Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 10-18-2018, 10:20 AM   #11
hcobb

Default Re: Alternate XP progression schedule

If each point of IQ doesn't add a SP then NPC construction needs to determine which talents and spells the NPC had at each point in time in order to determine the XPs spent, and hence the innate difficulty of the encounter. If you do get the bonus SPs then you can just calculate the cost from the final result.

This also applies to PCs with a specific goal in mind. With the bonus SPs all routes to the destination have the same cost and so the player can operate tactically. If the link doesn't exist then players need to plan out the entire route.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:28 AM   #12
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
If each point of IQ doesn't add a SP then NPC construction needs to determine which talents and spells the NPC had at each point in time in order to determine the XPs spent, and hence the innate difficulty of the encounter. If you do get the bonus SPs then you can just calculate the cost from the final result.

This also applies to PCs with a specific goal in mind. With the bonus SPs all routes to the destination have the same cost and so the player can operate tactically. If the link doesn't exist then players need to plan out the entire route.
Not sure I follow... my proposal assumes that IQ increases will be the primary source for the addition of new talents/spells for both PCs and NPCs post character creation (at least until stat total reaches the mid-40s).
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:33 AM   #13
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Talents from ST and DX increases? No, I don't like that. Those stats already have plenty of inherent 'value' w/o adding another benefit. Plus I can't really see the logic in connecting those physical attributes to skill acquisition (beyond their current role as prerequisites).
I don't see it as "adding value" to those stats, especially when you get more SP from increase IQ. I see it as "what happens when you gain XP". To each his own though.

The stat increase isn't what's giving the SP. It's the XP that went into the stat increase.

Last edited by platimus; 10-18-2018 at 10:39 AM.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:39 AM   #14
platimus

Quote:

I'm not sure I entirely follow this either but what I think I do follow, follows what I was thinking! LOL

If I'm reading your "goal" correctly, that same goal was the inspiration for this rule. My original thought was to simply say that SP = 10 at character creation (or whatever the average of ST+DX+IQ comes out to be). After that, you get 1 SP every time you raise a stat. I added an extra point for IQ because I thought Tippets would like that. I'd actually prefer 1 SP per stat increase. Period. The stat increase isn't what's giving the 1 SP. It's the XP that went into the stat increase. Therefore, SP is given by the stat-total of the character.

SP = (current stat-total) - (starting stat-total) + (starting stat-total)/3

Whether you use that formula for PC advancement or not, it would seem like a good rule-of-thumb for building NPCs.

SP = (current stat-total)/2 would probably work just as well for a rule-of-thumb though.

Last edited by platimus; 10-18-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:44 AM   #15
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
I don't see it as "adding value" to those stats, especially when you get more SP from increase IQ. I see it as "what happens when you gain XP". To each his own though.
For me, that would remove one of the key aspects that I associate w/ TFT character advancement... the choice I must weigh out in deciding which attribute to increase. Do I bump my ST so I can start using a greatsword or go with another IQ point and get the Strategist talent that I have been 'studying'?
Old 10-18-2018, 10:48 AM   #16
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
For me, that would remove one of the key aspects that I associate w/ TFT character advancement... the choice I must weigh out in deciding which attribute to increase. Do I bump my ST so I can start using a greatsword or go with another IQ point and get the Strategist talent that I have been 'studying'?
It doesn't remove that at all if you give extra SP for IQ increases. I don't see how you can think that. But like I said, to each his own.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:59 AM   #17
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
It doesn't remove that at all if you give extra SP for IQ increases. I don't see how you can think that. But like I said, to each his own.
I guess part of my problem is the idea that IQ and SP are two different things. My preference is to use the original model where IQ equals your talent/spell pool, period.

I have made an allowance, however, for the purchase of talents/spells using XP to see how it will work and effect gameplay over time.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:49 PM   #18
Skarg

Skill points based on ST & DX seems peculiar conceptually to me, and also seems like heading back towards people mostly/always using XP to improve attributes.

Also for me it competes with what I and several others thought was the new system until we read it in detail, which would be to have everyone have skill points equal to IQ, with an option to add more for 500 XP per point. It's consistent conceptually and with the character creation system, works like the old system, and avoids the problem with using the 500 XP method being so expensive compared to attributes for low-attribute-total characters.

The house rules I'm toying with (in addition to tweaking the attribute cost curve) is un-removing the time/teacher rules for learning things, and adding something about learning talents with time/teacher and not requiring XP. i.e. A way to buy talents/spells like the 500XP method, but costing training time rather than XP (more time than if you have unused skill points from IQ).
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:21 PM   #19
hcobb

There are no magical items on Cidri.

Greater Magic Item Creation requires IQ 20, and DX 15 to succeed most weeks, plus ST 8 is 43 attribute points plus one spell.

That's 102900 XP. At 600 XP per year that's 171.5 years. With a 2% chance of death each month (Assuming youth potions, I guess?) that's one in 10^19 of wizards which are only 1 in 500 of the population.

The Mnoren never explored enough worlds to reach this much wizardly population.

Q.E.D.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:07 PM   #20
Skarg

Quote:
There are no magical items on Cidri.

Greater Magic Item Creation requires IQ 20, and DX 15 to succeed most weeks, plus ST 8 is 43 attribute points plus one spell.

That's 102900 XP. At 600 XP per year that's 171.5 years. With a 2% chance of death each month (Assuming youth potions, I guess?) that's one in 10^19 of wizards which are only 1 in 500 of the population.

The Mnoren never explored enough worlds to reach this much wizardly population.

Q.E.D.
Who needs to succeed "most" weeks? Isn't DX 11 going to succeed "most" weeks?

Do Lesser Magic Items and Weapon/Armor Enchantment not count as magical items?
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote