Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-05-2018, 09:34 AM   #11
Cowrie

Default Re: Disembodied Soul - Movement, Alternate Form Affliction and Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Should disembodied souls have Permeation (Flesh)? How do they get embodied in the first place? Maybe external magic, or maybe it's something they do on their own.
They can only re-enter their own body, so I'm dubious as to whether Permeation (Flesh) would be appropriate, since the re-entering their own body is, as starslayer mentioned, effectively just an end-condition on permanent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
How about Possession or Mind Control? Does a soul have any influence over what the body does and/or what the mind thinks, if one is present? What happens to the body when its soul is removed?
A soul cannot control it's own body without rejoining it, and can't control other bodies under any circumstances. The original form of a disembodied soul is basically left in something resembling a coma or enduring state of unconsciousness when the soul is removed, and either can continue to live if the other is destroyed, though if the soul is destroyed, the body will never wake up, and if the body is destroyed, the soul will remain disembodied until destroyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
I had been thinking about the potential of using Insubstantiality to handle the movement as well. Just because you don't want all the things a trait like Insub. gives you, doesn't mean that you have to reject it entirely. All you have to do is modify it to take away the things you don't need. In the past, I've stripped away the movement capability from Insub. and called it a -25% Limitation, but keeping ONLY that part and discarding everything else seems too cheap if you make it a -75% limiter (the movement grant by Insub. is better than Walk on Air). It would probably be more balanced at -70%.
You have a point, but if it also allows free movement though water, wouldn't that also make it better than Walk on Air + Amphibious? In which case, wouldn't -60% be a more appropriate modifier? Or -55% if going by the rule of thumb of modifiers adding up to -80%.
Cowrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:09 AM   #12
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowrie View Post
You have a point, but if it also allows free movement though water, wouldn't that also make it better than Walk on Air + Amphibious? In which case, wouldn't -60% be a more appropriate modifier? Or -55% if going by the rule of thumb of modifiers adding up to -80%.
It's about as good as WoA+Amphib. I might go with -65%, but -60% doesn't look outrageously overpriced. I don't understand your last point about the modifier total.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:36 PM   #13
Cowrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
It's about as good as WoA+Amphib. I might go with -65%, but -60% doesn't look outrageously overpriced. I don't understand your last point about the modifier total.
Though I'm not sure if it was on the forums or in the books, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that two possible limitations on an advantage that would effectively make the advantage void if combined and are because of that mutually exclusive should add up to -80% rather than -100%. I may be misremembering, though.
Cowrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:17 PM   #14
Anthony

Quote:
Though I'm not sure if it was on the forums or in the books, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that two possible limitations on an advantage that would effectively make the advantage void if combined and are because of that mutually exclusive should add up to -80% rather than -100%. I may be misremembering, though.
It's just that there's an -80% cap -- if you have a -40% limitation and a -60% limitation, it's treated as -80%.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:17 PM   #15
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Where is the other modifier coming from? Isn't the Limitation to account for Insub. not letting you walk through walls or ignore enemy attacks the only one?
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
permeation