Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-14-2015, 02:46 PM   #21
Culture20

Default Re: Building Immunity: Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
If you're only insubstantial to X (steel, water, fire) do you even need Affects Substantial and Can Carry Objects to affect or carry any non-X items?
Yes. These are inherent limitations that justify the low base price of Insubstantial, if you don't suffer them, you need to pay for them.
But this leads to absurd conclusions. If a character is insubstantial to unobtainium and only unobtainium, but doesn't have those two enhancements, he can't touch things made of non-unobtainium, but they can touch him. Worse: Insubstantial ( not insubstantial -100%), and suddenly you can't interact with anything because you have the insubstantial trait without the enhancements.
If the player wants to pick up or interact with things they're insubstantial to (unobtainium from above example), I could see requiring the enhancements.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:29 PM   #22
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
But this leads to absurd conclusions. If a character is insubstantial to unobtainium and only unobtainium, but doesn't have those two enhancements, he can't touch things made of non-unobtainium, but they can touch him.
The thing is, those enhancements are mandatory. If the way your insubstantial works lets you interact with substantial objects, you must purchase affects substantial. There is no rule for what happens if you don't purchase affects substantial, because you aren't allowed to do so.

Note that you only need can carry objects if the objects you carry become insubstantial.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:43 PM   #23
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I've used the following in a game:

Insubstantial (Affects Substantial +100%, no Permeation -50%, Achilles heel -10%, Relexive +40%, Partial Change +50%) [184]

It was in a 1000 point game somewhere between Monster Hunters and Supers (I named it god slayers), and told the PC's up front the opposition would have it and suggested they get it. About half of them did.

I didn't find the ability broken in the least. Nor did I find it do cause any more trouble with physics than it should of. Rules wise, it wasn't nearly as broken as say -- cosmic dodge. I kept knockback in there and everything played nicely. Yes, characters with it could survive nuclear basts and shield comrades from cannon fire. But they were supposed to, and I saw other things to do with 200 points that are just as outrageous.

This probably isn't quite RAW. but I stand by it as fair.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:41 PM   #24
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Could you build an immunity to fire as Insubstantial (Flames only, -80%)?
80% is of course too generous for a common damage source. Also you will of course still need the stuff that lets you affect the physical world. Lastly I've never been fond of that approach because it's just weird that insubstantial will somehow be able to set you on fire with their insubstantial fire.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:41 PM   #25
lexington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottriman View Post
Wouldn't a personal nigh immunity or complete immunity to fire be better modeled like this?

Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction 100 (Cosmic: Can reduce injury to less then 1 +50%, Limited: Fire -60%) [270]

Then buy like 10-20 levels of temperature tolerance to be impervious to the ambient effects.

for +135 pts the Damage reduction could go up to 1000.

Edit: This build has the advantage of protecting you fully against fire with the Affects Insubstantial enhancement.
This is what I'd do. It makes vastly more sense than Insubstaniability builds. Nothing that does over 100 or 1000 damage per second would be remotely similar "fire" as we understand it. In a supers or gods game where magical fire blasts can do that much damage that means its time to rescale damage.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
immunity to fire, powers as spells, sorcery