Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-01-2017, 10:18 AM   #21
Refplace

Default Re: Time to Cast a Spell Question and comabt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lameth View Post
Ok your thoughts on the cost equation maybe? Maybe something like a +2 FP as they do in the Psi Book for using a Technique? Therefore something like "[I]by a -4 to skill, and an additional +2FP, the casting is able to do an All Out Concentration on Missile Spells of only 1 second. This allows a mage to Concentrate and throw a missile spell in the same turn. By doing this the caster is giving up his active defenses for that turn as per All Out."[/I]

thoughts? Ideas?

And has anyone used the Range and Speed chart for spells instead of -1 per hex for regular spells? In thinking on it and wanted to know if any one has an special rules or tweaks on that idea? thank you
On a missile spell the energy or whatever is held in your hand is created at the end of your casting. That takes a Concentrate.
The next turn it can be held, or thrown which would require some form of Attack maneuver.
So if I were to allow casting and throwing in the same turn I would go with....
  • ATR which allows Two Maneuvers
  • CM which allows a Concentrate anda Physical Maneuver
  • Instant Cast at -10 skill which borrows from other examples of Instant Skill use.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:22 AM   #22
Lameth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
On a missile spell the energy or whatever is held in your hand is created at the end of your casting. That takes a Concentrate.
The next turn it can be held, or thrown which would require some form of Attack maneuver.
So if I were to allow casting and throwing in the same turn I would go with....
  • ATR which allows Two Maneuvers
  • CM which allows a Concentrate anda Physical Maneuver
  • Instant Cast at -10 skill which borrows from other examples of Instant Skill use.
Interesting. I'm not allowing ATR or CM, but option 3 is a "maybe".
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:50 PM   #23
Lameth

Playing with this idea

All Out Attack [Missile Spell]You cast a Missile spell with blinding speed. You are able to Concentrate, have the spell appear in your hand, and throw it, all within one turn. You may take a -4 to skill, and give up your Active Defenses, or instead take -10 to skill to keep your active defenses. In both conditions this action will cost the spell caster an additional 2 Fatigue for that spell. Using this ability removes the ability of building the spell, but the caster is allowed the option to hold it or dispel if the situation changes.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:03 PM   #24
Refplace

Quote:
Playing with this idea

All Out Attack [Missile Spell]You cast a Missile spell with blinding speed. You are able to Concentrate, have the spell appear in your hand, and throw it, all within one turn. You may take a -4 to skill, and give up your Active Defenses, or instead take -10 to skill to keep your active defenses. In both conditions this action will cost the spell caster an additional 2 Fatigue for that spell. Using this ability removes the ability of building the spell, but the caster is allowed the option to hold it or dispel if the situation changes.
I dont really like it.
-4 to skill is easy to soak and the higher skill to do so gives other benefits such as reduced energy cost.
The extra 2 FP and penalty to Active Defenses are more meaningful but its kind of clunky and I think still too much in favor of mages.
A M3 caster could toss a 3d missile much less expensively (point wise) then an archer.

I think a better model could be based off Move and Attack, the Wild Swing type penalty could keep archers from being overtaken.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 11-01-2017, 01:15 PM   #25
Lameth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I dont really like it.
-4 to skill is easy to soak and the higher skill to do so gives other benefits such as reduced energy cost.
The extra 2 FP and penalty to Active Defenses are more meaningful but its kind of clunky and I think still too much in favor of mages.
A M3 caster could toss a 3d missile much less expensively (point wise) then an archer.

I think a better model could be based off Move and Attack, the Wild Swing type penalty could keep archers from being overtaken.
ok I see your point, then how would you write it up as ?

Last edited by Lameth; 11-01-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:54 PM   #26
Refplace

Quote:
ok I see your point, then how would you write up as ?
Concentrate and Attack
Based off Move and Attack and uses all the modifiers there. Including -2 skill on your attack with a missile spell or -4 with an effective cap of 9- on a Touch based spell. However instead of moving you remain still and may only move a Step. Instead of the -2 for a missile spell Bulk penalties apply if using an item in the casting if that is worse. Also if foot movement and gestures are required apply an additional -2. This also costs 1 extra FP from Extra Effort which may not be taken from an ER (magic).
Active Defenses: Dodge or Block only and if a defense is used requires a Will-3 to continue casting the spell, roll for each defense used.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 11-01-2017, 09:58 PM   #27
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald387 View Post
I can say from experience that allowing 'cast and blast' with Missile spells doesn't unbalance anything, at least not in GURPS Dungeon Fantasy: while comparing it to a fighter throwing a knife means the knife-thrower loses out, the more accurate comparison is the Scout, who fast-draws two arrows a turn from his Cornucopia Quivers and fires them both for anywhere from 1d+6 to 2d+4 damage each with (usually) much higher skill and better range, no FP cost, and multiple damage options (cutting arrows, bodkins, etc).

Beside that, giving the mage the ability to spend a bunch of FP for a missile spell that he can cast and throw in a single turn is definitely balanced.
My main concern is faster casting of really big missile spells, but now that I think about it, knocking one second off a three second cast, followed by time to aim (because when you're throwing 9+ dice costing 7+ FP downrange you don't want to miss) isn't really going to make a difference. So, I now agree with you.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
instance spell, reduced time