Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-15-2022, 04:53 PM   #31
RGTraynor

Default Re: What a Military Supply Depot Contains

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
The question did not specify the time period, did it?
"For one of my games the PCs have found a National Guard supply depot in the States."

It's pretty damn obvious (one would think, even to the general run of argumentative pedants) that the OP and the thrust of the discussion was modern-day and real world ... leaving aside that the term "National Guard" didn't come into its current use until the 1930s.

"Call me old-fashioned, but after you're dead, I don't think you should be entitled to a Dodge any more." - my wife

It's not that I don't understand what you're saying. It's that I disagree with what you're saying.
RGTraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 05:21 PM   #32
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTraynor View Post
"For one of my games the PCs have found a National Guard supply depot in the States."

It's pretty damn obvious (one would think, even to the general run of argumentative pedants) that the OP and the thrust of the discussion was modern-day and real world ... leaving aside that the term "National Guard" didn't come into its current use until the 1930s.
Yeah, its modern day (I think 2020 but forget the exact year) and the reason the place hasn't been already looted is it was just transported to another world.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 05:30 PM   #33
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Yeah, its modern day (I think 2020 but forget the exact year) and the reason the place hasn't been already looted is it was just transported to another world.
In that case, probably some very confused staff?
Old 01-15-2022, 07:54 PM   #34
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
What if alcohol is regular issue?
It will be carefully locked down with keys or security codes held only by authorized officers & senior NCOs. The same goes for official issue sedative or stimulant drugs or anything else of value.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 08:05 PM   #35
Pursuivant

What hasn't been mentioned so far is fuel. While light vehicles might get gassed up at the local gas station, diesel-powered vehicles and aircraft are more likely to be supplied from underground tanks located on the facility grounds.

Security for various goodies will range from pretty good for low-end stuff (steel fire doors with Good-Quality locks) to seriously impressive (vault doors with Fine-Quality coded keypads, which also require 2 physical keys each held by a senior NCO or officer).

Specific equipment depends on the nature of the Guard/Reserve unit and the facility itself. These units don't exist in isolation and are intended to be part of the entire U.S. Army when fully activated. A Civil Affairs unit is going to have very different equipment than an Aviation unit.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 08:22 PM   #36
thrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
What hasn't been mentioned so far is fuel. While light vehicles might get gassed up at the local gas station, diesel-powered vehicles and aircraft are more likely to be supplied from underground tanks located on the facility grounds.
You can't really "depot" fuel, because it goes bad so quickly (months, not years). There will be fuel tanks for local use, but POL (Petroleum, Oil, and Lubricants) always requires an active supply line.
thrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 08:27 PM   #37
Farmer

Petrol (gas) or diesel is usable.up to 12 months if stored properly. After that it definitely degrades to the point of causing issues if used on modern engines. It might be viable for other purposes or for emergency, short term use for a few more months.

I think a note was given that the depot might have been current, rather than abandoned, so fuel is a reasonable thing to find.
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 08:30 PM   #38
adm

Another thought, they may not have up to date equipment. Lots of stuff from the end of the Cold War, sure, depending on how "frugal" (cheap, "why buy more when we have these perfectly serviceable rifles. The Army can supply us with what they want us to have.", or hoard everything types.) the local officials are, maybe even stuff back to the Vietnam era, like M14s and scads of 7.62N. The newer stuff may have been pulled out for the War on Terror, Libya, and whatever the game worlds last crises was, etc.
Old 01-15-2022, 08:57 PM   #39
thrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
I think a note was given that the depot might have been current, rather than abandoned, so fuel is a reasonable thing to find.
Yes, but not in quantities beyond what the local garrison uses on a regular basis. There will not be huge tank farms full of fuel as war-stockage (as opposed to ammunition or food, say).
thrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 01:57 AM   #40
Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrash View Post
Yes, but not in quantities beyond what the local garrison uses on a regular basis. There will not be huge tank farms full of fuel as war-stockage (as opposed to ammunition or food, say).
Absolutely, agreed.
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high-tech, salvage