Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-21-2019, 12:55 PM   #1
Prince Charon

Default [Basic] Luck/Unluckiness limitation: Long-Term Relationships cost?

Sorry the title isn't better. It's pretty common in fiction for the hero to be very lucky, except in the one area of long-term relationships, where his (or sometimes her) luck is terrible. Doylistly, this is because the writers need him to be available for the next Girl of the Week (or whatever), but it's not unreasonable to want to simulate this on a character sheet.

The specific case of James T. Kirk comes readily to mind: he pretty clearly has either Ridiculous Luck or some form of Probability Alteration, if not both, except in the one case of keeping a girlfriend for more than an episode, at which he seems to be Cursed, or Jinxed (which doesn't exist in 4e) - far too often, the Girl of the Week dies during the episode, but even if she doesn't, the relationship ends before the next time the Girl of the Week goes for the Captain. Eventually, even the Enterprise, the one lady he'd been able to mostly keep, died.

It really seems to me that Kirk has Ridiculous Luck (Not for Long-Term Relationships, -??%) and Cursed (Only for Long-Term Relationships, -??%). But how much is that '??%' worth? I think that it would be a different number for each, as it only limits luck in a small way, but limits Unluckiness & Cursed in a very large way. I'm wondering if anyone has a clear idea of how much.

Thoughts?

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:11 PM   #2
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Default Re: [Basic] Luck/Unluckiness limitation: Long-Term Relationships cost?

I think you're misinterpreting "unlucky in love" for Kirk. He's really got "Lecherous + Xenophilia." And, unless Robot Chicken is correct Resistant: Disease (Immunity). Maybe with a little cosmic thrown in.

Lecherousness will have the desired effect on long-term relationships.

The only other thing it could be is that Kirk has a sex-related affliction that afflicts Cursed (Doomed to die really, really soon) on his partners. Again, doesn't have anything to do with Luck.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:22 PM   #3
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Thoughts?
Kirk has the Quirk: Can't Keep A Stable Relationship [-1].

Nothing more, nothing less as it has almost zero impact on the game/story (or rather it fits into the genre of the game/story and leaves him open for romance whenever a romance plot is offered up).
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:52 AM   #4
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Kirk has the Quirk: Can't Keep A Stable Relationship [-1].

Nothing more, nothing less as it has almost zero impact on the game/story (or rather it fits into the genre of the game/story and leaves him open for romance whenever a romance plot is offered up).
I really think the number of them that die, sometimes within days of meeting him, suggests more than a quirk.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:28 PM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
I really think the number of them that die, sometimes within days of meeting him, suggests more than a quirk.
But is it significantly greater than the chance of dying gained simply by being played by a guest actress in star trek? I'm not sure I could say either way, but its a possibility worth looking at.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:31 PM   #6
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
But is it significantly greater than the chance of dying gained simply by being played by a guest actress in star trek? I'm not sure I could say either way, but its a possibility worth looking at.
To be fair, if you were a guest actress in TOS, you were probably a love-interest for Kirk.

But really, this isn't something that should be modeled on Kirk, I'd say it's more a combination of his Lecherousness and a setting switch.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:02 PM   #7
martinl

Yes, this is a setting switch - "Reset Button."
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:08 PM   #8
Black Leviathan

I think the Unlucky at Love trope is already represented in the Luck Advantage. The things that make a relationship work aren't dependent on statistical chances so much as hard work. And there aren't many skill rolls in maintaining a relationship that can be effected by the Advantage.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:59 PM   #9
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
No worse than being a Redshirt, and being an NPC means the GM never has to say sorry.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 02:26 PM   #10
capnq

Quote:
Maybe Destiny (long-term relationships are Doomed) [-5]?

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. -- Mark Twain
capnq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
limitations, luck