Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 05-16-2022, 12:15 PM   #1
phayman53

Default Animal Template not giving stats

I loaded one of the DF Allies animal templates, the Great Eagle, and it is not properly incorporating the flying speed into its move statistics. Just to check, I loaded a racial template that also has flying and it worked properly, same as if I were to add the flying advantage manually. But for some reason when it is in the template, it is not working. Is there a setting I don't know about that is preventing attributes that are clearly in the template from working their way through to derived statistics like move (air)?

Thanks!
phayman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 03:21 PM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: Animal Template not giving stats

I wasn't sure what might be happening, so I looked into it. It appears that the authors of the files decided to use Animal versions of Flight and Enhanced moves and such. I don't know what was involved in writing the file, so I'm not sure why that decision was made, but I'm sure there was a reason.

However, it appears that Basic Air Move (and possibly the other movement types for which Animal versions were created) was not updated to account for the Animal variant of movement, so it was not calculating any basic move for that type of movement.

I will look into updating the files to fix that.

However, you can account for that right now with your Eagle by editing Basic Air Move yourself.

Make sure the Hidden button on the toolbar has the checkmark. Go to Classic View and view the Attributes tab, or open the Attributes trait dialog from your other view. Find Basic Air Move in the All Attributes list (it's normally hidden) and click on it. Click on Edit, then on Advanced.... In the Advanced Edit Traits, double click on the data (its a long formula) shown for basevalue.

Copy and paste into that field this text:

Code:
@if(AD:Brachiator THEN ST:Basic Move / 2 ELSE @if(AD:Walk on Air THEN ST:Ground Move ELSE @if(AD:Infernal Flight THEN 2 * ST:Basic Speed ELSE @if(AD:Celestial Flight THEN 2 * ST:Basic Speed ELSE @if(AD:Gargoyle Flight THEN 2 * ST:Basic Speed ELSE @if(AD:Pixie Flight THEN 2 * ST:Basic Speed ELSE @if(AD:Elven Flight THEN 2 * ST:Basic Speed ELSE @if(AD:Flight | AD:Animal Flight THEN @if(@itemhasmod(AD:Flight, Space Flight Only) THEN 0 ELSE 2 * ST:Basic Speed) ELSE 0) ) ) ) ) ) ) )
OK back out, and you should see that Air Move now has a calculated score.

If you want to know what I changed for future reference and modifying it yourself, I just added the bit marked in red here:

@if(AD:Brachiator THEN ST:Basic Move / 2 ELSE @if(AD:Walk on Air THEN ST:Ground Move ELSE @if(AD:Infernal Flight THEN 2 * ST:Basic Speed ELSE @if(AD:Celestial Flight THEN 2 * ST:Basic Speed ELSE @if(AD:Gargoyle Flight THEN 2 * ST:Basic Speed ELSE @if(AD:Pixie Flight THEN 2 * ST:Basic Speed ELSE @if(AD:Elven Flight THEN 2 * ST:Basic Speed ELSE @if(AD:Flight | AD:Animal Flight THEN @if(@itemhasmod(AD:Flight, Space Flight Only) THEN 0 ELSE 2 * ST:Basic Speed) ELSE 0) ) ) ) ) ) ) )

That just says if all other things don't apply, then if either AD:Flight or AD:Animal Flight exist they get the same base movement calculation (of double Basic Speed).

(Looking at it now, that's kind of a rough formula. I don't know if @if can evaluate a bunch of OR statements at once, but if so, that would really simplify that. And I put my fix for Animal Flight in at Flight even though the mods check for Space Flight is just for Flight, so that could be better placed. But it should work for now.)

Last edited by Armin; 05-16-2022 at 03:29 PM.
Armin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 04:24 PM   #3
phayman53

Thank you! That fixed it. Unfortunately, now I have discovered there are a bunch of errors in the template. It is only Animal Enhanced Move (Air) 1/2 instead of 1, doesn't have the Air Move +1, and there is something else off that I can't quite track down.

I guess when you are making a huge number of templates, it's easy to make some mistakes.
phayman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 04:27 PM   #4
Armin
GCA Prime

Okay! I have uploaded updated versions of DF 3 and DF 5 to address this. (Use Check For Updates to run the package manager and get the updates.)

DF 3 includes the fixed Basic Air Move attribute that accounts for Animal Flight. That should fix the issue you encountered.

DF 5 just adjusts the needs() for the Giant Eagle's skill Flight to require Animal Flight instead of Eagle Flight.

Last edited by Armin; 05-16-2022 at 04:31 PM.
Armin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 04:29 PM   #5
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by phayman53 View Post
Thank you! That fixed it. Unfortunately, now I have discovered there are a bunch of errors in the template. It is only Animal Enhanced Move (Air) 1/2 instead of 1, doesn't have the Air Move +1, and there is something else off that I can't quite track down.

I guess when you are making a huge number of templates, it's easy to make some mistakes.
Okay, I guess I should have waited to push the updated files. If you make note of the needed fixes, I should be able to update the files to include them, but I don't have the books (or the time, really) to go through and find/fix them myself without someone telling me what needs fixing.