Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-20-2021, 04:27 AM   #11
Phantasm

Default Re: An American Pantheon of Gods

Hiawatha - an unofficial import from the Iroquois pantheon, he's a peacemaking spirit of unity who has been hanging around the others.

Billy the Kid - the outlaw with an overdeveloped sense of justice who doesn't care about "legal", but will stand by his friends to the bitter end.

Custer - Champion of lost causes.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 04:52 AM   #12
Icelander

How has no one mentioned Libertas / Lady Liberty?
Old 05-20-2021, 04:56 AM   #13
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
The GOP and the Democratic Party should probably have their own animating spirits as well.
<Moderator>
A reminder that politics are NOT allowed on these boards.
Thank you.
</Moderator>
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 06:04 AM   #14
The Colonel

The Minute Man would seem to be an iconic figure - perhaps the tutelary deity of vigilance and self defence. Could be an ascended form of Paul Revere - or at least identified with him like the Roman Romulus/Qurinius thing.

Speaking of apotheosis you would probably also want ascended forms of Washington, Jefferson, Franklin, Lee, Jackson and Luther-King. Some of them likely as aspects of other powers - for example Daddy Greenbucks and Franklin could be the same deity, with his portfolio covering all those seeking to make money and spend it on good living ... and, given his historical reputation, alchemists and those involved in "get rich quick" schemes. You might even have a counter-cult, with more Adam Smith like overtones (or a rival deity) that is about work as a virtue in its own right (the protestant work ethic) and bettering oneself through hard work.

As previously mentioned, Lady Liberty should be a major power, possibly the matriarch of the pantheon and maybe the daughter of the minute man, married to some Washington derived patriarch? That would certainly seem thematic..
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 06:12 AM   #15
whswhs

Two thoughts:

There ought to be a place for the legendary heroes Paul Bunyan, Pecos Bill, John Henry the Steel-Drivin' Man, and their ilk.

Poul Anderson wrote an essay many years ago (I think it's in his paperback collection Fantasy) about the American pantheon. He came up with nine gods and the antigod Bomb. I particularly remember Atomika, the goddess of science, and Toolsmith, the god of engineering (among other things, he invented calculus, and it took centuries for Atomika to figure out why it worked!).

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 06:13 AM   #16
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
As previously mentioned, Lady Liberty should be a major power, possibly the matriarch of the pantheon and maybe the daughter of the minute man, married to some Washington derived patriarch? That would certainly seem thematic..
I think Lady Liberty is the mother of the Minute Man and similar figures. Perhaps she is married to the Founding Fathers collectively.

Old 05-20-2021, 06:18 AM   #17
Shostak

Paul Bunyan, of course.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 06:44 AM   #18
whswhs

Digging out my copy of Fantasy, I see that the essay is "Bullwinch's Mythology," and the gods are Buro, the god of govenment; Atomika; Toolsmith; Keen, the god of success; Bunni, the goddess of sex; Jesus, the god of love; Brothergood, the god of solidarity (and his female analog Sisterhood); Popop, the god of the arts; Farway, the god of exploration; Kak, the god of ideologies, a Loki analog; Liberty, the increasingly forgotten goddess of freedom (damaged by her relationship with Kak); and Bom. Some inspiration might be found there.

Old 05-20-2021, 07:16 AM   #19
Donny Brook

Eric Neon - spider-like god of the internet

Nawakosis - one of many names of the Tobacco deity. Formerly a goddess of peace and serenity, now spreads vengeance in the form of smoking-related morbidity.

Doctor Albrecht Leviat (call me 'Al') - god of the medical industrial complex. Allies of convenience with Nawakosis.

Theon Ray, the Dynamite General - god of the military industrial complex. Goes incognito as 'Martin Lockheed'

Fallon One, the Poxy Doxy - formerly Lady Liberty, now goddess of STDs and all forms of prostitution

Megaphor - blowhard god of Big Media. Tours with a musical group as a side-hussle: "S. Lander & the Dacity Men"

Jane US - goddess of cognitive dissonance

il Lictorate - deity of incarceration

Pa Rolie - patron and intercessor of those fleeing il Lictorate

Last edited by Donny Brook; 05-20-2021 at 07:20 AM.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 07:28 AM   #20
JulianLW

Jack and Grandfather, Appalachian tricksters, giant killers.
JulianLW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pantheon engineering