Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
backstabby

Default How to make a character who can control fire and is immune to damage from it?

I'm trying to create a character who can control and shape fire, as well as be completely immune to it. Does anyone know how to price this? I was guessing 20 points for shaping and controlling fire (I have no idea how to price this) 60 points for the immunity to fire (Insubstantiality with -100% for no permeation (They cost the same, but not sure on this), -40% for fire/heat only (under limited defenses for DR), affects substantial +100% and always on +0% for always on (Although this is a -50% limitation under the advantage, since permeation to everything no longer applies, it would only matter if you WANTED to get burned, say, to prove you're not a freak or to get a branding to join a cult. Howerver, this is a rare enough circumstance that i decided that it was a -2% limitation at maximum, if that, so I just made it not affect the cost at all, like DR) NOTE: I increased some of the limitation values so that it wouldn't cost just as much a the full advantage) I'm sure this has been answered somewhere, I just can't find it.
backstabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: How to make a character who can control fire and is immune to damage from it?

The general rule is that immunity to broad damage types is not allowed.
You take enough limited DR to be immune to whatever is the greatest amount of said damaging type in the campaign world.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #3
JCurwen3

Default Re: How to make a character who can control fire and is immune to damage from it?

The Insubstantiality build for invulnerability is a controversial one, even with its inclusion in Powers; nonetheless, it is there, and I think it's a reasonable build. On the other hand, adding "Limited" (as in, to fire, and other limited media) might be controversial as well, but again, I think there's nothing fundamentally wrong with it even if it may not be RAW.

I think your real problems are:

(1) Having it be Insubstantial-based, fire will just pass through you. That might be fine for you, but it gives a very specific kind of fire invulnerability that doesn't always fit. If I heard someone or something was invulnerable to fire, I'd think to get behind them if there was a psycho with a flame thrower in play. Man would I be disappointed when I found out fire-dude couldn't provide cover for fire. This would be... counter-intuitive.

(2) You might be paying too much. How hot can any real, natural fire actually get? It might be that the DR estimates for Body of Fire are reasonable and would handle any "true" fire (as opposed to potentially hotter paranormal fire that arguably isn't really fire in the conventional sense). In any event, the ideal best (and cheapest!) way to do invulnerability to [blank] is to find out how much [blank] could ever do at maximum and then buy DR for that damage.

This might go against the common thought but I prefer Regeneration based builds for invulnerability. Start with the Extreme level, and then tack on enough levels of Reduced Time to get the Regeneration to heal 11xHP per second; add Limited, Fire to that. Then, to make sure super-hot fireballs don't kill you, add a Limited vs Fire form of Unkillable 2 as well, including the No Visible Damage perk. You won't look like you're ever damaged by fire. Sometimes, if the damage in a single turn is enough to reduce you to -10xHP, you'll just up and pass out, going into Unkillable 2 indestuctible form until your Regeneration takes you back to full HP the very next second and you're conscious again (you will be laid prone though in this one extreme case). This is very very close to perfect invulnerability. It's not RAW, but Kromm endorsed Reduced Time on Weakness, and since that's sort of like Regeneration in reverse, it seems reasonable to add it to Regen also to get higher regen rates than Extreme.

Generally a DR-based build would be best if, as with fire, you can pre-figure how much will always be enough though...
Old 08-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by backstabby View Post
I'm trying to create a character who can control and shape fire, as well as be completely immune to it.

Ugh. There is no such thing as complete immunity to any physical force. GURPS used to have invulnerabilities but the results were very bad in high point value campaigns. Just get enough DR (fire only) to deal with available burning attacks, bearing in mind that Control Fire is a truly excellent defense against fire.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
Flyndaran
Untagged

Don't forget temperature tolerance to live next to a blazing fire. DR doesn't protect against heat per se. Generally though, real humans can stand oven temperatures if the air is dry enough and given enough water.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Yeah, with the "immune to fire" issue, remember that things other than fire count as burning: lasers, the plasma of a star, and so forth. That can guide what advantage you want.
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:10 PM   #7
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Yeah, with the "immune to fire" issue, remember that things other than fire count as burning: lasers, the plasma of a star, and so forth. That can guide what advantage you want.
Most immune to fire types I imagine would exist in worlds without any other type of burning damage.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #8
malloyd

And as I always bring up in these discussions, you can be more or less immune to "fire" with around 100 to 150 DR vs fire, because for the usual energy to damage relationships in GURPS at around 20 or 25 dice per turn it can't physically be "fire" anymore. It's too hot for chemical reaction products to form.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:03 PM   #9
backstabby

So how would I price controlling and shaping fire?
backstabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:27 PM   #10
Earther

Quote:
Originally Posted by backstabby View Post
I'm trying to create a character who can control and shape fire, as well as be completely immune to it. Does anyone know how to price this?
Have you seen this http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...9&postcount=25

Having elemental might be a key.

Tags
controlling fire, fire, immunity, immunity to fire, spells to advantages