Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-01-2015, 06:59 PM   #51
Bruno

Default Re: [Low-Tech] [High-Tech] Portable cooling: higher-TL replacement of water jugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
... it reversed my slowly burgeoning heat tolerance. It made so much as going more than two feet away so much harder and stressful than it had been before.
Actual heat-stroke nukes your heat tolerance completely. It's a known lasting effect. IE, if you'd had head-stroke, you would have already lost that heat tolerance, and would have had been unable to build it up, unlike how you were able to without that damage.

There are many forms of injury where they may damage your strength but exercising brings your strength back, and part of healing involves exercise almost immediately after the acute injury phase is over.

But the initial obvious "injury" of heat stroke is half of the actual injury; once the medical crisis is over and the doctors have successfully not-dead-ed you, you're still injured and you still have to recover the acute damage to tolerance before you can do "heat physio". Otherwise, you can end up right back in hospital as a result of very mild thermal stresses.

Or to put it another way, she was still sick enough that doctors might have wanted to keep her in the hospital, but it was a 5-6 week recovery time that could just as easily be handled in the community with some relatively cheap equipment and basic support from friends and family. That, and most people go stir crazy in hospital which doesn't help recovery.

If there isn't GURPS rules for it already, I'd handle it as Temperature Intolerance as a "crippling injury" and note that good environmental conditions and decent hydration can totally substitute for physician care.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:32 AM   #52
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: [Low-Tech] [High-Tech] Portable cooling: higher-TL replacement of water jugs?

My mom's sure I suffered something bad as a toddler when visiting Oklahoma during a heat wave. And that may have been why I couldn't handle even warm temperatures for decades.

I have said that what I suffered as an adult was not on par with life threatening heat stroke, but still dangerous heat exhaustion.

Gurps healing is very superhuman most likely since the majority of gamers hate spending sessions with injured PCs or resting up away from the other still active characters.

I vaguely remember a thread wherein someone, maybe an author, statted up a Weakness to extreme temperatures that increases Fatigue damage. I can't seem to find it now.

Last edited by Flyndaran; 01-02-2015 at 02:47 AM.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:42 AM   #53
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Gurps healing is very superhuman
Pretty much all RPGs have almost all damage be either fatal or temporary; the fact that GURPS even has crippling injuries makes it less superhuman than many games.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:50 AM   #54
Flyndaran
Untagged

Bruno, the section you quoted was about how simple comforting respites from temperature extremes slow or reverse adaptation. It's why heat waves in winter don't have to be as high of temperatures to cause injury as they would in summer for those not hovering around AC.

I never meant to imply I bounced back from major health problems so flippantly.

Tags
cooling, desert, high-tech, jungle, low-tech, survival