Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Daily Illuminator

Old 06-22-2024, 11:00 PM   #1
RoboAdmin
Spam Assassin

Default June 23, 2024: Itty-Bitty Data

June 23, 2024: Itty-Bitty Data

Read this article on the Illuminator.
RoboAdmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 08:38 AM   #2
stefanj

Default Re: June 23, 2024: Itty-Bitty Data

Advice:

If thumb drives / SD cards are your backup medium, use multiple sticks and buy name brand units.

I had two "price too good to be true" 128 gb thumb drives. One totally bricked; another fails after a few minutes of steady writing.

I use thumb drives all the time, and I do back up to them, but as part of a larger backup scheme.

And also: You can buy little cardstock tags/ labels at office stores. They have a string on 'em. When I get a thumbdrive, I tie a tag to it, put on an address sticker, and a description of the contents. e.g., "Lenovo 490 windows partition backup", "Documents 240623", "Linux install".
Old 06-23-2024, 03:45 PM   #3
Alden Loveshade

Synchronicity Alert 1: Just today I purchased something I can easily pick up with two fingers (if you count the thumb as a finger) that holds a terabyte+.

Synchronicity Alert 2:As I was reading that Daily Illuminator post, I had just started backing up files on that very same itty-bitty two-finger item.

It's amazing thinking about how much data we can store on something very small. Not all that many decades ago, that much computer memory would have required enough buildings to fill an entire neighborhood.
Pyramid #4/4: Fantasy/Magic II! Add Sparkle To Your GURPS Game.
Top 12 Clues You're a Role-Playing Old-Timer My humorous (I hope) article that also promotes SJGames/GURPS
GURPS Fantasy Folk: Elves My first GURPS supplement
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 08:38 AM   #4
Brf

I remember the first time I did a repair on a modern laptop, and found its "harddrive" was the size of a postage stamp.
Brf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 11:39 AM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

There was an article in Pyramid 2e about how much digital data was equivalent to an analogue version. I think about that sometimes while Internet surfing: "This is at least 6 oxcarts of books!"
My Discord

Latest GURPS Book: Meta-Tech
Latest TFT: Vile Vines

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 05:57 PM   #6
DeadParrot

Another advantage of itty-bitty data devices is the smallest safe deposit box can serve as a secure off site backup storage site. I know "Cloud" is all the rage right now but remember that "Cloud Storage" is just someone else's server operated by someone else's employees. Cloud might be fine as one backup site but probably not as your only backup site.
DeadParrot is offline   Reply With Quote