Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-29-2023, 03:53 PM   #11
whswhs

Default Re: Quick Question: How to calculate HP of Horde?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertalexander View Post
It appears there might be a misinterpretation. According to GURPS Horror rules, the HP of the horde is correctly calculated as 60 (swarm HP) multiplied by the horde diameter in yards (10), resulting in 600 HP. The rules aim to scale the horde's resilience based on its size, not solely on individual members' HP.
The important point is that "size" is proportional to the diameter, which is the square root of the area.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 03:56 PM   #12
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

As noted 10 yards diameter is too large. A circle that large has an Area of 78.5 square yards. On a hexgrid a megahex with an apothem of 5 yards is 86 hexes. These guys have almost nine hexes apiece, hardly a dense horde. It makes very little sense to treat them as one entity.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 11-29-2023 at 04:03 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 09:13 PM   #13
Coinage

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Yes, it is, at least if you assume that the horde occupies a roughly circular area. So for your horde of 10, it would be 3.2 x individual HP, rounded off to 3 x individual HP.
Thank you very much.
Coinage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 04:35 PM   #14
Coinage

Quote:
Yes, it is, at least if you assume that the horde occupies a roughly circular area. So for your horde of 10, it would be 3.2 x individual HP, rounded off to 3 x individual HP.
I think that I would keep it even if the horde/mob were not in a circle but rather in some sort of military formation, like a square, like Roman legionaries are often depicted as doing in movies. I would do this just to simplify the calculations.
Old 11-30-2023, 08:12 PM   #15
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinage View Post
I think that I would keep it even if the horde/mob were not in a circle but rather in some sort of military formation, like a square, like Roman legionaries are often depicted as doing in movies. I would do this just to simplify the calculations.
That's not a bad approximation for a square formation. If it were in a narrower rectangle, it might be less accurate. Say for example that your ten creatures were in a column five long and only two wide. In that case, hitting it from the front might need you to take down five creatures, but hitting it from the side might only need you to take down two. Perhaps a Tactics roll would give you a chance of spotting a more favorable angle of attack.

But you could also decide not to get into this sort of complication—either assume that hordes are always circular or square or hexagonal, or just choose to disregard the tactical nuances.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 07:04 PM   #16
Coinage

Quote:
That's not a bad approximation for a square formation. If it were in a narrower rectangle, it might be less accurate. Say for example that your ten creatures were in a column five long and only two wide. In that case, hitting it from the front might need you to take down five creatures, but hitting it from the side might only need you to take down two. Perhaps a Tactics roll would give you a chance of spotting a more favorable angle of attack.

But you could also decide not to get into this sort of complication—either assume that hordes are always circular or square or hexagonal, or just choose to disregard the tactical nuances.
Right, I would have look up at historical calculations as to the effect of what a flanking attack, or a rear attack. Overall, I just would give bonuses or penalties for such tactics. In addition, for different formations, I would give different bonuses or penalties for different sides.