Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2016, 03:02 AM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper
 
vicky_molokh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kyv, Ukraine
Default Poison resistance as dosage modification or sliding immunity, not roll bonus?

Greetings, all!

Since creatures that are adapted to more-toxic environments and diets are relevant to my campaigns, I keep thinking about Resistant to Metabolic Hazards (especially Poisons). And here's where it's been going all this time:

Could there perhaps be a way to make a Resistant variant that mostly doesn't provide a roll bonus, but rather makes an individual more resistant to bad stuff in a smoother, less random way. Perhaps there's a way to calculate a fair value by which effective doses could be reduced for the purpose of calculating harmful effects? E.g. a human after one dose of Strychnine suffers a cyclic affliction with HT rolls; but say a mutant would require 16 doses (4 doublings of dosage, which is enough to negate a +8 bonus) to even trigger the cycle, and then proceeds to takes normal unmodified HT rolls once it starts (treating 16 doses as 1 dose). The +3 bonus sounds like 2 doublings, which would mean barely enough to triple the required dosage.

Another idea would be to just do something like 'Take 11', and say that toxins with an effective resistance roll after all modifiers that are milder than this are ineffective, but that seems like (a) it requires more of a rework of the way GURPS works and (b) risks producing weird results.

Thoughts?
Thanks in advance!
__________________
Vicky 'Molokh', GURPS FAQ and uFAQ Keeper
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:08 AM   #2
McAllister
 
McAllister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default Re: Poison resistance as dosage modification or sliding immunity, not roll bonus?

My first thought is that there's already an Advantage that's milder Resistance with mitigation of the effects of a failed roll: Protected Sense. I'm not super familiar with poison rules off the top of my head, but would replacing the roll bonus with a smaller bonus and some mitigation be possible? Or does your question boil down to "what's the universal-ish way to mitigate poison?"
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:17 AM   #3
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper
 
vicky_molokh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kyv, Ukraine
Default Re: Poison resistance as dosage modification or sliding immunity, not roll bonus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
My first thought is that there's already an Advantage that's milder Resistance with mitigation of the effects of a failed roll: Protected Sense. I'm not super familiar with poison rules off the top of my head, but would replacing the roll bonus with a smaller bonus and some mitigation be possible? Or does your question boil down to "what's the universal-ish way to mitigate poison?"
Mostly I'm looking for a fair way to model poison (and other bad stuff) resistance that isn't a case of "Upon eating a bad berry, you suffer the same 1d HP of damage, but 20% of the time instead of 80% of the time like normal humans".
__________________
Vicky 'Molokh', GURPS FAQ and uFAQ Keeper
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:32 AM   #4
evileeyore
Banned
 
evileeyore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 100 hurricane swamp
Default Re: Poison resistance as dosage modification or sliding immunity, not roll bonus?

Some form of DR vs Poisons?
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:44 AM   #5
scc
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Default Re: Poison resistance as dosage modification or sliding immunity, not roll bonus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Some form of DR vs Poisons?
Yep, this or a a chain of resistances, like used for enchanting in Sorcery

Last edited by scc; 10-24-2016 at 03:52 AM.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:11 AM   #6
Bruno
 
Bruno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Canada
Default Re: Poison resistance as dosage modification or sliding immunity, not roll bonus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Some form of DR vs Poisons?
I think this is an applicable place for the Internal modifier from Biotech and Limitations, where an advantage that only applies to your insides costs 1/5th it's usual cost. Not -80%, 1/5th, like an advantage that costs CP.
Although looking at Toxic, there really isn't supposed to be toxic effects that aren't deployed internally.

Internal Only DR vs poisons would probably only cover ingested poisons.
__________________
All about Size Modifier; Unified Hit Location Table
A Wiki for my F2F Group
A neglected GURPS blog
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:39 PM   #7
Flyndaran
Untagged
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Forest Grove, Beaverton, Oregon
Default Re: Poison resistance as dosage modification or sliding immunity, not roll bonus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Mostly I'm looking for a fair way to model poison (and other bad stuff) resistance that isn't a case of "Upon eating a bad berry, you suffer the same 1d HP of damage, but 20% of the time instead of 80% of the time like normal humans".
Most specific toxins are very rare all things considered.
Except in certain life forms, like cyanides in raw cassava, species of bamboo, millipede defensive sprays, etc.
Then again, humans have insane resistance to theobromine making it virtually impossible for us to overdose on it like cats, dogs, and bears have. But it isn't common in raw foods.
__________________
Beware, poor communication skills. No offense intended. If offended, it just means that I failed my writing skill check.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:45 PM   #8
Anthony
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Default Re: Poison resistance as dosage modification or sliding immunity, not roll bonus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Mostly I'm looking for a fair way to model poison (and other bad stuff) resistance that isn't a case of "Upon eating a bad berry, you suffer the same 1d HP of damage, but 20% of the time instead of 80% of the time like normal humans".
Trash the concept of resistance rolls and just have it do damage with symptoms, and then give defenses? While all or nothing is appropriate for diseases and some specific effects of poisons, many poison effects are nowhere near as random as resistance rolls would make them.
__________________
My GURPS site and Blog.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:49 PM   #9
David Johnston2
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default Re: Poison resistance as dosage modification or sliding immunity, not roll bonus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Greetings, all!

Since creatures that are adapted to more-toxic environments and diets are relevant to my campaigns, I keep thinking about Resistant to Metabolic Hazards (especially Poisons). And here's where it's been going all this time:

Could there perhaps be a way to make a Resistant variant that mostly doesn't provide a roll bonus, but rather makes an individual more resistant to bad stuff in a smoother, less random way. Perhaps there's a way to calculate a fair value by which effective doses could be reduced for the purpose of calculating harmful effects? !
Damage reduction
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:01 PM   #10
Flyndaran
Untagged
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Forest Grove, Beaverton, Oregon
Default Re: Poison resistance as dosage modification or sliding immunity, not roll bonus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Trash the concept of resistance rolls and just have it do damage with symptoms, and then give defenses? While all or nothing is appropriate for diseases and some specific effects of poisons, many poison effects are nowhere near as random as resistance rolls would make them.
One could say the same about damage rolls in general. The roll usually reflects impossible to determine variables that nevertheless greatly affect ultimate level of injury.

As to disease, I'd have to disagree because how severe of a form one gets can be quite random. I contracted a super mild form of shingles despite being in reasonably good health and 41 at the time. What would that be, making my resistance roll exactly?
(It was induced and concurrent with my very first oral herpes outbreak... in my nose though. I mention that as obviously shingles itself is a reviving of a long past infection, but it can be set off by something else in the body region.)

But it's not about whether the rules work as it, or even how realistic they are. It's about GMs getting the results and methods they want.

It would be an odd idea to make disease and toxin cause generic HP damage and eyeball the appropriate symptoms like how one could get creative in describing weapon caused injuries.
__________________
Beware, poor communication skills. No offense intended. If offended, it just means that I failed my writing skill check.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
metabolic hazards, poison, resistant, resistant to poison

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.