Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 03-14-2022, 02:10 PM   #1
Garethp

Default [GROUPS] in my custom data file doesn't seem to be working

I've started a couple of games for books that the GCA doesn't have data files for, so I decided to try writing some data files for them. I've run into a small issue where I'm trying to add the Talents from Steampunk 3: Soldiers and Scientists. I've got my talent Aesthete:

Code:
Aesthete, 5/10, gives(+1 To GR:Aesthete), page(9), upto(4), cat(Mundane, Mental, Talents), mods(_Talents),_
	conditional(+1 to ST:Reaction), description(Connoisseur, Current Affairs (High Culture and Popular Culture), Public Speaking, Savoir-Faire (High Society), and Writing.)
And I've added that group to the bottom of the data file

Code:
[GROUPS]
<Aesthete>
SK:Connoisseur
SK:Connoisseur (Dance)
SK:Connoisseur (Literature)
SK:Connoisseur (Music)
SK:Connoisseur (Visual Arts)
SK:Connoisseur (Wine)
SK:Current Affairs (High Culture)
SK:Current Affairs (Popular Culture)
SK:Public Speaking
SK:Public Speaking (Debate)
SK:Public Speaking (Oratory)
SK:Public Speaking (Punning)
SK:Public Speaking (Rhetoric)
SK:Public Speaking (Storytelling)
SK:Savoir-Faire (High Society)
SK:Writing
But adding it as an advantage doesn't actually grant any points to those skills. I'm pretty sure that it's a problem with the groups not being loaded in because if I change "+1 To GR:Aesthete" to "+1 To GR:Artificer" then it does correctly add the points to Artificer skills. Can anyone point me to why this might be happening?

The file as a whole is Here

As an additional question, is there any way to insert a line break or new line into the description of skills?
Garethp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 02:43 PM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: [GROUPS] in my custom data file doesn't seem to be working

You can see if the character has the Group and if that Group has the expected skills using the Groups option on the Character menu; then just look for the group in the tree and see.

If you're not seeing it on existing characters, remember that you have to Resynchronize the Groups to get them onto previous created characters.

ETA: Also, the descriptions are shown in the Info pane as RTF text, so you can use "\par " as a paragraph break or "\line " as a newline (functionally the same here). The space after the RTF code is important!

Last edited by Armin; 03-14-2022 at 02:53 PM.
Armin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 02:56 PM   #3
Armin
GCA Prime

I just pasted your code into a new file, loaded it in a library with Basic Set, created a new character with it, added Aesthete, and then a bunch of the skills it should apply to, and all seemed to be working as intended.
Old 03-14-2022, 02:56 PM   #4
Garethp

Thanks, that works perfectly. Once I'm done with the files I write, can I request they get added to the base program, as well as links to their PDFs?
Old 03-14-2022, 03:02 PM   #5
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethp View Post
Thanks, that works perfectly. Once I'm done with the files I write, can I request they get added to the base program, as well as links to their PDFs?
Absolutely! We'd love to have them.

We don't seem to have a book code for Steampunk yet, so we'll have to create one of those, too....
Old 03-14-2022, 03:13 PM   #6
Garethp

I'm also in the process of writing up a file for Girl Genius and I'm planning on getting Steampunk Conveyances and maybe Classic Steam Tech done (Depending on how long it might take me to get Classic Steam Tech). I don't believe any of them have codes yet
Old 03-19-2022, 11:49 AM   #7
Phil Masters

Quote:
I'm also in the process of writing up a file for Girl Genius and I'm planning on getting Steampunk Conveyances and maybe Classic Steam Tech done (Depending on how long it might take me to get Classic Steam Tech). I don't believe any of them have codes yet
Note that Steam-Tech is a 3rd edition book, and much of the equipment in there was updated to 4th in Steampunk 2.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 11:15 PM   #8
velvetsanity

Quote:
How goes progress on Girl Genius?
velvetsanity is offline   Reply With Quote