Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 05-01-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
Pax

Default Whine At The GM on a Target

Are GUALs with special conditions written in the perspective of the person casting it or of the target of the effect?

Specifically 'Whine At The GM' (~'If you are not 1st nor tied for 1st GUAL').

If I am level 5 playing a two player game and I have the card, can I only play it on someone who is:

A) Level 4 or below (the 'you' is directed at the target)
B) Level 6 or above (the 'you' is directed at the caster)
C) You can't target special GUALs, or at least WatGM (Neither A nor B makes exact sense with the phrasing)

Last edited by Pax; 05-02-2012 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Typo
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
Bampop

Default Re: Whine At The GM on a Target

Well, you won't get a ruling on a two player game since the game is designed for 3-6, but in any case I'd say you can still play the card on a target as long as they fit the "not in first place" criteria.

The ability to play a GUAL on another player was not in the original rules, and was only added after the munckinliness of the idea impressed the powers that be.
MiB #3282, Palm Bay, FL
Munchkin, Zombie/Cthulhu Dice, Burn in Hell!, Revolution!, Castellan, Chez Geek, OGRE DE, Chupacabra, Nanuk
mib3282@gmail.com
Bampop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:05 AM   #3
MunchkinMan

I feel like we've discussed this. Regardless, I don't think it's fair to expect someone to pay the cost of a GUAL thrown on them if they, for some reason, don't want the Level. I think we came to the conclusion that it's the choice of the "victim," meaning that if the victim doesn't want the level, they don't have to pay the cost and don't get the Level. However, again, I need to do some research. Y'all are oing to have to wait 'til tonight for that. . .
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
Ash Plissken

Well, a GUAL requiring the person it is played on to passively meet a condition (like WatGM) is different in principle from a GUAL actually incurring a cost/compelling an action, right?

I just want to make sure that when you talk about "paying the cost" of a GUAL, you're referring to other special GUAL cards, and not saying that it applies to WatGM in particular. Because it seems like, in keeping with the spirit of the decision allowing GUALs to be played on other players in the first place, only GUALs that require the recipient to take an action should be able to be declined.

Or what the heck, I'd even be fine with a ruling that you can compel the recipient to pay the cost. (But then again, I'm one of those people who thinks that "unfair" tactics are perfectly within the spirit of the game.)
Ash Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
Clipper

While we wait for MunchkinMan's decision, I thought I'd list most of the Fantasy GUALs with extra text (I don't have Conan and Marked for Death... yet) with paraphrasing of their conditions, just to see which ones might cause issues.

Contemplate Your Navel - Discard your hand to go up another level
Feed GM's Dice Habit - Instead of the level, you can get a thingy (class, race, etc.) from the discards, not usable in combat
Get What You Deserve - Roll a Jolly Jumbo d6 and perhaps go down a level or up two levels instead of one.
Hurt GM's Brain - Instead of the level, you can get a thingy (class, race, etc.) from the discards, not usable in combat
Kill a Hireling - Choose a Hireling to kill
Kill a Steed - Choose a Steed to kill
Kill Some Nazis - Pure flavour text
Kill the Hireling - Choose a Hireling to kill
Make the GM Snort Soda Out His Nose - Can be played to reduce someone's level instead, even if they think they just won.
Mutilate the Bodies - Must be played after combat
Peek at the Scenario - Instead of the level, you can get a thingy (class, race, etc.) from the discards, not usable in combat
Reincarnate Without Dying First - Instead of the level, you can get a thingy (class, race, etc.) from the discards, not usable in combat
Senseless Act Of Kindness - Instead of the level, you choose a rival and he must give you their best item, and they get a level
Steal The Credit - Played when a rival gets a level, and you get one too.
Switch Character Sheets - Can't be used if you are highest level
Take the Good with the Bad - Played after loss of a Hireling or Steed
Whine at the GM - Can't be used if you are highest level

All of them seem pretty straight forward when applied to other players except for Whine at the GM and Switch Character Sheets for the reasons discussed in this thread. I'd be tempted to say that the you they refer to is the victim. Obviously, any choices should be up to the victim. Get What You Deserve is kind of nasty if you have a Reloaded Die on hand, but it seems fair to force them to roll as losing a level is not the primary purpose. However, this might change with MM's ruling on GUALs with costs.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
thedag

i'm interested in seeing the official reply when they have time to work it out. however in my opinion it means option A. The person the card is being played on must be at a lower level. Seem as there is no cost I personally don't see why it can't be played on them.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
Ash Plissken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
Contemplate Your Navel - Discard your hand to go up another level
Huh, I still have the old version of this, which requires you to discard your hand just to play it. To be honest, that was the only one with a straight-up cost that I could think of; most of the others give the recipient an option of some kind. This makes me wonder, are there any GUALs (other than Get What You Deserve, which I'm not familiar with) that actually force you to take an action you might not want to?
Old 05-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #8
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Plissken View Post
Huh, I still have the old version of this, which requires you to discard your hand just to play it. To be honest, that was the only one with a straight-up cost that I could think of; most of the others give the recipient an option of some kind. This makes me wonder, are there any GUALs (other than Get What You Deserve, which I'm not familiar with) that actually force you to take an action you might not want to?
I'm aware of Fugu in Munchkin Fu 2: Monky Business, which kills you if you roll a 1 on the die.

The list I gave is every GUAL in the stuff I own that has text on it. That covers pretty much all the fantasy-backed cards except those that come with the accessories (I have some but not all), Marked for Death (I just ordered it), and the Conan booster.

Last edited by Clipper; 05-02-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:47 AM   #9
Ash Plissken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
I'm aware of Fugu in Munchkin Fu 2: Monky Business, which kills you if you roll a 1 on the die.
Are we sure that one's eligible to be played on someone else as a GUAL, though? If memory serves, it's technically a "Go Up A Level Or Die" card, isn't it? ;)

(I'm only half-serious, but even I have to admit that playing Fugu on another player would go past "munchkinly" into "way OP" territory.)
Old 05-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #10
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Plissken View Post
Are we sure that one's eligible to be played on someone else as a GUAL, though? If memory serves, it's technically a "Go Up A Level Or Die" card, isn't it? ;)

(I'm only half-serious, but even I have to admit that playing Fugu on another player would go past "munchkinly" into "way OP" territory.)
This one would rely on Erik's research. If you use it on yourself, you are forced to roll the die and you die if you roll a 1. Playing it on another player would force them to roll the die (which is extremely nasty if anyone owns a Reloaded Die). This is a kind of price you would need to pay.

Tags
gual, whine at the gm