Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-12-2022, 09:59 AM   #41
Skarg

Default Re: Defend and changing options

Seems more right to me, than not being able to act after being ignored by adjacent enemies after taking a defensive stance.

Even playing with this or even more liberal Defend options, in my experience, almost no one with a decent attack chooses to Defend, anyway.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 11:35 PM   #42
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
That'll be getting a house rule treatment in games I run. It doesn't seem right to me that, by merely appearing to defend, someone can benefit from by having enemies pick an easier target and then turn around and attack anyway.
The easy solution here is that players shouldn't be allowed to declare they are using Defend until attacked, or until it's their turn to act in adjDX order, whichever comes first. Or to remind folk that if it is declared at the end of movement, that declaration is meaningless.
Old 04-13-2022, 06:50 AM   #43
hcobb

As of Hexagram #9, anybody can switch from defend to attack when their turn to act arrives and they've not actually been attacked.

There is no such ruling for Dodge, AFAIK.

Also Delayed Actions (ITL 123) is an optional rule that a GM may allow on a case by case basis.

Therefore the new Schrödinger's Hobgoblin works like this:
  1. DX 10 Hobgoblins A and B declare defend as they half-move up to engage DX 12 sir Stabsalot.
  2. Whichever hobgoblin Stabsalot doesn't attack will attack him, while the other is forced in their defend when Stabsalot declares his attack on either A or B.
  3. Knowing this Stabsalot switches to Disengage on his turn to act and leaves the Hobgoblins doing nothing this turn.
  4. The next group of Hobgoblins equip themselves with javelins in order to act before Stabsalot's rapier, forcing him to defend instead of disengage.
Old 04-13-2022, 03:21 PM   #44
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
  1. DX 10 Hobgoblins A and B declare defend as they half-move up to engage DX 12 sir Stabsalot.
  2. Whichever hobgoblin Stabsalot doesn't attack will attack him, while the other is forced in their defend when Stabsalot declares his attack on either A or B.
  3. Knowing this Stabsalot switches to Disengage on his turn to act and leaves the Hobgoblins doing nothing this turn.
Next turn, if the hobgoblins move first, they step to either side of Stabsalot. Now if Stabsalot takes Disengage, he can only get away from one of them.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote