Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 09-13-2010, 12:06 PM   #641
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Default Re: Art for games

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn0wball View Post
Actually, this is reasonably close to being a parody of, say, naming conventions for German NPCs from RPG supplements of the 80ies or 90ies.
The player isn't usually the kind who does parodies, but that makes it easier on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn0wball View Post
Gramatically, it ought be Großmütiger Kämpfer. As an adjective, Großmütig is awfully quaint. It is translated with magnanimous. Should is mean something like courageous? Than tapfer would be a better term. Kämpfer, on the other hand, translates as fighter, but does not sound very prestigious. Here, Krieger might sound better.
They told me it was supposed to be "Noble Warrior, with Großmütig meaning "noble," but could also mean "handsome." Me, I just going to start calling him "Lady Bug."
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:08 AM   #642
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

In accordance with my "I'm getting better" policy, I've done a new version of, technically, the first picture I ever posted in this thread.

Here's the updated version of Alishira and her summon, Salamander.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:05 AM   #643
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
"I'm getting better"
You really are. Just the other day I came poking around in this thread and I was stunned by how much you've improved. Well done!
Old 09-15-2010, 09:55 AM   #644
Bruno

Quote:
They told me it was supposed to be "Noble Warrior, with Großmütig meaning "noble," but could also mean "handsome." Me, I just going to start calling him "Lady Bug."
Krieger is a much better choice than Kämpfer then - Krieg is "War", and Krieger definitely translates well to the English "Warrior", both literally and poetically, with basically the same cultural connotations in both language. Connotations of "warrior caste", "warrior mentality", "warrior honor", etc. A fighter/Kämpfer is someone who gets into fights ie fist-fights, boxing matches, brawls, etc are all likely.

Edelmütig Krieger or Edelen Krieger might be closer?

I like Ladybug though ;)

Last edited by Bruno; 09-15-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:16 AM   #645
Bruno

Working on a picture for the dwarf cleric Beltarne in our online game, this is the raw render:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerril/4992914140/

Things I need to fix up

- thicker moustache, it's come out like a facial comb-over.
- texture on the right elbow has stretched badly
- texture on the left shoulder is stretched out but not nearly so bad, may leave it if I can't touch it up.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:39 PM   #646
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Quote:
Well, that's what he's doing: He's counting 1's on his right hand, and 5's on his left. He's at 16.
Bah, amateur. When I counted on my fingers, I used one hand for the 1s and the other for the 10s.

(Start with fist. Left index finger out straight is 1, pinkie is 4, thumb is five. Crook index finger half-down for 6, etc. First finger of right hand is 10s. Pretty easy to do under the desk...)
Old 09-16-2010, 04:41 PM   #647
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth View Post
Bah, amateur. When I counted on my fingers, I used one hand for the 1s and the other for the 10s.
Bah, amateur. If you're willing to use binary you can count from 1 to 1023 on your fingers.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:09 PM   #648
mlangsdorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Working on a picture for the dwarf cleric Beltarne in our online game, this is the raw render:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerril/4992914140/

Things I need to fix up

- thicker moustache, it's come out like a facial comb-over.
- texture on the right elbow has stretched badly
- texture on the left shoulder is stretched out but not nearly so bad, may leave it if I can't touch it up.
Ooh, nice.

Seems awfully shiny for how I usually picture Beltarne, but then again, I'm not sure how easy it is to add dents to the shield.
mlangsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:17 PM   #649
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
Ooh, nice.

Seems awfully shiny for how I usually picture Beltarne, but then again, I'm not sure how easy it is to add dents to the shield.
(I can't see the pics from work)

You can use the d-former tool in Daz|Studio to add dents. I had to use it to fix Pink's boots (among other things).
Old 09-17-2010, 12:36 AM   #650
mook

So I downloaded DAZ. Installed it. Downloaded and installed all of the currently offered free models. Booted it up ... and remembered, "Oh yeah, I have no graphically artistic talent beyond stick figures."

Was fun posing the little virtual figures for a few minutes, but yeah - might as well read an algebra book to a dog. I'll leave art to the professionals (and semi-professionals, and amateurs).
mook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
art