Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-24-2021, 02:16 PM   #1
LoneWolf23k

Default [DF] Artificers and Technomagic Gadgeteering

So, something I was considering, if I were to run a Dungeon Fantasy game in a world like Eberron, where Magic is the basis for Technology, is the idea of making some kinds of Magic Items into, essentially, Tech devices powered by magic, and built using Gadgeteering rules instead of Enchantment.

These would have some strict limitations for play balance, of course. Like being expensive to make, having limited uses (a crystal battery being the equivalent of a power cell), being fragile to damage (or coming apart during a critical failed use check), or even requiring a roll on the Weird Technology table on ANY failed check. And of course, the magic-tech devices being dependent on Mana to even function.

For one example of such a device, imagine a Flashlight from GURPS High-Tech, built as a magi-tech device: a metal-laced rod with a glowing gemstone set at the tip, powered by a different power gem at the base. A TL (3+3) device that still weighs 1lb, costs $20, and has a power use of 2xS/5 hours.

I could go into more examples, but the gist of my idea is this: in a fantasy world where magical technology exists, it's probably simpler to base the creation and use of this magical technology on alternate TL version of Design/Invention and Repair skills than trying to work out enchantment spells for each magitech item.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 02:55 PM   #2
Stormcrow

Default Re: [DF] Artificers and Technomagic Gadgeteering

If an item to be made uses straightforward magic, just use the enchantment rules. Use the invention rules for complicated magic items that can't simply be described with enchantments.

This will lead to a different set of gadgets that require the invention rules than you'd get in an a mundane setting. A flashlight is a complicated device that must be invented and engineered in a mundane setting, but a wand of Light is pretty simple in a magical setting.

It also helps if the principles of magic are well-understood in the setting. If magic is ineffable, invention is difficult. If magic is just a matter of channeling mana with clear rituals, these can easily be incorporated into inventions.

The GM has to decide whether magic is something you can just incorporate into technology or not.
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote