Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-05-2020, 04:57 PM   #31
Phantasm

Default Re: [Supers] 21st DCU Golden Age (DC Nerfed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
He didn't have a Comics Code CoH... he used Batman style intimidation at least twice, and regularly killed one or two guys an episode for his first decade in print.
Yeah, the Comics Code CoH didn't appear until the adoption of the Comics Code Authority in 1957, which was created in large part due to political backlash over various things in comics (including one instance of Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson sleeping in the same king-sized bed). Back in the '30s and '40s, things were much closer to the comics' pulp origins, as the medium was still trying to find its niche and audience. You had superheroes alongside gritty war stories, over the top war stories, teen romance stories, supernatural tales of vampires and werewolves, and period sci-fi, in 8-page or less vignettes, 4 or 5 to a comic.

So yeah, Superman was much more a superhuman pulp adventurer in the original comics. I can't remember an instance of him killing, but I'm pretty sure he didn't develop the "refuses to kill" aspect until the war was over. Of course, not every enemy deserved death.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:01 PM   #32
pawsplay

Superman was different back then.

https://comicvine1.cbsistatic.com/up...erdicklol2.jpg
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:06 PM   #33
dcarson

I remember a article that said Superman went from jumping to flying because when they started doing cartoons he looked silly jumping along like a kangaroo.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:21 PM   #34
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
I remember a article that said Superman went from jumping to flying because when they started doing cartoons he looked silly jumping along like a kangaroo.
No kangarooing. From the begining of the Fleischer Brothers caroons Superman made long soaring leaps, probably far beyond the 1/8th of a mile frequnetly quoted. He also tended to maneuver more than would have been physically possible. I think they just gave up and made it full flight when he started to interact with airplanes.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:13 PM   #35
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
No kangarooing. From the begining of the Fleischer Brothers caroons Superman made long soaring leaps, probably far beyond the 1/8th of a mile frequnetly quoted. He also tended to maneuver more than would have been physically possible. I think they just gave up and made it full flight when he started to interact with airplanes.
I think that was either because the animators thought he'd look silly, or because they did test animations and couldn't find a way to make the bouncing look cool.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:20 PM   #36
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
I think that was either because the animators thought he'd look silly, or because they did test animations and couldn't find a way to make the bouncing look cool.
He did not bounce like a kangaroo.

He leapt so far take-off and landing were never in the same panel or had multiple seconds between. He jumped at least as far as the Hulk.

I've seen all the Fleischer Brothers cartoons and know where of I speak.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:37 PM   #37
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
[CENTER]Amazon racial package
ST +20 (Super -10%) [180], HP -20 (Super -10%) [-36], IT:DR/5 (Super -10%) [113], Regeneration (Slow; Super -10%) [9], Intolerance (Men) [-5], Low TL (TL4)* [-20]. Total 241 points.

*TL4 and Intolerance (Men) comes from being raised on the island. Characters that adjust to modern society can buy off both. Wonder Woman does not have intolerance.
I’m not sure I’d give them ST as high as that. It’s roughly as strong as ten men. For Diana, sure, but for average Amazons? I think +10 would be more plausible.

I think heightened Basic Speed May be in order, given the traditional sport of bullets and bracelets.

I don’t see any indication of heightened endurance of wounds, or of Regeneration.

A case could be made for racial Attractive.

Low TL 4 seems to assume a TL8 reference society. When Diana came to Man’s World it was at the cusp of TL6 and 7; that argues for -2 or -3.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:44 PM   #38
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I’

I think heightened Basic Speed May be in order, given the traditional sport of bullets and bracelets.

I
Without special enchantments bullet-deflecting requires either Enhanced Time Sense or Precognitive Parry.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:13 PM   #39
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
If you think Krypton has higher gravity, then things will fall faster than on Earth. He probably should have enhanced Basic Speed. I would suggest +5, which would give an average Kryptonian doubled reflexes. If you buy it up, you can drop a level each of Enhanced Move and Super Jumping.
It would depend on the adaptation. Being slower, deliberate, and durable has as much utility as being fast and nimble.

In any case, neither early versions or later version show Clark to be an artful dodger. Kryptonians move inhumanly fast, but they have never been any better at getting out of the way than other even less super heroes. I could see raising Basic Move rather than buying EM (which would save 5 points if the template didn't have Super Jumping) but improving Basic Speed like that would translate to a "dances between bullets" Dodge level that Kryptonians don't demonstrate.

Quote:
Should his DR be flexible? He doesn't move as if his skin were made up of rigid plates.
It's already got a low signature to effectively be skinline rather than armor like. As for the stopping power, I figured it was better if he didn't take blunt trauma since the DR was intended to stop damage from attacks that do less than 10 damage.

Quote:
What's your source for Regeneration?
He recovers from injury between strips and panels, never having any lasting injury.

Quote:
If this is the 1930s Supes, the Comic Code hadn't even been thought of then. And I believe he originally was more violent and more willing to work outside the law than the Comics Code allowed. I'm not even sure he has a CoH at all, though he has some sort of ethical standard.
The pieces of that code are:
- Avoid conventional weaponry. Clark does, though largely he doesn't need any either.
- Keep your word. I'd say the Kents can be assumed to teach him to be honorable.
- Protect innocents. Clark seems to be an advocate for those that need help even in early appearances, both as a reporter and Superman.
- Protect identities. This wouldn't come up for some time.
- Use powers to win, but not bully. Marginal, but he mostly just grandstands a bit to show off his abilities.

There's nothing there that prevents lethal force, working outside the law, or violence.

I gave him Pacifism (Innocents) to note that Clark does uses lethal force as a last resort and protects bystanders as his top priority.

Quote:
If you're giving him reduced HP, I don't think you should also pay points for his HP 15. It seems you should just buy them down from his ST.
I broke out the meta-trait/racial package instead of just putting "Kryptonian [x]" but I still treated it like a package. There's also the power modifier. If it's ever negated, he's still a beefy HP 15, 6'+ farmboy.

Quote:
Isn't Brawling normally learned by fighting with other people? I'm not sure he could ever have done that without killing people; or that they could ever have been enough of a challenge for him to gain useful practice.
I wanted to make his blows more accurate than an 11, but it's really just a matter of taste. In early appearances it might be fitting for him to rely on his toughness and use either Evaluate or AOA for hit bonuses instead. Brawling could go.

Quote:
I wonder if he ought to have Professional Skill: Journalism?
As a replacement for writing? I figure the two pieces of journalism are getting the story and writing the story. I took research for looking up stuff and writing for the latter. Naturally a more experienced journalist would know how to read people and interrogate them as well.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:15 PM   #40
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
So yeah, Superman was much more a superhuman pulp adventurer in the original comics. I can't remember an instance of him killing, but I'm pretty sure he didn't develop the "refuses to kill" aspect until the war was over. Of course, not every enemy deserved death.
I didn't give this version any aversion to killing those that really do bad things.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
supers