Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-23-2019, 11:29 PM   #1
Superbgamer5225

Default G4e Warp + Invertebrate Question

I was wondering how Warp and Invertebrate were handled together as by the rules.

Invertebrate says "Use your full Basic Lift for the purpose of pushing, but only 1/4 your BL to calculate the weight you can lift, carry, or pull."

Warp says "You can carry up to Basic Lift when you travel".

Does this mean that when warping, you can only use 1/4 BL to calculate your load? Also, do you have to physically carry the object/person you want to warp?

Sorry if this question has been answered on the FAQ or on a different thread, I couldn't seem to find that.
Superbgamer5225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:31 PM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: G4e Warp + Invertebrate Question

I take it that you have to physically pick up and carry it. In GURPS Supers, I provided two modifiers to Warp, for which it was based either on telekinetic liftiing capacity, or on Will in place of ST (which required only touching the objects).

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:04 PM   #3
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I take it that you have to physically pick up and carry it.
Or for those lacking arms, if the target is somehow affixing itself to you, like a rider balancing atop a horse?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:21 PM   #4
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I don't think the method used to connect the material being transported to yourself actually matters, so long as the method is specified, and the material is a useful "object" (eg. you can't use it to carve chunks of rock out of a cliff face, or teleport only the barrel of your foe's gun)

I would use the unmodified basic lift, but I freely admit that's just my opinion,and I possibly think that because I believe invertebrate is limiting enough as it is.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 02:17 PM   #5
Plane

in honor of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push_(2009_film) I also like the idea of using their undivided full BL which they get while pushing stuff.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 03:25 PM   #6
Refplace

Teleporters can carry what they hold but also often what they are touching. I would go with full BL or give it a limitation for using reduced ST.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 03:43 PM   #7
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
in honor of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push_(2009_film) I also like the idea of using their undivided full BL which they get while pushing stuff.
Push lacked characters with Warp IIRC, the main character instead having Telekinesis (and the title actually referencing "Pushers," who had Mind Control, which was... a little confusing). I suspect you're thinking of Jumper, wherein the titular characters had Warp (but not, it should be noted, Jumper). They seemed to largely lack much of a limit to what they could bring with them, being limited more by the fact that they needed to be moving relative to the Earth's surface, although it's possible the two we see just happened to have really high Warp carrying capacities (I believe Griffin stated he could "Jump anything that moved," or something to that extent).
Old 11-25-2019, 06:35 PM   #8
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Teleporters can carry what they hold but also often what they are touching. I would go with full BL or give it a limitation for using reduced ST.
Being able to carry stuff that you are just touching seems to me to work better as based on (Will^2)/5 than on (ST^2)/5. That's how I did it in my version of GURPS Supers. My thought was that you must have gained control of the thing, whether by picking it up (standard), telekinetically grasping it, or just focusing your Will on it.

I would not go with full BL for invertebrates. If you're basing Warp on ST then you should use actual ST, as limited by your body build. If you want to avoid that, pay for the enhancement that lets you use Will instead.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
jumper, warp