Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 10-12-2021, 06:46 AM   #1
Lwi

Default Melee & Wizard

Hi everyone, I`m new here and wanted to ask if there is a forum or post more focused on melee, wizard and Death Test.
We are trying different strategies and stuff and we are not including talents and we are just attempting death test and Dueling.
We have many questions about team strategies and figure builds.
Is there a melee/wizard focused discord?

Last edited by Lwi; 10-12-2021 at 08:24 AM.
Lwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 09:14 AM   #2
Shostak

Default Re: Melee & Wizard

Welcome! Questions focused on Melee/Wizard are absolutely germane to this forum and the TFT Discord and TFT Facebook groups. Post away!
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 10:48 AM   #3
Lwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Welcome! Questions focused on Melee/Wizard are absolutely germane to this forum and the TFT Discord and TFT Facebook groups. Post away!
Thanks! I`m currently experimenting with builds without talents for Death Test.
-Is there any wizard build you would advice for a run with 3 other fighters?
-Are there any spells you consider useless?.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:34 AM   #4
hcobb

The best spell for Death Test 2 (after Staff) is Image.

Image duplicate one of your own figures and the enemy will be distracted a third of the time attempting to disbelieve them. (DT2 rulebook page 6)

Also nice when combined with Illusion duplicates.

Wizards should carry also carry daggers (even at -4 DX it beats HTH damage) and a bow or crossbow. (It won't be very accurate fire but it beats doing nothing when your ST is low.) This is all in addition to the staff of course.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:48 AM   #5
Shostak

If playing strictly by the DT rules, no healing is allowed, save or any magical healing you find in the labyrinth. This means DT is especially deadly for wizards who, unlike fighters, can't use their offensive abilities (other than staff) without spending ST. It is quite possible, on the other hand, for a fighter to suffer no wounds in a combat while killing the others. DT2 allows 15 minutes of rest after clearing a room, so a wizard gets back one point of fatigue.

I'd recommend that a wizard be at least 36 points to attempt the DT. At that point level, a low-IQ/high-ST & DX wizard might be the most survivable, especially if they take on a support role: ST 14, DX 13, IQ 9 could work if they don't get plugged with arrows and they don't cast too many spells.

Spells that cost a single point of ST to cast can be very effective: Fire, Drop Weapon, Clumsiness, Aid. Even Image has its place.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:12 PM   #6
Lwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
The best spell for Death Test 2 (after Staff) is Image.

Image duplicate one of your own figures and the enemy will be distracted a third of the time attempting to disbelieve them. (DT2 rulebook page 6)

Also nice when combined with Illusion duplicates.

Wizards should carry also carry daggers (even at -4 DX it beats HTH damage) and a bow or crossbow. (It won't be very accurate fire but it beats doing nothing when your ST is low.) This is all in addition to the staff of course.
Thanks for the advice! I underestimated image... and from now on I´m playing as if every wizard had a dagger and bow/xbow. For some reason i restricted myself mentally to 2 for weapon and 2 slots for armor.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:18 PM   #7
Lwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
If playing strictly by the DT rules, no healing is allowed, save or any magical healing you find in the labyrinth. This means DT is especially deadly for wizards who, unlike fighters, can't use their offensive abilities (other than staff) without spending ST. It is quite possible, on the other hand, for a fighter to suffer no wounds in a combat while killing the others. DT2 allows 15 minutes of rest after clearing a room, so a wizard gets back one point of fatigue.

I'd recommend that a wizard be at least 36 points to attempt the DT. At that point level, a low-IQ/high-ST & DX wizard might be the most survivable, especially if they take on a support role: ST 14, DX 13, IQ 9 could work if they don't get plugged with arrows and they don't cast too many spells.

Spells that cost a single point of ST to cast can be very effective: Fire, Drop Weapon, Clumsiness, Aid. Even Image has its place.
Yes, I intend to play it with DT rules for a while before trying some other stuff. I built a couple 34 pts wizard. I´ll make and try the 36 pts one you suggest with those spells... Some armor on him?.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:36 PM   #8
Shostak

You could try leather armor, but Thrown spells are going to suffer from range penalties, so a high adjDX is important.

Images of walls can be effective, too, for corralling enemies or to protect an ally's rear hex.
Old 10-12-2021, 07:33 PM   #9
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwi View Post
Thanks for the advice! I underestimated image... and from now on I´m playing as if every wizard had a dagger and bow/xbow. For some reason i restricted myself mentally to 2 for weapon and 2 slots for armor.
Wizard rules say wizards get two weapons and a dagger and staff counts as a weapon. Carrying extra weapons restricts movement the same as gold bars. (Which makes me wonder if a wizard with only staff and dagger carries one gold bar for free?)
Old 10-12-2021, 07:53 PM   #10
Lwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Wizard rules say wizards get two weapons and a dagger and staff counts as a weapon. Carrying extra weapons restricts movement the same as gold bars. (Which makes me wonder if a wizard with only staff and dagger carries one gold bar for free?)
Not bad for extra utility!
How about pets? wizard rules states an advanced character might have a pet and provide the pet wolf example. I was thinking about making the pet cost at least 2 points. So a 36 pt character wit a pet would be 34 or even 32.