Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2022, 12:22 AM   #1421
Hide
 
Hide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Pacifica confirms the possibility of an attack, she tells him to be patient and asks him to create a diversion to reduce the enemy focus on the command centers. She also tells him that if ďall things are OKĒ in the targeted locations, without notice of Dread Stormer attack, it might mean the operations have been successful. Thatís among the important information he must share ASAP (following the plan).
__________________
- 画龍点睛。Hide。
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 08:41 AM   #1422
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Daymar, give me another roll for the sergeant. his skill is 12 - 2 (causalities) + 2 (position) = 12

The opposition rolled an 11. The effective skill is 13 (base) -4 (causalities) -2 (leader shot dead) =7, for failure by four.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
[998] 22-05-19 18:32:13 CEST

Pookivo Strategy roll

3d6 <= 12
3 + 5 + 2 = 10 ... success by 2
With a success by six, another +2 position is taken, and 10% causulties (~4) for the dreadstormer forces and 20% causalities for the loyalists (~10). The loyalists are at a net -8, and so retreat! They won't inflict causalities, but get a +8 to their roll and they get to get away! The dreadstormers will still control the entrances to the officer's quarters.

they roll... an 18. wow. failure by 15. Gnomes, go ahead and roll vs skill 8 (12 - 4 causalities).

Quote:
Well that's ~8% of the enemy force, so let's take them out. Hopefully this goes quickly enough so I can get the battleplans back early enough to be actionable.

Going with a photorefraction, stealth, and Beam Weapons -1 (Maximum Aiming [6 base +2 for 3 turns, not sure if bracing applies], neck targetting [-5], assuming 10 yard range [-4]) roll for each.
Perception check... 7. that's vs. the 12. The photoreception is negating being essentially in plain sight, with +2 for having to worry about being shot. They succeed by three, and two open up wild fire in the area (supressing fire with a skill of 8)

both miss, but its a wild experience.

The third shot in the neck drops an attacker.


At this point, the successful battle up top is reaching this position, and Hua's quarry flee.

Quote:
Pacifica confirms the possibility of an attack, she tells him to be patient and asks him to create a diversion to reduce the enemy focus on the command centers. She also tells him that if “all things are OK” in the targeted locations, without notice of Dread Stormer attack, it might mean the operations have been successful. That’s among the important information he must share ASAP (following the plan).
Vinobi rolls his eyes and mutters something about "operational insecurity", then says he will cause a diversion in 10 minutes that should last for about 20 minutes, and leaves to report back.


It might be a good time to coordinate between the two groups.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 10:05 AM   #1423
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
With a success by six, another +2 position is taken, and 10% causulties (~4) for the dreadstormer forces and 20% causalities for the loyalists (~10). The loyalists are at a net -8, and so retreat! They won't inflict causalities, but get a +8 to their roll and they get to get away! The dreadstormers will still control the entrances to the officer's quarters.

they roll... an 18. wow. failure by 15. Gnomes, go ahead and roll vs skill 8 (12 - 4 causalities).
Wouldn't that be a failure by 7 once the retreat bonus is taken into account, and the skill being rolled against be 12 because there's a total position bonus of 4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Perception check... 7. that's vs. the 12. The photoreception is negating being essentially in plain sight, with +2 for having to worry about being shot. They succeed by three, and two open up wild fire in the area (supressing fire with a skill of 8)

both miss, but its a wild experience.
Laser's flying everywhere, I briefly wonder if I could adapt my photorefraction into something that would deflect laser fire. Then I hear a gunshot somewhere and think better of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
At this point, the successful battle up top is reaching this position, and Hua's quarry flee.
I'll try to slip into the mass trying to retreat into the officer's quarters.

Quote:
[1006] 22-05-30 18:05:11 CEST
Photorefraction
3d6 <= 15
6 + 1 + 1 = 8 ... success
[1005] 22-05-30 18:04:39 CEST
Stealth
3d6 <= 16
6 + 4 + 4 = 14 ... success
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 10:32 AM   #1424
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Wouldn't that be a failure by 7 once the retreat bonus is taken into account, and the skill being rolled against be 12 because there's a total position bonus of 4?
[1007] 22-05-30 18:31:46 CEST

Strategy roll

3d6
5 + 3 + 3 = 11

Depending on whether the target skill roll is 8 or 12, this will be failure by 3 or success by 1.
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 11:53 AM   #1425
Hide
 
Hide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Since itís been enough time for the people in the room to recover from the lack of oxygen, Pacifica asks her team to temporarily flush the oxygen away.

Everybody must be on the ready.

Then, sheíll call the allied command centers to relay the information.
__________________
- 画龍点睛。Hide。
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 11:38 AM   #1426
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Wouldn't that be a failure by 7 once the retreat bonus is taken into account, and the skill being rolled against be 12 because there's a total position bonus of 4?
Yes, you're right, I botched the math. Here is a second try:
13 (base skill) - 8 (causalities) - 2 (command chain damage) + 8 (retreat) = 11 ... failure by 7.

12 (base skill) - 4 (causalities) +4 (position bonus) = 12... success by 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
[1007] 22-05-30 18:31:46 CEST

Strategy roll

3d6
5 + 3 + 3 = 11
with a MoV of 8, 25% more causalities are inflicted (~13), and no more are taken.

The battle is over.

The enemy flees deeper into the ship, undoubtedly spreading word of the battle. They don't stay in one group, and are scattered. Less than a third of the enemy escapes, a little more than a dozen men*. Most of the enemy has not been killed outright, but is merely wounded or captured. **

*13, but you don't know that yet.

** once again, GM records: 1/4th dead or dying, 1/4 captured but unharmed, for ~ 9 of each. You have a feel for this but not exact numbers.

Quote:
Laser's flying everywhere, I briefly wonder if I could adapt my photorefraction into something that would deflect laser fire. Then I hear a gunshot somewhere and think better of it.

I'll try to slip into the mass trying to retreat into the officer's quarters.
Hua just slips in... only the confusion and hurry to get in lets her do so unnoticed, alongside three of the fleeing enemy. The officer gets two security in and locks the door. The two security post up on the door, aiming to shoot at anyone going through it. The officer heads towards the captain's quarters.



Daymar, just behind the front lines, receives a runner with a message from Pacifica: she has taken her command center and killed some of its crew, captured the others, and is keeping them subdued via flushing out the oxygen in control center periodically. She has also gotten a message from Vinobi.**


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Since it’s been enough time for the people in the room to recover from the lack of oxygen, Pacifica asks her team to temporarily flush the oxygen away.

Everybody must be on the ready.

Then, she’ll call the allied command centers to relay the information.
During the oxygen flush cycle, the battle is fought. Pacifica calls Sgt. Pookivo at the fore command center (deck 6). Pookivo says the other two dreadstormers are mopping up the remnants of an attack from the hyperdrive and officer's quarters.


He asks what message he should pass on to Daymar.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 05-31-2022 at 11:41 AM.
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 03:45 PM   #1427
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The officer heads towards the captain's quarters.
I'll try to catch up with the officer, and try to slip into the captain's quarters, or at least remain in earshot. I don't imagine the officer has anything new to say, but the captain could make a decision that needs to be dealt with. And if not, then I'd be placed to take the both of them out.

Quote:
[1009] 22-05-31 23:41:34 CEST
Stealth
3d6 <= 16
6 + 5 + 5 = 16 ... success
[1010] 22-05-31 23:41:48 CEST
Observation
3d6 <= 13
5 + 5 + 5 = 15 ... failure
Stealth by two, observation failed... Guess I don't hear anything?
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 02:37 PM   #1428
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Daymar, just behind the front lines, receives a runner with a message from Pacifica: she has taken her command center and killed some of its crew, captured the others, and is keeping them subdued via flushing out the oxygen in control center periodically. She has also gotten a message from Vinobi.**

During the oxygen flush cycle, the battle is fought. Pacifica calls Sgt. Pookivo at the fore command center (deck 6). Pookivo says the other two dreadstormers are mopping up the remnants of an attack from the hyperdrive and officer's quarters.

He asks what message he should pass on to Daymar.
Are we waiting on Pacifica to relay a message through Pookivo, or should I react to the message from the runner now?
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 10:51 AM   #1429
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I'll try to catch up with the officer, and try to slip into the captain's quarters, or at least remain in earshot. I don't imagine the officer has anything new to say, but the captain could make a decision that needs to be dealt with. And if not, then I'd be placed to take the both of them out.

Stealth by two, observation failed... Guess I don't hear anything?
Hua follows the officer up to the captain's office. observation is unneccessary. The captain's face is stone as he hears the report. Then he says: "Then we have lost. I will give the order to destroy the ship. We can at least take them with us and deny it to the enemy."


He reaches for the comm set behind his desk.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Are we waiting on Pacifica to relay a message through Pookivo, or should I react to the message from the runner now?
Go ahead and respond... Hide has been somewhat slow to respond in general. If pacifica sends a message, we can stitch those two parts together.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 12:00 PM   #1430
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
He reaches for the comm set behind his desk.
A comm set's a pretty rare thing, right? Assuming so, I'll fire away, hoping to reduce it a pile of junk. If not, then I guess I'll shoot the captain.

Quote:
[1011] 22-06-02 19:42:35 CEST
Beam Weapons +2 for 10 shots
-3d6 +17
- 4 - 4 - 5 + 17 = 4
Five hits depending how far the comm set is:
Quote:
[1012] 22-06-02 19:58:45 CEST
Damage rolls
3d6
1: 6 + 5 + 1 = 12
2: 3 + 5 + 5 = 13
3: 6 + 3 + 5 = 14
4: 6 + 4 + 4 = 14
5: 1 + 2 + 3 = 6
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.