Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-17-2021, 07:49 AM   #1
JohnPaulB

Default Proper Medical Care

ITL states

Recovering from Injury
Wounded characters may be healed in several ways:
Time. If you make it back to the surface alive and get proper medical care, you will recover at the rate of one point of damage (that is, one “hit”) every two days.

1 point every other day works out to 3˝ points every week.

The way I play it is:

Get plenty of rest/sleep (8 straight hours) in a worry free, dry, warm environment; eat appropriately healthy food; and supervised by a ‘take two herbs (aspirin) and call me in the morning’ hedge healer-type or your party’s physicker.
Example: Spend your nights at an decent Inn, with decent food. Often a hot meal is proper medical care.

Travelling rough areas, camping in cold or swamps, under constant threat of attack would not be conducive to natural healing (my opinion for the game), so natural healing might spread out to 1 point every three days or even not at all.

But I’m wondering if the original intent of ‘proper’ medical care was go spend time in a hospital?

And is there a way this 'two to one' ratio can be increased to 'one to one'?

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:40 AM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: Proper Medical Care

ITL 61: "regular convalescent care is around $30/day."

Which is the same rate as hiring a full time Master Physicker as per ITL 58.
on top of:
ITL 57: "A character with pretensions to social standing ought to spend at least $50 a week for living expenses"
Old 09-17-2021, 11:02 AM   #3
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulB View Post
But I’m wondering if the original intent of ‘proper’ medical care was go spend time in a hospital?
Maybe, but that seems like an overly-realistic (meaning probably less fun) way to play it.

Quote:
And is there a way this 'two to one' ratio can be increased to 'one to one'?
This could be an opportune way to privilege investing in ST through another rare talent with a high ST prerequisite:

IQ 0 Fast Healer (2) A Fast Healer's wounds heal naturally at twice the normal rate. Prerequisite: ST 14.

Also:

Handicap Slow Healer Characters with this handicap heal one ST naturally at a rate of one extra day per point of handicap (max three).
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:23 PM   #4
JohnPaulB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Maybe, but that seems like an overly-realistic (meaning probably less fun) way to play it.

This could be an opportune way to privilege investing in ST through another rare talent with a high ST prerequisite:

IQ 0 Fast Healer (2) A Fast Healer's wounds heal naturally at twice the normal rate. Prerequisite: ST 14.

Also:

Handicap Slow Healer Characters with this handicap heal one ST naturally at a rate of one extra day per point of handicap (max three).
I like those.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:35 PM   #5
timm meyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post

Also:

Great idea!! but fast healing is too much of a genetic description for me. Can you "learn" to regenerate?

I would suggest the name and or description be more like "Pain Tolerance" or "Recovery" and described as a practiced trait that helps ignore the bruises, puckered wounds and learning to adjust your activity to facilitate faster recuperation.
timm meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:01 PM   #6
Axly Suregrip

This post started as questions about how the game works, and turned into suggested house rules. Maybe this thread should be moved to the House Rules forum... or better yet, a new threat started for it in House Rules.

JohnPaul asked:
1) But I’m wondering if the original intent of ‘proper’ medical care was go spend time in a hospital?
2) And is there a way this 'two to one' ratio can be increased to 'one to one'?

Answers:
1) Most folks play it as you do: rest in safe place. Medical care beyond that is already in the rules: physickers and health potions. This implies rest is all it is requiring.
2) No way to increase the healing rate, as per the rules, outside health potions and wishes.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:34 PM   #7
TippetsTX

But, if we're going to move this to the House-Rule forum anyway...

I was thinking about recovery rates earlier this year (actual ST damage, not fatigue) and decided to ignore the "proper medical care" implication and instead grant a bonus when a character is under the watchful care of a PHYSICKER or MASTER PHYSICKER. I've been playtesting this with a PHYSICKER providing double the normal rate of healing (at $30/day) and triple the rate for a MASTER PHYSICKER (at $100/day).
Old 09-28-2021, 09:08 PM   #8
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by timm meyers View Post
Great idea!! but fast healing is too much of a genetic description for me. Can you "learn" to regenerate?
Thanks! TFT has talents, but not advantages, so something like Fast Healing has no other place to go, just like Acute Hearing (which also seems like something innate as opposed to learned).
Old 09-28-2021, 09:11 PM   #9
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post

I was thinking about recovery rates earlier this year (actual ST damage, not fatigue) and decided to ignore the "proper medical care" implication and instead grant a bonus when a character is under the watchful care of a PHYSICKER or MASTER PHYSICKER. I've been playtesting this with a PHYSICKER providing double the normal rate of healing (at $30/day) and triple the rate for a MASTER PHYSICKER (at $100/day).
That’s totally workable, too.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:18 AM   #10
hcobb

I have my own fix for self-healing without any medical care here, which is useful for dragons and other untalented beasts.

https://www.hcobb.com/tft/house_rules.html#IQ11Talents