Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 05-29-2023, 09:53 AM   #1
GoblynByte

Default GCA5 Error in Weapon Master Damage Bonus

I have noted that when adding the Weapon Master Damage Bonus modifier to a shield, it displays a code (instead of calculating damage) for shield bash in the Melee Attacks window and the printed character sheet. This appears to happen in both the default library (Basic Set 4e) and when using the Dungeon Fantasy RPG book. Message reads in part: "1d+2 cr slam+2+@if(16 = ST:DX+1 THEN @textindexedvalue(,(*thr*,owner::basethdice)..." It goes on from there but it's a long code. Is there a way to tweak this on the user end? Thanks in advance!
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
GoblynByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 09:54 AM   #2
GoblynByte

Default Re: GCA5 Error in Weapon Master Damage Bonus

Oh, some useful info. Using version 5.0.212.0.
A sense of obligation."
Old 05-29-2023, 12:07 PM   #3
Armin
GCA Prime

Thanks for letting me know. There seems to be a bunch going on, but it also seems there are a bunch of places in the files now that use some code that isn't actually supported. I'll have to look into that further, because it'll be an ongoing problem.

Okay, here's a way you can fix it for now. Note that there appear to be checks in the existing _Advantage: Weapon Master Damage Bonus for various other modifiers, but I've removed those here. You'll just have to be sure that you're not applying the modifier when it shouldn't apply.

Open up the Modifier in the Edit Modifiers dialog. Drag open the gives row so that you can see all the text it contains. Double click on the Values text so that it becomes editable, and then delete all the text there.

Then, carefully cut out this text, and paste it into the gives Value field instead:
Code:
=+@if( owner::charskillscore = ST:DX+1 THEN @basethdice(owner::chareffectivest) ) to owner::damage bymode where damage includes "thr",
=+@if( owner::charskillscore > ST:DX+1 THEN 2*@basethdice(owner::chareffectivest) ) to owner::damage bymode where damage includes "thr",
=+@if( owner::charskillscore = ST:DX+1 THEN @baseswdice(owner::chareffectivest) ) to owner::damage bymode where damage includes "sw",
=+@if( owner::charskillscore > ST:DX+1 THEN 2*@baseswdice(owner::chareffectivest) ) to owner::damage bymode where damage includes "sw"
Click OK, and OK any other dialogs that you opened to get to Edit Modifiers, and if we got all the steps right, your Shield should be showing bonus damage for Bash but not Rush, and nothing should be wonky any more.
Old 05-29-2023, 01:33 PM   #4
Armin
GCA Prime

While this solution will probably work fine here, for now, but it's not a universal solution, since it references mode-specific tags that can't actually be resolved individually for each mode. That's why such things are usually added to 'damage$', which does resolve per mode. I'll have to look more closely at options for these.
Old 05-29-2023, 06:54 PM   #5
Armin
GCA Prime

And just converting to focus on damage$, this is probably a more generally useful and more widely applicable version of the gives():

Code:
=+@if( $modetag(charskillscore) = ST:DX+1 THEN @basethdice($modetag(chareffectivest)) ) to owner::damage$ bymode where damage includes "thr",
=+@if( $modetag(charskillscore) > ST:DX+1 THEN 2*@basethdice($modetag(chareffectivest)) ) to owner::damage$ bymode where damage includes "thr",
=+@if( $modetag(charskillscore) = ST:DX+1 THEN @baseswdice($modetag(chareffectivest)) ) to owner::damage$ bymode where damage includes "sw",
=+@if( $modetag(charskillscore) > ST:DX+1 THEN 2*@baseswdice($modetag(chareffectivest)) ) to owner::damage$ bymode where damage includes "sw"
It's a bit scarier looking, but by using $modetag() we can get the active mode values when the bonus to damage$ is processed, so if there are different skill scores for the different modes, the bonuses should still work as expected.

(ETA: If you change things up so that the bonus also applies to the 'slam' damage of Rush, then you'll see wonkiness again. I still need to figure out why processing of those text bonuses doesn't proceed as expected (which would be turning the damage from 'slam+3' to 'slam+3+bonus result' and solving down to 'slam+X'.)

Last edited by Armin; 05-29-2023 at 06:59 PM.
Armin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 11:24 AM   #6
Armin
GCA Prime

I've come up with something within GCA that I think will fix the issue with the existing Weapon Master damage bonus modifiers (and any others that use the same data construction).

If we don't see any issues with it, then it'll be in the next general release. This fix will mean that the existing modifiers will work as intended, without modification, even on characters that already have it in use.
Old 07-12-2023, 12:46 PM   #7
GoblynByte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
I've come up with something within GCA that I think will fix the issue with the existing Weapon Master damage bonus modifiers (and any others that use the same data construction).

If we don't see any issues with it, then it'll be in the next general release. This fix will mean that the existing modifiers will work as intended, without modification, even on characters that already have it in use.
Thank you for all your hard work!!
A sense of obligation."
Old 07-12-2023, 01:53 PM   #8
Armin
GCA Prime

Now I just have to get a beta ready, so I can then get a general release ready, and then get it out to folks. Unfortunately, that will be a little bit yet.