Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 09-17-2022, 03:55 PM   #1
SourMunchkin

Default Question about resolve sequence

Hey everyone!

So I have a specific case about resolve row of mate and wandering monster.

I play a monster and 2nd player puts Mate plus enhancers. I am
Able to combat all of those and after I announce that my score is enough to beat the mates score, 3rd player plays Wandering monster.
So my question is whether once you beat the score of a mate it’s description which is that you gain two levels for defeating the mate resolves and combat ends or the wandering monster score is added to the mate despite your combat points already being over the Mate monster score?

Had a bit of a bratty discussion about this but our group often takes liberty with the rules so I’d like to know what everyone thinks.

Thanks!
SourMunchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 05:17 PM   #2
Mr_Draco

Default Re: Question about resolve sequence

Combat doesn't just end because you are winning. Combat needs to be declared won and over which usually happens after everyone had a chance to react.

So in a friendly game, after you tell everyone that you are winning, the other players have a chance to play Wandering Monster or enhancers. Then declare combat won and over after they all had a option to play something. What we do is we go around the table and ask each person if they want to play something and if they all say no, then combat is declared over. Remember this is just a nice, friendly way to play.

Now you could be a dick and just as soon as you are winning, declare combat over and you won before players have a chance to react. No rule against this but this is a quick and easy way to make sure no one ever plays with you again.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 06:05 PM   #3
SourMunchkin

Yeah, we do the same. Its just that the mate was fought over a minute and a half and often players just wait to see if one person can waste their combat cards as so they do not waste theirs on a certain fight, hence why I asked if you resolve one monster and another is added after that defeat, whether monsters unite in strength or you fight the new one individually, because they were not put by other players simultaneously
SourMunchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 06:30 PM   #4
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourMunchkin View Post
Yeah, we do the same. Its just that the mate was fought over a minute and a half and often players just wait to see if one person can waste their combat cards as so they do not waste theirs on a certain fight, hence why I asked if you resolve one monster and another is added after that defeat, whether monsters unite in strength or you fight the new one individually, because they were not put by other players simultaneously
Monsters are never fought individually, they are always fought at the same time. Once victory or defeat is declared, combat is over and they can not add another monster.

It is risky holding on to your cards like that and after several minutes of no one adding cards, I most definitely would have "Well since no one is going to do anything about it then I win." "Oh now you want to add a monster? Sorry but you should have done that earlier. You had more than enough time to do something but instead decided to wait and see."
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote