Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2018, 01:24 PM   #1
Cowrie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Default Disembodied Soul - Movement, Alternate Form Affliction and Magic

I'm working on a setting with a species of mermaid that can literally rip the soul out of a living creature. In this setting, a disembodied soul is a physical thing; it does not have the spirit metatrait. A disembodied soul looks like a glowing ball of light about a foot in diameter, has a physical form comparable in solidity to a inflated rubber ball with a silky surface texture and can be stored in a cage, but not bound into an object. I'm working on a new racial template/metatrait for it, which is currently:

Attribute Modifiers: ST-10 [-100]
Secondary Characteristic Modifiers: SM-3; HP+4 [8]
Advantages: 360° Vision [25]; Doesn’t Breathe [20]; Doesn't Eat or Drink [10]; Flight [40]; Illumination [1]; Immunity to Metabolic Hazards [30]; Injury Tolerance (Homogenous, No Blood) [45]; Magery 1 [15]; Slippery 1 [2]; Speak Underwater [5]; Unaging [15].
Disadvantages: No Manipulators [-50]
Features: No Legs (Aerial); Taboo Trait (Fixed ST).

However, I would like them to be able to move underwater at the same speed as through the air. Is this Amphibious, or is there some enhancement on Flight I could use to make it work underwater?

As for how the mermaids rip out the soul, they have an Affliction with Advantage (Alternate Form with Projected Form), Permanent, Malediction 1, and Melee Attack (Reach C, Cannot Parry). However, I'm not sure if that would make the afflicted individual unable to return to their body, or if I need to add something else to it to make that impossible. I'm also uncertain how to price the Alternate form for the Affliction, since the mermaids could be afflicting different species.

The other thing is, these disembodied souls are pure, concentrated magical energy. They're a strong, important power source for the mermaids that rip them out of bodies. I'd sort of like to use the RPM system for this setting, and the use of souls is sort of like Unwilling Sacrifice, since it destroys the soul being used, but I want it so that multiple souls can be used in a given casting. Also, I want it so that certain greater effects or combinations thereof are outright impossible to attain without using at least one soul. How should I handle this?

Last edited by Cowrie; 05-04-2018 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Added Doesn't Eat or Drink to template.
Cowrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:48 AM   #2
Dustin
 
Dustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The former Chochenyo territory
Default Re: Disembodied Soul - Movement, Alternate Form Affliction and Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowrie View Post
I would like them to be able to move underwater at the same speed as through the air. Is this Amphibious, or is there some enhancement on Flight I could use to make it work underwater?
With Flight, underwater speed is already half air speed. You could either
  1. Buy up enough Water Move (B18) to make up the difference, or
  2. instead of Flight, buy Amphibious and Walk On Air together to have air and water Move be the same as ground Move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowrie View Post
As for how the mermaids rip out the soul, they have an Affliction with Advantage (Alternate Form with Projected Form), Permanent, Malediction 1, and Melee Attack (Reach C, Cannot Parry). However, I'm not sure if that would make the afflicted individual unable to return to their body, or if I need to add something else to it to make that impossible. I'm also uncertain how to price the Alternate form for the Affliction, since the mermaids could be afflicting different species.
You might just price it as Heart Attack with a 0% enhancement that instead of killing the victim, you're inflicting a new form. I think that's how "turned into a frog" usually gets handled, and this is roughly equivalent.
__________________
My gaming blog: Thor's Grumblings
Keep your friends close, and your enemies in Close Combat.
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:39 AM   #3
starslayer
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Default Re: Disembodied Soul - Movement, Alternate Form Affliction and Magic

Does the soul need to be carefully hand fed or it dies? Is there a restoration process, or can they just potentially escape their cages?

When you afflict someone with a hostile advantage (ie alternate form) you have control of the advantage not the subject.

Affliction (alternate form) is the right way to do this, however remember that even though this is disadvantageous you are afflicting an advantage (so it will be 10* advantage value as a modifier, generally more expensive than heart attack)
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:50 PM   #4
Cowrie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Default Re: Disembodied Soul - Movement, Alternate Form Affliction and Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
Does the soul need to be carefully hand fed or it dies? Is there a restoration process, or can they just potentially escape their cages?
They don't need fed, so I need to add Doesn't Eat or Drink to that template, that completely slipped my mind. If they escape their cage, they can re-enter their body so long as it's still intact, but with these mermaids that's rarely an issue because the mermaids that do this tend to devour their victims after they rip out the soul, which, come to think of it, means the RAW Projected Form limitation is not appropriate on the alternate form, since with that, if one body dies, so does the other, but I'm not sure how else to represent what's going on. Would a +50% cosmic modifier allow the soul to continue existence even if the original body dies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
Affliction (alternate form) is the right way to do this, however remember that even though this is disadvantageous you are afflicting an advantage (so it will be 10* advantage value as a modifier, generally more expensive than heart attack)
I know that the cost of enhancement is 10* advantage value, I'm just not certain how to price the advantage, since it could be applied to individuals with different racial templates. Should I just price it as for Alternate Form for a human? That's probably the cheapest racial template it could replace, though not all templates are finalized.
Cowrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:43 AM   #5
starslayer
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Default Re: Disembodied Soul - Movement, Alternate Form Affliction and Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowrie View Post
They don't need fed, so I need to add Doesn't Eat or Drink to that template, that completely slipped my mind. If they escape their cage, they can re-enter their body so long as it's still intact, but with these mermaids that's rarely an issue because the mermaids that do this tend to devour their victims after they rip out the soul, which, come to think of it, means the RAW Projected Form limitation is not appropriate on the alternate form, since with that, if one body dies, so does the other, but I'm not sure how else to represent what's going on. Would a +50% cosmic modifier allow the soul to continue existence even if the original body dies?


I know that the cost of enhancement is 10* advantage value, I'm just not certain how to price the advantage, since it could be applied to individuals with different racial templates. Should I just price it as for Alternate Form for a human? That's probably the cheapest racial template it could replace, though not all templates are finalized.
The ability to understandon the transformation by mundane means (ie reunite soul with body) means it qualifies for the +150% version of permanent, you don't need to query about it ground that.

This is going to be what a -150 point form? In that case the alternate form will just be the base cost with modifiers (15 + 150%), unless there are some -150 point races out there that mermaids will be transforming you don't have to worry if it's a 0 point human, a 40 point cat man, or a -40 point goblin. As long as the spirit form is worth less points it just carries base cost.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 11:55 AM   #6
Cowrie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Default Re: Disembodied Soul - Movement, Alternate Form Affliction and Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
This is going to be what a -150 point form? In that case the alternate form will just be the base cost with modifiers (15 + 150%), unless there are some -150 point races out there that mermaids will be transforming you don't have to worry if it's a 0 point human, a 40 point cat man, or a -40 point goblin. As long as the spirit form is worth less points it just carries base cost.
The form has -150 points of disadvantages. Factoring in all costs, the current version has a net cost of +66 points.
Cowrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 02:56 PM   #7
David Johnston2
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default Re: Disembodied Soul - Movement, Alternate Form Affliction and Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowrie View Post
However, I would like them to be able to move underwater at the same speed as through the air. Is this Amphibious, or is there some enhancement on Flight I could use to make it work underwater?
<shrug> Actually I'd let insubstantial handle ignoring the water.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:21 PM   #8
Cowrie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Default Re: Disembodied Soul - Movement, Alternate Form Affliction and Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
<shrug> Actually I'd let insubstantial handle ignoring the water.
Did you not read the template? These disembodied souls are very much substantial.
Cowrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 06:15 AM   #9
Anaraxes
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Default Re: Disembodied Soul - Movement, Alternate Form Affliction and Magic

Should disembodied souls have Permeation (Flesh)? How do they get embodied in the first place? Maybe external magic, or maybe it's something they do on their own.

How about Possession or Mind Control? Does a soul have any influence over what the body does and/or what the mind thinks, if one is present? What happens to the body when its soul is removed?
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:59 AM   #10
Not another shrubbery
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Disembodied Soul - Movement, Alternate Form Affliction and Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowrie View Post
Did you not read the template? These disembodied souls are very much substantial.
I had been thinking about the potential of using Insubstantiality to handle the movement as well. Just because you don't want all the things a trait like Insub. gives you, doesn't mean that you have to reject it entirely. All you have to do is modify it to take away the things you don't need. In the past, I've stripped away the movement capability from Insub. and called it a -25% Limitation, but keeping ONLY that part and discarding everything else seems too cheap if you make it a -75% limiter (the movement grant by Insub. is better than Walk on Air). It would probably be more balanced at -70%.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
permeation

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.