Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 03-06-2024, 09:43 AM   #21
Dalin

Default Re: DFRPG Solo gaming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessgriffin View Post
Maybe GURPS is just locked in the past and all the players are just the old people who gamed back in the 80s. I hope not. I'd love to see GURPS get a resurrgence of new players at least a fraction of the D&D 5e increase.
While I am a proud member of the '80s gamer cohort, most of the people I play GURPS and DFRPG with are younger. My circles of adult players are mostly in their 30s (some late 20s). For about half of them, GURPS is their first TTRPG. The rest started with D&D 5e (one did 4e briefly).

Most of the other players I work with are between 10 and 18 years old. They are members of the clubs and summer camps that I help run at school. The kids love GURPS once they see what it can do. I haven't heard anyone complain about the art. I will say, though, that especially the younger kids strongly prefer print over PDF. They want a book with a glossy cover to pass around the table. They (and their parents) also like to be able to see stuff at stores, where GURPS is basically nonexistent, so that remains an obstacle. They are also much less likely to join crowdfunding campaigns and that sort of thing.

My little corner of Minnesota cannot singlehandedly fuel a GURPS resurgence, of course, but I assume that these folks aren't so different from people elsewhere. Once you get GURPS into a subculture so that people hear about other people playing GURPS, it gets a lot easier to spread it around.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 09:41 AM   #22
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

It's the last TWO DAYS for Saethor's Bane: A Dungeon Fantasy RPG Solo Adventure!

The project funded in the first eight hours and now stands just a bit shy of the $21,000 full-color-interior stretch goal. It ends at 9:30pm Central Time, Saturday March 9.

This solo adventure is a great way to learn or teach the Dungeon Fantasy RPG. It gives you a chance to try out new professions and rules with no time pressure.

Please jump on board before time runs out!

If you are in forums where you don't see me posting that would welcome such things, I'd appreciate a shout-out or helping spread the word. We only need about 40 new backers to hit the goal, and there should be lots of folks who would be willing to try out a game by themselves that might not have a group.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 08:30 PM   #23
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
I think to address the healing issue, you need to run it more like a CRPG. Specifically, you need a healing potion bandolier with a 99 vial capacity.
Or you could just buy up Move and stay out of melee. It's not infallible but it's a pretty good damage mitigator.
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 03:59 AM   #24
Jpot

@restlessgriffin:
Sorry for using shorthand. HC = Hardcover.

EasyGurps’ table is really amazing. I’m hoping the YouTube channel he uses creates a hex map soon.

I respect the effort and the numbers game a publisher must play, the tightrope they must walk to bring a new project to life on this platform. Thanks Doug! Let’s remember that GB isn’t SJG and be thankful that there are 3rd party companies willing to do this for the games we love.

Last edited by Jpot; 03-08-2024 at 08:09 AM.
Jpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 09:56 AM   #25
DouglasCole

Everything is color now.

We passed the $21,000 goal in the night [1] so I'll be reaching out and giving the go signal (translated as a contract and money in advance) to the art team, who will mostly be revisiting their old works. A few have indicated that they're prefer to do entirely new pieces, so that's even better.

Expect this to take 1-2 months for full completion, but that's just for the print works. As soon as the conversion of the main material is done, backers will get greyscale versions of the books to play and test. When the art comes in (maps are already in) they'll be added to the color interior

I'm very excited about this, as I do prefer color and all my DFRPG books before have been color. The cards will look spectacular and be useful.

This is great news ... and there's still a day and a half left!

[1]I can't help but hear this in the voice of Wormtongue from Lord of the Rings: "Oh ... we must have passed the stretch goal during the night."

https://www.backerkit.com/c/projects...umsStretchGoal
Old 03-08-2024, 11:45 AM   #26
Jpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Everything is color now.

We passed the $21,000 goal in the night [1] so I'll be reaching out and giving the go signal (translated as a contract and money in advance) to the art team, who will mostly be revisiting their old works. A few have indicated that they're prefer to do entirely new pieces, so that's even better.

Expect this to take 1-2 months for full completion, but that's just for the print works. As soon as the conversion of the main material is done, backers will get greyscale versions of the books to play and test. When the art comes in (maps are already in) they'll be added to the color interior

I'm very excited about this, as I do prefer color and all my DFRPG books before have been color. The cards will look spectacular and be useful.

This is great news ... and there's still a day and a half left!

[1]I can't help but hear this in the voice of Wormtongue from Lord of the Rings: "Oh ... we must have passed the stretch goal during the night."

https://www.backerkit.com/c/projects...umsStretchGoal

Doug do you mean we will get physical greyscale books and once the color version is ready we will receive that as well? Thanks. Sorry if Iím confused.
Jpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 12:12 PM   #27
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpot View Post
Doug do you mean we will get physical greyscale books and once the color version is ready we will receive that as well? Thanks. Sorry if Iím confused.
No, the digital books will go out as quickly as I can prepare them with whatever color stuff I have at the moment.

When it's all done, including some time for proofing and any comments from fight testing while the color is being worked on, I'll send out the physical stuff in full color.

That will be after (a) the project closes tomorrow, (b) a delay for Backerkit funds of about 14 days, (c) surveys open and folks fill them out, (d) cards start being charged on a rolling basis, and (e) the art comes in.

I suspect folks will start seeing the digital files before March is up, and the final color PDFs in April, with the physical goods in May.

If I can go faster I will, but I'm not the rate-limiting step in a lot of this.