Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-19-2016, 06:42 PM   #11
Anthony

Default Re: Snakes and Size Modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I never said mammalian snake. I said mammal of comparable mass, which is still silly. 30 lb snakes will not eat anywhere near as much as 30 lbs mammals.
That's because you're comparing reptiles to mammals, has nothing to do with body configuration.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:34 PM   #12
Flyndaran
Untagged

Okay, you're right I miswrote.
I should have said, "comparably massed reptile".
A thirty pound snake should eat almost exactly the same amount as a thirty pound lizard regardless of how they differ in SM by longest dimension.

Frequenting the 130 character limited site Imgur has promoted some bad habits. Brevity should never take priority over clarity.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:06 PM   #13
Anthony

Quote:
A thirty pound snake should eat almost exactly the same amount as a thirty pound lizard regardless of how they differ in SM by longest dimension.
I'm not convinced that's true, but unless you're making a comparison to a turtle (which will eat less...) there's not really going to be that much difference; standard lizard configurations aren't dramatically different from snakes in terms of surface area vs body.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:44 PM   #14
Flyndaran
Untagged

Come on. You must be intentionally misunderstanding me. A 7 foot long 10 lb SM+1 rattlesnake will not eat as much as a 7 foot long 150 lb SM+1 Komodo dragon.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:12 PM   #15
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran
Come on. You must be intentionally misunderstanding me. A 7 foot long 10 lb SM+1 rattlesnake will not eat as much as a 7 foot long 150 lb SM+1 Komodo dragon.
No, I don't think he's intentionally misunderstanding you. Your initial statement that he was responding to was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran
When he responded that he didn't think a 30 lb. lizard would differ significantly from a 30 lb. snake you responded by comparing a 10 lb. rattlesnake to a 750 lb. Komodo dragon. To make the point clearer, mass is measured in lbs. and the mass of the Komodo dragon differs from the mass of the 10 lb. rattlesnake by a factor of 75x.

Now, a 7 ft. Komodo dragon may very well eat more that a 7 ft. rattlesnake but that's essentially SM by length which is directly the opposite of your post which stated "regardless of how they differ by SM."
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:24 PM   #16
Anthony

Quote:
It also doesn't have anywhere comparable surface area.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:52 PM   #17
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
SM's usage really being about area is somewhat true, but it's projection area, not surface area.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:49 AM   #18
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
SM's usage really being about area is somewhat true, but it's projection area, not surface area.
While true, they tend to be fairly closely correlated.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:49 AM   #19
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
In R.A.W. SM is about longest dimension with a slight adjustment for unusual shapes.
I don't see any suggestion for making a 7 foot snake -3 SM for food requirments as the aforementioned 10 lb snake should have.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:22 AM   #20
Lord Azagthoth

I use a house rule for starships (which could be implemented for creatures) which I call Tactical SM. I just wrote down the SM for all sides (top, ventral, left, right, front, and back) and it becomes relevant for the attacker and defender to take tactical postions either to get the best chance of hitting or trying to get the best chance for your attacker to miss.

Instead of Quick Contest Piloting rolls to get this advantage, you have to roll against Tactics or another appropriate skill.

Dark Lord Azagthoth

Star Wars - TRPG
Lord Azagthoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
size modifier