Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 07-28-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
Andy-W

Default Staying in a room after losing a fight

What happens if one cannot exit a room after a fight?

We had the following scenario:
Player A (level 5) enters a new room with his first movement point. The room is the "Wake Room/Guard Room???" that gives monsters +5. Seeing this, player B plays the "Bermuda Triangle" card to have A's previous room disappear leaving Player A "stranded" in the new room, since there are now no rooms adjacent anymore.
Player A draws the monster card, rolls the colored die, and rolls a monster of his own color. The monster is the crawling hand which is level 3. So together with the +5 the hand goes up to 8. Since Player A only got two items for a combined +4 he figures it is a fair fight. 9 vs. 8 plus dice...
Nobody wants to do anything to interfere...A rolls...3 for himself...5 for hand...
He loses and cannot flee since there is no room to flee to. (Don't ask me why he did not just declare himself dead!)
He loses two levels as a result of the bad stuff.

Question is...How does his turn go on now?
He is still in the room and still has 2 movement points.

Can he simply leave the room now to explore a new one? After all, there is a monster in his room (even one of his color). Does he have to fight it again?
Could he just keep fighting again and again until he is dead?
(He can just choose to fight at no movement cost, right?)
So, next fight...now at 7 vs. 8 plus dice...after losing once again...
for the next fights till death are all 5 vs. 8 plus dice...
and if he gets hit by the hand he cannot lose any more levels (Bad Stuff for the hand is "Lose two levels") so does he take two hits or one hit instead, or is he simply dead if it says "lose" a level when he is level 1?

(Hm, sorry...it's more than one question now...but all due to one situation.)

Last edited by Andy-W; 07-28-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Andy-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:36 AM   #2
SithMasterZaid

Default Re: Staying in a room after losing a fight

Wowzers... that is a very SNAFU situation! I actually have a similar scenario I'm gonna post! I think you would have to keep fighting or declare your munchkin as dead... because the other player played "Bermuda Triangle" strategically... forcing you to be stuck in a room with a monster that you're not likely to beat!

I wanna see what the "rule masters" say about this... if it passes... I'm gonna use this as strategy next time I get the "Bermuda Triangle"!
Old 07-29-2010, 07:04 AM   #3
MunchkinMan

First of all, the rules are clear on what happens if you can not escape:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MQ Rules
Under rare and awful circumstances (like if you walked through a wall) you might be fighting a monster in a room with no adjacent room. That means you have nowhere to run to! In that case, you automatically take the Bad Stuff, and your turn ends even if you had some Move left.
Your options here are to keep trying to win, wait until someone explores in that direction to create an adjacent room, or intentionally die (this is something you can do at any time during your turn) during the combat that will inevitably start on your next turn.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:37 AM   #4
Andy-W

Yeah, you are right...had not seen that part (they translated it perfectly correct in the German version). So, my bad on that part. Thanks.

Of course, nobody came to help. :-)
Everyone started searching the dungeon in the other direction! ;-)
Andy-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
SithMasterZaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
First of all, the rules are clear on what happens if you can not escape:

Your options here are to keep trying to win, wait until someone explores in that direction to create an adjacent room, or intentionally die (this is something you can do at any time during your turn) during the combat that will inevitably start on your next turn.
Hell yes! The Bermuda Triangle piece is now one of the strongest weapons in the game... I can't wait to destroy my friends with it!