Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-30-2021, 11:28 AM   #21
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: What can I do now

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Most of those are core books that extend the mechanics in important ways; there is also Social Engineering, but that may not be relevant to your plans. The exception is High-Tech, which is a gear book; there are also Low-Tech and Ultra-Tech, depending on what era you want to play in, and perhaps Bio-Tech.

After mechanics books and gear books, there are genre books (Fantasy, Horror, Space, and so on) and setting books. And there are some adventure books for lines such as Dungeon Fantasy. But I would consider those to be lower priority in general.
While it's true that High Tech is a gear book, as a gear book it is chock full of mechanics relating to how that gear behaves! Unlike Powers, Thaumatology, and Magic most of those mechanics won't directly appear on a character sheet, but they're very much mechanics.

Low Tech is the same but probably even more so. Ultra Tech to an extent as well, though I would say less so.
Old 08-31-2021, 10:59 AM   #22
bocephus

Default Re: What can I do now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrafnagudh View Post
Ok guys, for wrapping this thread up,
I bought Atlantis, because even if third edition, I love Atlantis itself and I love the fact it has many different "explanations".

I made a wishlist, to slowly fulfill in time, of what I think may be the most "fundamental" generic supplements, in order of importance (to me):
Martial Arts
High Tech
Powers
Thaumatology
Magic

Does it make sense?

Thanks again for all the feedback, it was very appreciated, helpful and inspiring. I regret only to have found GURPS so lately :P
Only because you chose Magic and Atlantis, I would also suggest Low Tech. If you intend to do anything with a pre-renaissance flavor (swords, shields, armor, black powder, and working with different 'handwork' materials) it is probably the book I use most after the Basic books.

Make sure you consider the Genre and review the samples that are available for the PDFs for every one of the books listed. This should give you a general idea if the book has relevant things to your needs.

Keep in mind you don't "NEED" any of them per se. They are a great deal of help in many cases and will streamline your time a great deal by already having worked out the mechanics, costs, weights, materials, skills, etc... this is the real value for the GM.

And above all remember that all these books are like sliders on an equalizer. You take what you need/like/want, and leave the rest of it behind.
Examples:
  • I use some of the weaponry from Martial arts, but I don't use the combat additions (just cause, me)
    I use Thaumatolgy rarely (never honestly) in my games, but it gets used/referenced a LOT in a game I play in that someone else runs.
    I couldn't run most of *my* games without the whole Low Tech series, I have probably put more wear on my Lowtech book(s) than even my Basic books.
    I use several of the DF supplements constantly, and some of them not at all.
    I have referenced Powers for things that had nothing to do with a "Supers" campaign and never needed it during game play (but those things I needed saved me a lot of time figuring it out on my own)
    There are also a LOT of fan resources online that may have done some of the heavy lifting for you (thought I'm not well versed in GURPS settings more modern than 1800s).

PDFs are nice when your searching for stuff, I'm a books guy but I have many of the PDFs just for their portability and searchability.
bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, submarine