Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-25-2017, 07:25 PM   #21
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: What does Unfit apply to?

I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Poor aerobic fitness does not automatically mean poor ability to maintain internal body temperature for all earth animals.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:19 PM   #22
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Poor aerobic fitness does not automatically mean poor ability to maintain internal body temperature for all earth animals.
yes it does, just relative to their species baseline. but the Base line is set with things like Temperature Tolerance.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:27 PM   #23
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
yes it does, just relative to their species baseline. but the Base line is set with things like Temperature Tolerance.
Animals that don't sweat don't dehydrate via perspiration, regardless of their comfort zone.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:02 PM   #24
Edges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
I did some searching before responding earlier - there aren't any official rulings on this as far as I can tell. You can always PM somebody if you're really hoping for one, of course.
Thanks for doing a search. I did one as well but it wasn't exhaustive. I'm always reluctant to bother the professionals while they're working. But I may. It seems like the sort of question that could come up again if not addressed.

One thing that gives me pause is the prospect of applying Unfit to the FP lost at the end of combat. You could lose quite a bit that way. It would almost become the pass-out-after-every-fight disadvantage.
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:54 PM   #25
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges View Post
One thing that gives me pause is the prospect of applying Unfit to the FP lost at the end of combat.
IMO, that's the one place it is pretty unambiguous.

From this thread, I gather that there's nothing that it applies to. :)
Quote:
You could lose quite a bit that way. It would almost become the pass-out-after-every-fight disadvantage.
It's a non-combatant disadvantage, so that isn't really that surprising. Most templates for dedicated professional combatants seem to include Fit or Very Fit, for a reason. That said it isn't nearly as bad as Post-Combat Shakes.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:54 PM   #26
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges View Post
Thanks for doing a search. I did one as well but it wasn't exhaustive.
I wouldn't call mine "exhaustive" either, mind - I just used Google to search for a couple of likely strings like "unfit extra effort Kromm", limited to the forums, and checked the first page or so of results. A more in-depth search could certainly be arranged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges
One thing that gives me pause is the prospect of applying Unfit to the FP lost at the end of combat. You could lose quite a bit that way. It would almost become the pass-out-after-every-fight disadvantage.
Well, look at the numbers. Assuming an average person with 10 FP, Unfit only puts them into "passing out" territory (0 FP or fewer) if they are either at extra-heavy encumbrance, or at heavy encumbrance on a hot day, or at medium encumbrance on a hot day wearing plate. All of those are pretty extreme circumstances, when you think about it. Extra-heavy encumbrance, for an average ST 10 person, means they're hauling around 200 lbs. or more. That's like hauling a big man over your shoulder while fighting! Also bear in mind that FP costs for fights only kick in if the fight lasts 10 seconds or longer. The idea of a couch-potato type carrying around that sort of weight, fighting desperately for 10 seconds or more, then passing out at the end of it... I think it checks out. I'm pretty sure I qualify for Unfit (if not Very Unfit), and I don't think I'd be in very good shape at all in those sorts of circumstances.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:05 PM   #27
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Animals that don't sweat don't dehydrate via perspiration, regardless of their comfort zone.
yes but unless they're exothermic there method of heat dumping is still hinder by being unfit because the still impaired in it's working.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:31 PM   #28
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
yes but unless they're exothermic there method of heat dumping is still hinder by being unfit because the still impaired in it's working.
That's not the same as dehydration.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:08 AM   #29
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
That's not the same as dehydration.
Never said it was, I said Heat Exhaustion. it's not the same thing as dehydration
Old 02-26-2017, 02:05 AM   #30
Anders

Quote:
I don't see a lot of PCs with Unfit in games where Extra Effort gets used a lot.

I don't see how it makes sense to apply it to running but not weight lifting, for example, and that extends to any costs for exertion. If it ends up only applying to dehydration (for humans only) and nothing else it isn't worth -5...
It already includes Easy to Kill/Subdue, Susceptible to poison/diseases etc.