Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-04-2021, 08:53 AM   #1
Coinage

Default Powers that Erase Physical Evidence?

Hi, I'm just asking questions. What are the various Superpowers and/or Magic Abilities that can erase physical evidence (B144).

The idea si that each character has an Advantage / Trait that erases all physical evidence from Muggles, those with the Mundane background. It would be an on-going event. Of course, the PC's and other characters In-The-Know, i.e. with the Illuminated trait (B60).

My initial ideas are:

Zeroed (B100). I know that there are versions of this that can effectively make the character completely invisible to all historical records. I was wondering if Zeroed would erase any physical evidence, like any evidence in a crime scene, or alter a body so as to erase evidence of physical trauma.

Reality Quake (IW75). This of course is the big one. However, I doubt there is a Trait or Advantage that can cause this. I understand that Reality Quakes are supposed to be Big, Singular events, not an on-going, low-level effect. Perhaps someone has written up a version of this.

The Façade (Pyramid 3-97): I know the Façade prevents Mundanes from sensing anything magical or extraordinary. THis effectively works as an Illusion. Perhaps I could house-rule it so that it also erases physical evidence as well.

Alternatively, I could just make it a rule of the setting. As in "About 5 minutes after all the characters have left an area, Reality is rewritten so that any physical evidence to the characters involvement is removed. Any subsequent investigation must be carried out via magical or supernatural means."

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks =).

Last edited by Coinage; 05-04-2021 at 08:58 AM.
Coinage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:43 AM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: Powers that Erase Physical Evidence?

Yes, one of the flavours of Zeroed is Ninja Zeroed, which keeps you from leaving fingerprints, blood, dropped weapons. You would however have to get Zeroed again to erase documentation of your existence in general.

But if it's baked into the setting that evidence of things that aren't mundane just disappear after the event, that isn't going to be power, just a switch.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:54 AM   #3
Coinage

Ninja Zeroed? That sounds great. Do you know the book and the page number?

Never mind, I found it. Thx.

Last edited by Coinage; 05-04-2021 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-04-2021, 10:26 AM   #4
awesomenessofme1

You might be able to stretch Obscure into something usable here.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:45 AM   #5
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinage View Post
Hi, I'm just asking questions. What are the various Superpowers and/or Magic Abilities that can erase physical evidence (B144).

The idea si that each character has an Advantage / Trait that erases all physical evidence from Muggles, those with the Mundane background. It would be an on-going event. Of course, the PC's and other characters In-The-Know, i.e. with the Illuminated trait (B60).

My initial ideas are:

Zeroed (B100). I know that there are versions of this that can effectively make the character completely invisible to all historical records. I was wondering if Zeroed would erase any physical evidence, like any evidence in a crime scene, or alter a body so as to erase evidence of physical trauma.
The Façade (Pyramid 3-97): I know the Façade prevents Mundanes from sensing anything magical or extraordinary. THis effectively works as an Illusion. Perhaps I could house-rule it so that it also erases physical evidence as well.
If you have that issue of Pyramid, then check the enhanced version of Zeroed, Alias, that Chris Rice included. It sounds quite close to what you want. Although Zeroed (Ninja) might be closer if you don't need the mundane Zeroed benefits.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:50 AM   #6
Coinage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
If you have that issue of Pyramid, then check the enhanced version of Zeroed, Alias, that Chris Rice included. It sounds quite close to what you want. Although Zeroed (Ninja) might be closer if you don't need the mundane Zeroed benefits.
Alias from Pyramid 3-97, thanks.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:11 AM   #7
Kallatari

I don't have my notes with me, but I think it was GURPS Sorcery that used TK with a reduced time and a "one skill" limitation to create the instant haircut for the Haircut Spell. You can use that as a model for a TK with reduced time and "one skill" to do an instant Housekeeping, which is the traditional skill in GURPS to remove physical evidence from a scene.
Kallatari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 11:38 AM   #8
pgb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallatari View Post
I don't have my notes with me, but I think it was GURPS Sorcery that used TK with a reduced time and a "one skill" limitation to create the instant haircut for the Haircut Spell. You can use that as a model for a TK with reduced time and "one skill" to do an instant Housekeeping, which is the traditional skill in GURPS to remove physical evidence from a scene.
Yes, GURPS Thaumatology: Sorcery, p14. The limitation is used to build the Haircut power, and there's also a box about other possible uses of the limitation.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:39 AM   #9
pgb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinage View Post
Ninja Zeroed? That sounds great. Do you know the book and the page number?

Never mind, I found it. Thx.
Could you share the reference? Thanks.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:55 AM   #10
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgb View Post
Could you share the reference? Thanks.
GURPS Action 3: Furious Fists, pp14-15.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote