Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #11
whswhs

Default Re: 1930s (no longer Steam)-punk suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Of course, for some, "steampunk" is merely a visual estethic. The world impact of the technology doesn't matter to them at all.
Here in San Diego that has pretty much become dominant. I see "steampunk" exhibits at conventions of cool retrotech gadgets that were actually built in the 1910s or even the 1950s, using tech that the Age of Steam never thought of. Not to mention present-day computers with old-style typewriter keys, but no attempt to suggest the working of an analytical engine. It seems to be all a fashion statement. I find it completely alien.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:56 PM   #12
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Here in San Diego that has pretty much become dominant. I see "steampunk" exhibits at conventions of cool retrotech gadgets that were actually built in the 1910s or even the 1950s, using tech that the Age of Steam never thought of. Not to mention present-day computers with old-style typewriter keys, but no attempt to suggest the working of an analytical engine. It seems to be all a fashion statement. I find it completely alien.
I've long taken the hardline stance that unless there are steam-driven compuers, as in "The Difference Engine" or (I presume) Castle Falkenstein, then it's not steampunk. They're not optional.

There's also this amusing Youtube video.

More generally, I see it as a worldbuilding issue. Or rather as a lack of worldbuilding. If people don't do extrapolative worldbuilding, postulating advanced tech (of the TLX+1 or X+2 type, in GURPS' jargon) and at least trying to figure out how that impacts the world, then why would I be interested?
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #13
David Johnston2

Real life had steam-driven computers. They called them "looms".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacquard_loom
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:37 AM   #14
BrockNicholson

I would look to Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, Batman the Animated Series, and the old 1940s Superman cartoons for inspirations.

I love the whole retro-future sci-fi thing, but it also irritates me when everything gets called steampunk. Just because it is old but futurey does not make it steampunk.
BrockNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:47 PM   #15
patchwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post

Bill Stoddard
A popular bit making the rounds in our circle: "dear steampunks - as you are neither steam-related nor punkish in any way, you are hereby renamed 'sepiagoths'. Thank you."

To the OP, hey - how about movie cameras and the like? recording equipment that's small and easy to use would be deiselpunkish and potentially awesome. I also recall an analysis of Batman that pointed out that when first published, he was science fiction; most of the items on his utility belt were not technically possible in the 30s. Batman has become progressively more 'realistic' through the simple expedient of not changing his abilities much over the course of 75 years.
patchwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:49 PM   #16
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchwork View Post
A popular bit making the rounds in our circle: "dear steampunks - as you are neither steam-related nor punkish in any way, you are hereby renamed 'sepiagoths'. Thank you."
Which brings to mind a T-shirt that SJGames used to sell: "If you're a Goth, where were you when we sacked Rome?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchwork View Post
To the OP, hey - how about movie cameras and the like? recording equipment that's small and easy to use would be deiselpunkish and potentially awesome. I also recall an analysis of Batman that pointed out that when first published, he was science fiction; most of the items on his utility belt were not technically possible in the 30s. Batman has become progressively more 'realistic' through the simple expedient of not changing his abilities much over the course of 75 years.
Communications equipment that's small and easy to use would also be futuristic for this setting - Dick Tracy's wristwatch-size two-way radio comes to mind as an example here.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:56 PM   #17
aesir23

Personally, I'd keep the giant walkers--except now with internal combustion engines they have more power and a greater range.

And I'd combine them with HUGE aircraft--Bombers the size of Battleships, Zeplins the size of small cities, etc... Dieselpunk makes a better setting for air-pirates than steampunk does, IMHO.

On the smaller scale, nothing says alternative technology quite like ornithopters.

Alternatively, you may decide to go into Raygun Gothic territory and introduce rocket ships, jet-packs, and heat rays to the mix.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:09 PM   #18
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
Personally, I'd keep the giant walkers--except now with internal combustion engines they have more power and a greater range.

And I'd combine them with HUGE aircraft--Bombers the size of Battleships, Zeplins the size of small cities, etc... Dieselpunk makes a better setting for air-pirates than steampunk does, IMHO.

On the smaller scale, nothing says alternative technology quite like ornithopters.

Alternatively, you may decide to go into Raygun Gothic territory and introduce rocket ships, jet-packs, and heat rays to the mix.
Or all the above.
The ray guns and energy powered devices are powered by Unobtanium and a limited resource only held by a few.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:24 PM   #19
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Or all the above.
The ray guns and energy powered devices are powered by Unobtanium and a limited resource only held by a few.
ISTR reading about proposals for giant flying wings that never landed, and served as a tender/carrier for smaller aircraft. They were suposed to be nuclear powered, which is a bit late for deiselpunk, but you could totally replace that with beamed power a la Tesla (cinematic Tesla, anyway).
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:30 PM   #20
Tuk the Weekah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
There's also this amusing Youtube video.
Dude seriously you just made my week.
Tuk the Weekah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cliffhangers, dieselpunk, steampunk high tech