Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-05-2023, 09:20 PM   #1
cupbearer

Default Pummeling and Reach

Hi

Martial arts says you can pummel with a reach C or 1 weapon.

Im confused about what the rule means. Most weapons have a reach of 1 but may have a longer reach also, do they mean a reach of no longer than 1? Or do they mean if you have a minimum reach of 1 or C ?

In the case of weapons that take a ready to change reach, if you change it to reach 1 do they qualify as being able to Pummel?
Old 12-05-2023, 10:01 PM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: Pummeling and Reach

I believe it's stating that you can't pummel with anything longer than Reach 1. Swords, with a built-in dedicated pommel, get an exception to this. So, you can't pummel with a halberd, for example. I'd say weapons where you can take a Ready to switch Reach shouldn't be able to either - when you have such a weapon at Reach 1, this means a good deal of its handle/shaft is well beneath your hand, which doesn't really work for pummeling. An exception I would allow here would be with a whip - regardless of what Reach you have it Ready for, you should be able to pummel close foes with the handle.
Old 12-06-2023, 12:12 PM   #3
cupbearer

Default Re: Pummeling and Reach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
I believe it's stating that you can't pummel with anything longer than Reach 1. Swords, with a built-in dedicated pommel, get an exception to this. So, you can't pummel with a halberd, for example. I'd say weapons where you can take a Ready to switch Reach shouldn't be able to either - when you have such a weapon at Reach 1, this means a good deal of its handle/shaft is well beneath your hand, which doesn't really work for pummeling. An exception I would allow here would be with a whip - regardless of what Reach you have it Ready for, you should be able to pummel close foes with the handle.
Yeah i think you are right