Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-29-2021, 01:36 PM   #1
bmattos

Default selectivity on affliction advantage modifier

Hi, i have a question, if i have an Affliction with the advantage modifier. I can put Selectivity on the advantage that becomes the modifier?

Exemple:

Affliction(permeation)

the permeation have the tunnel advantage.

and a want to affect multiple persons at same time, so i add area effect on affliction right?

in this case, if i want to switch between tunnels on/off, i put selectivity on the Permiation modifier? And switch the area effect, put selectivity on affliction?
bmattos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 04:38 PM   #2
Plane

Default Re: selectivity on affliction advantage modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattos View Post
if i have an Affliction with the advantage modifier.
I can put Selectivity on the advantage that becomes the modifier?
Selectivity (B108) is a +10% enhancement for advantages whose sole use AFAIK is turning off other enhancements the advantage is assigned.

So if for example you put it on Affliction w/ Advantage, you could turn off Advantage and let it function like "inflict a stun" instead, as it does in it's raw form.

When pricing the "Advantage" enhancement for Affliction, I believe you do that based on the final price if the advantage is modified.

So if the advantage you are afflicting is enhanced w/ selectivity, that would affect the price of the "Advantage" enhancement.

Quote:
Exemple:
Affliction(permeation)
the permeation have the tunnel advantage.
"Tunnel" is a +75% enhancement on Permeation. So if for example you had a "Very Common" type with base 40 points, it would increase the modified price to 70 points, meaning it would be a +700% enhancement to have an Affliction impart it, or 8x the base cost (80 points)

Quote:
and a want to affect multiple persons at same time, so i add area effect on affliction right?
Area Effect +50% could be added to Affliction too, which would be a total of +750% (85 points)

Quote:
in this case, if i want to switch between tunnels on/off, i put selectivity on the Permiation modifier?
The root advantage would be something like this:

Permeation Earth (Tunnel +75% Selectivity +10%) [84]

then to give it to others

Affliction (Advantage: Enhanced Permeation +840% Area Effect +50%) [99]

This would allow you (as the user of Affliction) to control the advantage you give others, so I believe that yes you would be able to choose whether or not the "Tunnel" enhancement is active.

If using the alternate option "Beneficial Afflictions" OTOH, your target would get to control selectivity (turning enhancements on and off is their choice)

Quote:
And switch the area effect, put selectivity on affliction?
If you want to swap it between being single-target and multi-hex AE then yes, that's be another +10% on the base [10] which brings [99] up to [100].

B108's "Selective Area" at +20% can also accomplish this (final cost [101]) and gives you a wider variety of options, like instead of "everyone in the AE" or "one target" you also could just specify multiple targets in an AE while excluding others.

It also makes it easier to target a single foe, since you can target a hex at +4 to hit and ignore stuff like the Size Modifier of hard-to-hit targets.

Though I imagine there's still some kind of perception roll to actually discern which targets in your AE you're tailoring Selective Area to.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:51 PM   #3
bmattos

Default Re: selectivity on affliction advantage modifier

Soo i can have selectivity on both, the affliction and the "advantage modifier" thanks man.
bmattos is offline   Reply With Quote