Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-10-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
ULFGARD

Default Magical Styles

I'm wondering how many are using magical styles in their games. I'm doing a bit of retooling of an existing game world, and this seems like a good method for making magic seem less "vanilla." It also makes sense insofar as I was accomplishing something similar by having existing guilds, circles, etc., of wizards. Using the magical schools gives benefits rather than acting simply as social restrictions. In other words, this gives me a carrot to go with my stick (and makes the guilds look less like stumbling blocks than organizations they'd like to join, even if there ARE dues).

What is your experience with this in games? Especially grafting them on to existing games (though I won't be doing that, it'd be nice to know).
Old 08-10-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
Pagan

Default Re: Magical Styles

I retooled my magic schools when Magical Styles came out. I was using affinities before to make separate styles but these are much better and way cooler. Out of my 6 pcs only 2 are spellcasters and use magical styles. One uses power investiture and specializes in magic that increases his ability to hunt and the other uses an illusion based style.

I also add advantages to the style and learning each separate style requires you to learn the magery for that style. IMC magery is a learnable trait if he have "mage blood" or the potential to use magic.

It has worked out exceptionally well.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #3
Phoenix_Dragon

I started using the magical styles in the very next campaign I ran that used the regular magic system, and after that, I intend to use it for every further campaign that does, as well. In the current campaign it's given great variety to the different magical orders and has done quite a bit to make the use of magic both more varied and more interesting.
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
ULFGARD

Thanks -- this is what I had expected to hear. I'm surprised more aren't using it, though perhaps the majority are on DF or MH kicks currently.

I'm glad to have positive feedback to go with my reading of it. In retooling my fantasy campaign a bit, this and some racial tweaks are the only major items, all of which I think are coming together to make the world far more interesting.

I'm using other types of magic as well, giving runic magic to the dwarves, for instance...
Old 08-12-2011, 08:49 AM   #5
Greg 1

Magical Styles is a great book. It adds loads of flavour to the standard magic system.

Don't forget to post any fan styles you invent here for other geeks to enjoy:

http://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/GURPS_...es_Fan_Netbook
Greg 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:14 AM   #6
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Had I not written Magical Styles in the dusk of my last fantasy campaign (which ended a month after the PDF was released), I'd have used it in said campaign in a flash. That campaign was the genesis of the idea. I did not allow free-and-easy spell selection, or have general-purpose wizards who attended generic magic academies. There were 39 magical "paths" and 13 major priesthoods in the PCs' homeland, and many others from away, as well as a couple of sorts of shamanism, a form of druidism, and something I called "witchcraft." Oh, and alchemy, and probably other stuff that I've forgotten. It was a messy jumble of special cases and fiat that only worked for that campaign because it evolved alongside the PCs, world, and storyline over a run of seven years. However, the magic was so much more colorful than that in any campaign in which I used GURPS Magic as written that I vowed to organize my thoughts in a book.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:22 AM   #7
Blind Mapmaker

Any chance on seeing some of those styles in a separate book? While I love styles they are seriously time-consuming to create. I would gladly pay 20$ for a write-up of a dozen styles in the same treatment the Onyx Path got.
Blind Mapmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:32 AM   #8
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

My stuff was all freeform and mostly unrecorded beyond napkin notes, sadly. I would have to spend many hours reviewing campaign logs and figuring out where I jotted things down before I could really write the stuff up properly. I still hold out hope that a trusted writer will one day take up the challenge, though.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #9
shawnhcorey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I still hold out hope that a trusted writer will one day take up the challenge, though.
Put the logs online and dedicated fans will do the rest. :)
Old 08-12-2011, 10:11 AM   #10
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhcorey View Post

Put the logs online and dedicated fans will do the rest. :)
All the recaps I wrote for that campaign are online on my LJ. Unfortunately, they only cover the tail end of a campaign that ran 2002-2009. The rest of my notes are a massive binder full of handwritten chicken scratch that would defy the best scanners, and I certainly lack the time and inclination to type them out. I was more hoping that a writer would accept the challenge of writing a book of styles – any styles, not the specific examples from my campaign. :)