Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 09-01-2011, 05:25 PM   #221
rknop

Default Re: [IC] In Nomine -- The Redemption of Eli

A couple of hours later (whatever an"hour" is in heaven) you come back to the Halls of Creation. Quite a number of Angels of all Choirs are standing around chatting, 25 or 30 in all. A you show up, a few of them greet Penny warmly, being at least old acquaintances.

"Ah, you're back, Buck says."

A seraph glides forward to address you. "I am Faber," the Most Holy says. It gets right to the point. "What do you wish to discuss with us?"
rknop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:33 PM   #222
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknop View Post
A couple of hours later (whatever an"hour" is in heaven) you come back to the Halls of Creation. Quite a number of Angels of all Choirs are standing around chatting, 25 or 30 in all. A you show up, a few of them greet Penny warmly, being at least old acquaintances.

"Ah, you're back, Buck says."

A seraph glides forward to address you. "I am Faber," the Most Holy says. It gets right to the point. "What do you wish to discuss with us?"
Rhoda/Rudy feels an exhilirating mix of anticipation and nervousness as she greets the Most Holy and views the crowd; the sort of thrill one gets when diving off a cliff or standing up in the roller coaster. Home territory for the Ofanim, in other words.

Still, there is courtesy to consider. She turns a moment to Penny. "Well, kiddo, the Wheels are in motion. Do you want to start or should I?"

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:50 PM   #223
rknop

Penny's flaming wheels shift around restlessly. She addresses Faber, saying, "Well, I wanted to report in. As you know, I haven't reported in before. And, um, here I am."

The very stable form of Faber regards the shifting and spinning form of Penny, and the Seraph responds, "Thank you. Do you bring us any news of our patron? What is your status where you are on the Corporeal plane?"

Penny, visibly nervous, again says, "I haven't seen Eli in years. I fear I can't bring you any news of him. That's why I'm finally checking in. Things are going well enough where I am; I'm supporting a small workshop where people modify and work on their bicycles. Some of them really are quite creative."

Some pride in the work she's done and the people that she has worked with comes through in what Penny says.

The Seraph says, "You are doing well. Supporting the word of Creation, and the cause of heaven, is our calling."

There is a pause, and the many-eyed gaze of Faber swings over in the direction of Rudy.

Let me know how you proceed.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:42 AM   #224
Rocket Man

Rudy takes a breath. Here goes, she thinks. She sends a silent apology to HR ... but to get anywhere, she's going to *have* to let out a little more than might be safe.

"I came up for two reasons," she tells the assembled Artists. "One was to help Penny out here -- she was nervous and scared about checkin' in with you all, and friends stand by friends, you know?"

She pauses, trying to let her peaceful, accepting Flowers nature soak in. The next bit is going to be tricky.

"The other was ... well, I'm worried about your Boss."

"Not worried the same way the Judges are," she says hastily, her flame tossing off a few pink roses in apology. "I guess I should say I'm worried for him. I heard tell that he's been ... well, strange, even for him. I still trust him -- I mean, the day that Flowers stop trusting the Creation they're part of, we might as well stop the show, right? -- but I'm worried that he might need help, that something might be happening where he needs friends behind him to lend a hand."

She tells the story of the demon-now-angel who heard Eli say "I could redeem you. I can still do that, I think" and then of her own friend who's edging step by slow step toward a Redemption of her own .... but could really use the helping hand that Eli could offer, if he can still remember how.

"The Judges are getting riled up again," she says. "They don't know what's goin' on, either, and well ... you know Judges when they hit somethin' they don't understand. They might be tryin' a move. And soon."

"Like I said, I trust Eli. I don't think he'd be up to anythin' bad. But whatever it is, I think he's gonna need help ... if nothin' else, someone who can smooth the waters and let folks know that everything's OK."

"And if he is in trouble -- or if something bad is happening -- well, it'd be better if his friends found out first, right?"

Suddenly drained, the Wheel begins to move in slower circles. "You don't know me. You got no reason to trust me, other than that we're angels in Heaven and Flower angels work with Creation angels. But for his sake -- for all our sakes -- I gotta ask. Is there anything you can tell me about him or what he's doing? Anything at all?"

Her wheels lock around Penny's in a gentle hug. Small petals of flame fall like tears. Those who can see her vessel-image within see small, slow streaks of water trace their way from her eyes across her face.

"Please ...." she chokes out. "Just ... please."

And then she slumps, convinced she's blown it. Lady, forgive me. I didn't know what else to do.

Last edited by Rocket Man; 09-05-2011 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Slight revision/clarification
Old 09-05-2011, 07:20 PM   #225
ladyarcana55

Soma steps forward and gently puts an arm around her Word-mate.

"Flowers and Creation have always been close. And our Lady asked us to find him and aid him IF he needed aid. But, more than that, check on him and see how he is. These are the same concerns I am sure you all have, and it is a task we would like to accomplish as much for you as for Her. In fact, it may be easier for us to accomplish than for you since there is a degree of scrutiny right now, scrutiny that would only hinder you. We ask that you allow us to handle that scrutiny. If there is anything you can tell us to aid us in this task, it would be appreciated. We only wish his well being."
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:13 PM   #226
rknop

[OOGM: Holy crap, I let 3 weeks go by! Sorry about that! Can you tell that the school year has started?]

As you watch, you can see several of the Creationers exchange glances when Rudy reports the part about how one of the Redeemed said that Eli thought he could still Redeem.

"Thank you for bringing this to us," the Seraph Faber says to. "We are grateful to hear from you, and we are grateful for the concern that Flowers has shown. All we would ask is that you continue to be as discrete as possible in any inquiries that you make. As you know, the reticence of our patron has made all of us suspect in the eyes of many of Judgement. The Truth of the matter remains... obscure."

The Heavenly tongue emphasizes the reverence that Faber feels for the word Truth as he says it.

"I hope you will forgive us if we do not completely share with you everything that we know about Creation."

When he says Creation, the implication is clear that he's talking about the person of Eli, rather than Creation in a broader sense. You can sense Buck and some others seeming vaguely uncomfortable as Faber makes this last statement.

"I will tell you this much, for I believe it may be one of the things most relevant to your search," the Seraph continues. "Sightings of Eli have been becoming rarer in the last few years. Many of the sightings seem inconsequential; he's seen at a party, or has left behind a minor artifact. Occasionally we hear of a redemption candidate, such as this angel Euodias you spoke to us of. In the last decade, though, we have received news from several of the Word-Bound in Creation whose Words have themes woven deeply into the Symphony, that Eli has met with them on the Corporeal plane, and spoken cryptically to them about 'carrying on the torch.' I myself am not particularly comfortable with metaphor, as best I have been able to understand speaking with angels better equipped to handel the dissembling speech of the mortal world, the implication would seem to be that Eli expected to be absent from Heaven for an extended period of time, perhaps not seen at all by any of his servitors. Is he going on a long expedition somewhere? We do not know."

"You may wish to seek out some of these Word-Bound and speak with them. It may well be that your perspective will bring to the question something that we in Creation have not been able to see. Although doubtless Eli has met with more than have reported to us, he has spoken at least with Music, New Life, Software-as-Art, and Graphic Novels."

It's apparent to you that as he lists each of those, he's talking about the particular Angel that holds that word; it's common (if not ubiquitous) in Heaven (and sometimes on Earth) for angels to refer to word-bound by the name of their Word rather than their more proper name.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:44 PM   #227
ladyarcana55

Soma bows to the group

"Thank you, that does help to give us a starting point"

To her Word mate...

"So where should we start?"
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:22 AM   #228
Rocket Man

Rudy bows as well. "Thank you. You've given us a lot of trust. We won't betray it."

As Soma asks her question, Rudy considers. "Well, Music and New Life are likely to be older and have more context - but they're also more likely to be watched by Judgment. Software-as-Art and Graphic Novels might be a little more below the radar, but we might have to do a little more runnin' around to fill in the blanks after we talk to 'em."

"Not that I object to runnin' around," she adds, laughing. "But, y'know, not everyone's me."

Old 10-23-2011, 07:56 AM   #229
rknop

Buck says, "Come on, let's walk."

He leads the three of you (including Penny) off, leaving the rest of the Committee behind.

"You probably won't be surprised to find out that Eric, the Angel of Software-As-Art, hangs out in the San Francisco Bay Area," Buck says. "He has a role as an underground hacker. Not hacker in terms of breaking into systems, but in terms of writing creative code. Or something like that-- to be honest, I've never fully understood it."

"Wendell, the Angel of Graphic Novels, is in Milwaukee, Oregon, where he has a role as an editor for Dark Horse Comics."

Let me know how you proceed. (As this seems to be the only thread of this game still going, if one of the other characters in the game wants to join these two, let's work out a way for that to happen! I'd like to pull back any of the players who are interested in continuing.)

(As a note, Baz, if you're still reading this, you may have heard of Eric.)

Tags
eli, in nomine, net play, pbp