Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-07-2021, 08:16 PM   #1691
Phantasm

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

And an edit to Wasp.

Big changes to Wasp:
- Recalculated Affliction and Burning Attack while adding Variable and Surge to both.
- Added Enhanced Move (Air) to boost her flight speed.
- Redid her Disad list entirely
- Added more business-oriented skills. Just because her father doesn't want her in the family business doesn't mean she didn't pick stuff up by osmosis growing up.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:23 AM   #1692
Phantasm

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

WHIRLWIND

Occupation: Professional criminal, con artist, former chauffeur.
Identity: Known to the authorities.
Legal Status: Citizen of the United States with a criminal record.
Other Aliases: Charles Matthews.
Place of Birth: Kansas City, Missouri.
Marital Status: Single.
Known Relatives: None.
Group Affiliation: None.
Base of Operations: Chicago, Illinois, greater metro area.
History: David Cannon was a small-time criminal who didn't realize he was a mutant until reaching adulthood. When he discovered his powers while running a con posing as an ice figure skater, it didn't take him long to put them to use. He started by contacting the Tinkerer to build him some weapons he could use while using his powers, then developed the identity of the Whirlwind (see Tinkerer).

As part of one con, he decided to replace Janet van Dyne's chauffeur in order to learn how to access the van Dyne fortune. He did this by kidnapping the regular chauffeur and holding him hostage in a warehouse, then applying for the job under the assumed name of Charles Matthews. As Matthews, he soon learned that van Dyne was the Wasp, and eventually from listening to her he pieced together that her scientist boyfriend Hank Pym was Ant-Man, both members of the Avengers (see Ant-Man; Avengers; Wasp).

Eventually, however, he got greedy and made a move to rob the bank housing the van Dyne fortune. This put him in direct conflict with the Diminutive Duo and their ally Giant-Man, who defeated him (see Giant-Man).

While awaiting trial, the Whirlwind was busted out by the Crimson Cowl, who wanted to recruit him for her Lethal Legion (see Crimson Cowl; Lethal Legion). While desiring revenge on Ant-Man and Wasp for his earlier defeat, Whirlwind did not agree with the Cowl's idea of killing them, preferring instead to humiliate them, and declined to join, flying away instead.

The Whirlwind has twice more fought Ant-Man and Wasp, being defeated each time, although on the first occasion he managed to escape. He is currently in prison awaiting trial.
Height: 6' 1".
Weight: 220 lbs.
Eyes: Brown.
Hair: Black.
Uniform: Metallic gray mail armor bodysuit, metallic green armored cuirass, metallic green armored trunks, green boots, metallic green full-face helmet, metallic green wristbands.
Strength Level: Whirlwind possesses the normal human strength of a man of his age, height, and build who engages in intensive regular exercise.
Known Superhuman Powers: Whirlwind possesses the superhuman mutant power to move at superhuman speeds, primarily spinning himself along his lengthwise axis; he has been clocked at spinning at over 400 rotations per minute. This spinning ability makes it possible for him to move in any direction at superhuman speeds; he has been clocked at moving up to 50 miles per hour in a given direction for up to 30 minutes without tiring appreciably. As he spins, he is able to make out objects in any direction and can change direction almost instantly.

By spinning, he is also able to propel himself into the air, enabling him to fly by riding the air currents he creates; he can fly at speeds up to 120 mph. He is also able to rotate his arms superhumanly fast to create intense gusts of air which he can use offensively to knock people over or demolish brick walls, and create a wind screen capable of deflecting massive objects such as falling stonework.

As a side effect of his powers, he possesses superhuman reflexes, able to catch items thrown at him with ease and land multiple punches on someone in rapid succession.
Other Abilities: David Cannon was a skilled con artist even before discovering his powers.
Weapons: Whirlwind's wrists are equipped with superfine circular saw blades which can cut through most materials given time, and his belt contains a number of similar blades which he can hurl at superhuman speeds.
Armor: Whirlwind's uniform is composed of titanium steel chain links.

803 points
Attributes: ST 14 [40]; DX 15 [100]; IQ 11 [20]; HT 13 [30].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d/2d; BL 39 lbs.; HP 14 [0]; Will 11 [0]; Per 11 [0]; FP 13 [0]; Basic Speed 7.00 [0]; Basic Move 7 [0]; Basic Air Move 15 [2]; Dodge 13.
Languages: English (Native) (Native Language) [0].
Cultural Familiarities: Western [0].
Advantages: 360° Vision (Mutant, -10%) [23]; Absolute Direction [5]; Acute Vision 3 [6]; Alternate Identity (Illegal) [15]; Craftiness 2 [10]; Crushing Attack (Wind Funnel) 6d (Damage Limitation: No Wounding, -50%; Damage Modifier: Double Knockback, +20%; Increased 1/2D Range ×10, +15%; Increased Range: Line-of-Sight, +40%; Rapid Fire: RoF 2, +40%; Elemental: Air, -10%; Mutant, -10%) [44]; Cutting Attack (Wrist Blades) 3d (Armor Divisor (2), +50%; Gadget/Breakable: DR 10, SM -5, -20%; Gadget/Can Be Stolen: Forcibly Removed, -10%; Melee Attack: Destructive Parry, +10%; Melee Attack: Dual, +10%; Melee Attack: Reach C, -30%; Variable, +5%; Electronic, -30%) [18]; Damage Resistance (Wind Barrier) 50 (Force Field, +20%; Limited Defense: Physical/Kinetic Attacks, -20%; Requires Active Defense, -40%; Elemental: Air, -10%; Mutant, -10%) [100]; Enhanced Dodge 2 (Mutant, -10%) [27]; Enhanced Move (Air) 2 (Air Move 60/120 mph; Cosmic: Complete Maneuverability, +50%; Mutant, -10%) [56]; Enhanced Move (Ground) (2) (Ground Move 28/56 mph; Cosmic: Complete Maneuverability, +50%; Mutant, -10%) [56]; Enhanced Parry (Bare Hands) 2 (Mutant, -10%) [9]; Enhanced Time Sense (Mutant, -10%) [41]; Extra Attack 3 (Multi-Strike, +20%) [90]; Flight (Cosmic: Complete Maneuverability, +50%; Low Ceiling: 30 ft, -10%; Mutant, -10%) [52]; High Pain Threshold [10]; Walk on Liquid (Accessibility: When Using Enhanced Move (Ground) Only, -10%; Mutant, -10%) [12].
Perks: Air Jet [1].
Disadvantages: Enemy (Law Enforcement) (9) [-20]; Greed (9) [-22]; Kleptomania (12) [-15]; Overconfidence (9) [-7]; Social Stigma (Criminal Record) [-5].
Quirks: Chauvinistic [-1]; Devil's Advocate [-1]; Dual Identity [-1]; Inquisitive [-1]; Social [-1].
Skills: Area Knowledge (Chicago Metro Area) IQ+1 [2] – 12; Boxing (A) DX+1 [4] – 16; Computer Operation/TL8 (E) IQ+1 [2] – 12; Driving/TL8 (Automobile) (A) DX-1 [4] – 14; Escape (H) DX-1 [2] – 14; Fake! (WC) IQ+1 [36] – 12†; Fast-Draw (Shuriken) (E) DX+1 [1] – 16‡; First Aid/TL8 (Human) (E) IQ+0 [1] – 11; Guns/TL8 (Pistol) (E) DX+0 [1] – 15; Innate Attack (Beam) (E) DX+1 [2] – 16; Lockpicking/TL8 (A) IQ+1 [4] – 12; Move! (WC) DX+0 [24] – 15; Parry Missile Weapons (H) DX+1 [4] – 15; Search (A) Per+1 [4] – 12; Shadowing (A) IQ+3 [4] – 14*; Speed-Reading (A) IQ+1 [4] – 12; Stealth (A) DX+3 [4] – 18*; Throwing (A) DX+0 [2] – 15; Thrown Weapon (Shuriken) (E) DX+3 [8] – 18.
Starting Spending Money: $4,000 (20% of Starting Wealth)

* Includes +2 from Craftiness.
† Conditional +2 from Craftiness.
‡ Includes +1 from Enhanced Time Sense.

Role-Playing Notes:
Whirlwind is a con-man first, supervillain second, and approaches his capers with an eye on what will get him closest to his goal without revealing himself.

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:54 AM   #1693
Phantasm

YELLOWJACKET

Identity: Known to the authorities.
Legal Status: Citizen of the United States with a criminal record.
Other Aliases: "Yellow", "YJ",
Place of Birth: Unrevealed.
Marital Status: Single.
Known Relatives: None.
Group Affiliation: None.
Base of Operations: Chicago, Illinois, metro area.
History: Rita DeMara was a small-time cat burglar operating in the Chicago metro area who was constantly searching for her "big score". Little did she know when she broke into the home of Dr. Henry Pym that her life would change. Pym, secretly the adventurer Ant-Man, had been working on a suit which would give him increased capabilities in combat by technologically copying his partner the Wasp's powers (see Ant-Man; Wasp). DeMara stole this suit and decided to use it to commit other crimes; from the suit's color scheme, she took the name Yellowjacket.

Unknown to DeMara, the Wasp had witnessed her theft. Curious as to how the thief would use the suit, the Wasp waited until DeMara was in the middle of another crime before confronting her. During this fight, DeMara first used the suit to shrink down to the Wasp's size, but was psychologically unprepared for how different the world looked at that height. The Wasp knocked her out and used the suit's helmet to restore DeMara to her normal height before having her arrested. (Rita has since learned to adjust to her suit's size changes.)

For unknown reasons, DeMara was permitted by Pym to keep the suit and the Yellowjacket identity. (It is probable that he installed a GPS tracker in its circuitry to enable him to track her movements.) Yellowjacket has twice fought more the Wasp, escaping each time (although evidence indicates she may have let her escape). Even more recently, Yellowjacket was among those who gathered to face down the Zodiac when they erected a force dome around Manhattan, coming to the Wasp's assistance a few times during their scuffles (see Zodiac).
Height: 5' 5".
Weight: 115 lbs.
Eyes: Hazel.
Hair: Auburn.
Uniform: Yellow bodysuit with black briefs and black anti-graviton-generating "wings" on the shoulders, flared black gloves, flared black boots, black belt, black helmet with yellow trim with protective corrective lenses over the eyes and small antennae over the ears.
Strength Level: Rita DeMara possesses the normal human strength of a woman her age, height, and build who engages in regular toning exercise.
Known Superhuman Powers: None; it is not known yet if her body will adapt to generate her own Pym particles on her own.
Other Abilities: Rita DeMara is a skilled cat burglar.
Weapons and Paraphernalia: Yellowjacket's uniform utilizes Pym particles to enable her to change her size down to a half inch height. In addition, it is equipped with large "wings" over the shoulders which generate anti-gravitons enabling her to fly at speeds approaching 100 miles per hour. Her gloves are equipped with electric blasters she calls "stingers"; one blast from one of the stingers was shown to severely damage the side of a car. The stingers can be reduced in lethality to merely stun her opponent.

The suit's size-changing capabilities are controlled via the helmet. The Wasp was able to restore Yellowjacket to her normal height by removing her helmet and engaging its manual override controls while standing only a few feet away.

It is unknown whether the helmet contains circuitry enabling Rita to communicate with higher-level insects; given the suit's original designer, however, this seems likely. Her helmet's lenses are designed to not only correct her vision but are polarized to protect her against the glare of bright lights.
Limitations: Rita is near-sighted, requiring corrective lenses.

661 points
Attributes: ST 10 [0]; DX 13 [60]; IQ 11 [20]; HT 13 [30].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 1d-2/1d; BL 20 lbs.; HP 10 [0]; Will 11 [0]; Per 11 [0]; FP 13 [0]; Basic Speed 6.50 [0]; Basic Move 6 [0]; Basic Air Move 13 [0]; Dodge 10.
Languages: English (Native) (Native Language) [0].
Cultural Familiarities: Western [0].
Advantages: Acute Touch 2 [4]; Acute Vision 2 [4]; Affliction (Stingers) 7 (HT-6; Armor Divisor (2), +50%; Damage Modifier: Surge, +20%; Increased 1/2D Range ×5, +10%; Rapid Fire: RoF 6, +70%; Reduced Range ×1/2, -10%; Variable, +5%; Elemental: Electricity, -10%; Electronic, -30%) [144]; Appearance (Attractive) [4]; Burning Attack (Stingers) 7d (Armor Divisor (2), +50%; Damage Modifier: Surge, +20%; Increased 1/2D Range ×5, +10%; Rapid Fire: RoF 6, +70%; Reduced Range ×1/2, -10%; Variable, +5%; Elemental: Electricity, -10%; Electronic, -30%; Alternative Attack, ×1/5) [15]; Combat Reflexes [15]; Craftiness 3 [15]; Enhanced Move (Air) 2 (Superscience, -10%) [36]; Fit [5]; Flexibility [5]; Flight (Superscience, -10%) [36]; Hard to Subdue 1 [2]; High Pain Threshold [10]; Perfect Balance [15]; Shrinking 13 (Can Carry Objects: No Encumbrance, +10%; Full Damage, +100%; Full DR, +30%; Full HP, +30%; Reduced Time 3 (2 seconds), +60%; Superscience, -10%) [208].
Disadvantages: Bad Sight (Nearsighted) (Mitigator: Corrective Lenses, -60%) [-10]; Greed (12) [-15]; Guilt Complex [-5]; Impulsiveness (12) [-10]; Pacifism (Reluctant Killer) [-5]; Social Stigma (Criminal Record) [-5]; Wealth (Struggling) [-10].
Quirks: Congenial [-1]; Dual Identity [-1]; Insecure [-1]; Sunburns Easily [-1].
Skills: Acrobatics (H) DX+1 [4] – 14*; Acting (A) IQ+2 [1] – 13†; Aerobatics (H) DX+1 [4] – 14*; Brawling (E) DX+2 [4] – 15; Climbing (A) DX+4 [2] – 17*‡; Computer Operation/TL8 (E) IQ+0 [1] – 11; Electronics Operation/TL8 (Security) (A) IQ+1 [4] – 12; Electronics Operation/TL8 (Surveillance) (A) IQ+1 [4] – 12; Electronics Repair/TL8 (Security) (A) IQ+1 [4] – 12; Electronics Repair/TL8 (Surveillance) (A) IQ+1 [4] – 12; First Aid/TL8 (Human) (E) IQ+0 [1] – 11; Flight (A) HT+0 [2] – 13; Forced Entry (E) DX+1 [2] – 14; Innate Attack (Beam) (E) DX+3 [8] – 16; Judo (H) DX+1 [8] – 14; Jumping (E) DX+1 [2] – 14; Lip Reading (A) Per+1 [4] – 12; Lockpicking/TL8 (A) IQ+2 [8] – 13; Observation (A) Per+3 [4] – 14§; Photography/TL8 (A) IQ+1 [4] – 12; Running (A) HT+0 [2] – 13; Sex Appeal (Human) (A) HT+0 [1] – 13#; Shadowing (A) IQ+2 [1] – 13†; Smuggling (A) IQ+2 [8] – 13; Stealth (A) DX+3 [2] – 16†; Streetwise (A) IQ+1 [4] – 12; Throwing (A) DX+0 [2] – 13; Thrown Weapon (Knife) (E) DX+1 [2] – 14.
Starting Spending Money: $2,000 (20% of Starting Wealth).

* Includes +1 from Perfect Balance.
† Includes +3 from Craftiness.
‡ Includes +3 from Flexibility.
§ Includes +2 from Acute Vision.
# Includes +1 from Appearance.

Role-Playing Notes:
Rita is a thief, but is not really a villain at heart. On a few occasions she has even come to the assistance of others, often against her own better judgment.

Not just two in one week, but two in one day?! What nonsense is this? Seriously, though, I've had Rita here planned from the day I started work on Ant-Man's cast.

Now all I have left for Ant-Man's cast is Darren Cross, but I may end up leaving him be for a while. Whose cast and crew should I do next: Doctor Strange, Hulk, Iron Man, Spider-Woman, or Thor?

Last edited by Phantasm; 09-23-2022 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-11-2021, 12:42 PM   #1694
Kesendeja

I would love to see Doctor Strange's cast and crew done for GURPS.
Old 05-12-2021, 06:32 PM   #1695
Phantasm

I've had a few requests across various Discord servers for folks from Dr. Strange's corner of the universe, so I think I'll attempt to fill that request.

So, other than Dr. Strange himself, I have lined up: the Ancient One, Black Talon, Brother Voodoo, Clea, Dormammu, Dracula, D'Spayre, Eternity, Jen Kale and her mentor Dakihm the Enchanter, Kaluu, the Man-Thing, Ian McNee, Mephisto, Mordo, Nightmare, Satannish, Silver Dagger, Topaz, Umar, and Wong.

Is there anyone else I should add to the list? The number of adversaries seems low.

Old 05-12-2021, 09:11 PM   #1696
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
I've had a few requests across various Discord servers for folks from Dr. Strange's corner of the universe, so I think I'll attempt to fill that request.

So, other than Dr. Strange himself, I have lined up: the Ancient One, Black Talon, Brother Voodoo, Clea, Dormammu, Dracula, D'Spayre, Eternity, Jen Kale and her mentor Dakihm the Enchanter, Kaluu, the Man-Thing, Ian McNee, Mephisto, Mordo, Nightmare, Satannish, Silver Dagger, Topaz, Umar, and Wong.

Is there anyone else I should add to the list? The number of adversaries seems low.
He's not a Dr. Strange villain, but I would be quite happy for Carlos Cabrera (Gamecock) to be slotted in wherever and whenever you can.

His supervillain name just sounds like one of those "brilliant" ideas I get right before I fall asleep, then on the rare occasion I remember in the morning, wonder what on earth I was thinking. XD Though the big problem is... I don't know if there is enough information about him floating around the internet ether to do anything with him.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)

Last edited by Otaku; 05-13-2021 at 06:51 AM. Reason: typos XP
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 09:28 PM   #1697
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
He's not a Dr. Strange villain, but I would be quite happy for Carlos Cabrera (Gamecock) to be slotted in wherever and whenever you can.

His supervillain name just sounds like one of those "brilliant" ideas I get right before I fall asleep, then on the rare occasion I remember in the morning, wonder what on earth I was thinking. XD Though the big problem is... I don't know if there is enough information about him floating around the either to do anything with him.
I think I can slot in Gamecock over in either Iron Fist's or Spider-Woman's cast. (Maybe both.) I might even consider the discarded-by-the-bullpen idea that Gamecock and Black Talon are siblings. o/`

Old 05-19-2021, 06:04 PM   #1698
Phantasm

APPENDIX: MAGIC

Magic in the Marvel Universe is known to come in four basic methods, known as egocentric, ecocentric, exocentric, and necromantic.

Egocentric magic is the magic of the self, drawing upon personal energies. This magic operates primarily for the powers of the mind and soul: astral projection, telepathy, hypnosis, and mental illusions are a sampling of egocentric powers. Some mages who are of an extradimensional hybrid nature – such as Clea – and most demons are able to provide their own personal energies for magics more commonly performed using the other methods by mortal sorcerers.

Ecocentric magic is the magic of the universe, drawing upon ambient energies to perform more blatant feats of magic, including but not limited to manipulation of the four classical elements, forming eldritch bolts and shields, and similar effects. Most mystic talismans and relics that exist operate on universal energies.

Exocentric magic is the magic of the beyond, entreating extradimensional entities – often called principalities – for energy. Most principalities called upon have what are called "signature spells", unique spells which the principality empowers directly. Some principalities are entire extradimensional races (such as the Faltine and the Seraphim), but most are individuals on the same power as and straddle the line between gods and demons.

Necromantic magic, also known as "black magic", is the magic of death. This method of magic draws energy from the unwilling, often (but not always) by killing living beings to use their energies. This method of casting magic tends to have a corrupting influence on its practitioners, with those who rely primarily on black magic slowly losing their humanity unless steps are taken to purge themselves of this corruption on a regular basis.

------------

Sorcerers, such as Doctor Strange and his order, deal with six main Realms: Mind, Space, Time, Spirit, Energy, and Matter. These six Realms make up the cornerstones of the Multiverse, and dedicated practitioners can learn up to five tiers in those Realms. Lesser mystics often focus on narrower sub-realms. For instance, Gypsy magic, as practiced by Wanda Maximoff, relies on the Illusion, Luck, and Matter Realms. Nature-oriented mages often use the Nature Realm, or learn distinct Animal, Earth, Fire, Plant, and Weather Realms. Most of these practitioners only achieve the third tier, with a select few achieving the fourth or fifth. In all cases, a magician's maximum potential level in any Realm is dictated by his Magery level. Magery 0 tends to be innate, but all levels of Magery including Magery 0 are learnable advantages in the Marvel Universe.

The level of the Sub-Realms stack with those of the primary Realm, although the sorcerer does not need to have the primary Realm in order to have a Sub-Realm (in fact, it's usually pretty rare for a sorcerer to have both). For instance, a sorcerer could have Energy/3 and Fire/2, where Fire is a Sub-Realm of Energy; the sorcerer would have an effective Fire/5 because Fire is included in Energy. Note that the cap of Magery is still in force; with Magery 3, a sorcerer cannot have both Energy/2 and Fire/3 and expect them to stack at Fire/5, since Fire/5 exceeds his Magery.

In all cases, the sixth tier of a Realm is off-limits to all corporeal beings. Even such beings as the Olympian, Asgardian, and Heliopolitan gods are unable to achieve the sixth tier in any Realm and remain corporeal (see Asgardians; Olympian Gods). In essence, any being who achieves the sixth tier in a Realm automatically becomes the living embodiment of that Realm, and becomes a truly Cosmic being.

------------

Realm/1 spells use 0 energy, Realm/2 spells 1 energy, Realm/3 spells 2 energy, Realm/4 spells 5 energy, and Realm/5 spells 10 energy. It is possible to mix energy sources in a spell, and most sorcerers will always attempt to use the method that causes them to use the least amount of personal energy.

Egocentric magic focuses on the Mind and Spirit Realms and their sub-Realms, and is powered by the mage's own Fatigue Points (FP) and/or Energy Reserve (ER). (Quintessence Points/QP are used when utilizing The Fifth Attribute in Pyramid #3/120: Alternate GURPS V.) Mages who utilize their own energy for Realms other than those two are required to have the Extra Options Perk for each additional Realm.

Ecocentric magic utilizes the rules on Threshold Magic from pages 76 to 82 of GURPS Thaumatology, with the following setting switches and adjustments: The caster's Threshold starts at 30. Instead of the usual energy discount thresholds described in the Basic Set and GURPS Magic (one less energy at skill 15, another one less at skill 20, etc.), the caster can take a cumulative penalty to reduce the strain the spell puts on the environment, effectively reducing the tally cost by 1 per each -5 penalty to skill. Places of power (the Great Pyramids of Giza, Dr. Strange's Sanctum Sanctorum at 177A Bleeker Street in Manhattan, etc.) give a discount on the energy tally up to 50%. The Increased Threshold advantage (Thaumatology, p.*78) can be taken at the 1/level rate of a 4% increase in the Threshold. Recovery of the sorcerer's tally happens at the same speed as recovering FP or ER. And the Variable Energy Access advantage (Thaumatology, p.*79) is not available. Ecocentric magic deals primarily with the Energy, Matter, Space, and Time Realms, although ecocentric spells utilizing the Mind Realm are possible.

Exocentric magic requires a Reaction roll for each entity called upon in a casting unless the sorcerer has obtained a prior Reaction of Neutral or better from the entity in the past. If for any reason the sorcerer upsets or gains the enmity of the principality in question (such as Dr. Strange opposing Dormammu in the Dark Dimension after calling upon him for energy early in his career) and then attempts to again call upon the entity, all further Reaction rolls at at -10 until the sorcerer makes amends (this could be a roleplaying plot point!). If the Reaction roll for a casting is worse than Neutral, the sorcerer must invoke another friendlier entity or obtain the energy from some other source. The sorcerer must have Spirit/3 in order to call upon a principality for energy, but the spell costs a total of 1 energy to cast should the principalities invoked agree to provide energy.

Necromantic magic, like egocentric magic, uses Fatigue or an Energy Reserve (or Quintessence Points if using The Fifth Attribute). However, this energy comes from other living beings, usually unwillingly. Necromancers may prefer to kill their energy sources because the energy released at the time of death is the sum of the victim's Fatigue and Hit Points.

------------

Of note, there are various psychics – such as the Indian psychic Topaz – who can act as familiars to sorcerers, using their psychic talents to amplify or focus the spells of the sorcerer (see Topaz).

------------

In addition, there are a number of additional options which differ from the standard Realm Magic described in Thaumatology.

First, the maximum damage done is at the Realm level squared per round of build-up. Afflictions are resisted at HT or Will at a penalty equal to the Realm level squared minus one. For example, Realm/3 permits a 9d Energy or Matter attack, or a resisted Mind affliction at Will-8 (equal to 9 levels of the Affliction advantage with Malediction).

Range penalties are assessed using the Size and Speed/Range Table (Basic Set, p.*550) for most spells; information spells and most Mind, Spirit, or Time spells use the Long-Distance Modifiers table (Basic Set, p.*241), with Time treating "miles" as "days".

A spell does not need to use the sorcerer's full Realm level. For example, if a sorcerer has Time/5, he may choose to cast a Time/2 spell, at Time/2's energy cost.

Spells that use multiple Realms use the energy cost of the highest Realm used, plus 1 energy for each additional Realm in the spell.

Spells are single-target spells by default. It costs 1 additional energy to turn a spell into an area effect spell with a radius of 2 yards, and then 1 additional energy for each doubling of the radius.

Direct damage spells and weapons (mundane or conjured) can have an Armor Divisor added to them. It costs 1 energy to add an AD (2) to a spell or weapon, and then 1 additional energy for each additional level of Armor Divisor. Remember that the additional levels are (3), (5), (10), (100), and (∞); it costs 6 energy to make an attack that bypasses DR completely. If removing an armor divisor from energy weapons, each additional step again costs 1 additional energy per level; the progression here is (∞), (100), (10), (5), (3), (2), (1), (0.5), (0.2), and (0.1), starting with the weapon's initial armor divisor.

While many spells are instantaneous, some spells have ongoing effects instead; for instance, a hypnosis spell or a conjured waterfall. An ongoing spell lasts for one minute by default. For double the energy cost, the spell may last for an hour; for triple the energy cost, the spell may last a full day; and for ten times the energy cost, a spell can be made permanent.

(These changes are intended to provide more stable castings than Thaumatology provides, where variables such as duration, range, and area of effect are subject to the Realm skill's margin of success.)

(continued next post)

Old 05-19-2021, 06:05 PM   #1699
Phantasm

The Realms:

Energy: This far-reaching Realm includes all types of energy, including but not limited to cold, electricity, heat/fire, kinetic, light, radiation, and vibration.
Matter: This Realm deals with altering and creating matter in all forms. A sorcerer's own scientific knowledge does affect the Realm's use.
Mind: This far-reaching Realm deals with all aspects of intelligence and conscious thought, as well as subconscious desires.
Space: This Realm affects such things as movement and inertia, permitting such wide effects as levitation, telekinesis, teleportation, flight, and even dimensional travel. Combined with Mind, it permits clairsentience.
Spirit: This Realm deals with all aspects related to a being's soul or spirit. It can also be used to deal with spiritual entities of all levels.
Time: This Realm affects both the passage of time, including the ability to travel backwards in time, as well as precognition and psychometry.

Selected Sub-Realms:
Air: This sub-Realm of Energy enables the mage to manipulate the classical element of air.
Body: This sub-Realm of Matter deals solely with the manipulation of living (and dead) organic matter.
Dreams: This sub-Realm of either Mind or Spirit permits the sorcerer to travel into and affect a dreamer's dreams.
Earth: This sub-Realm of Energy enables the mage to manipulate the classical element of earth.
Fire: This sub-Realm of Energy enables the mage to manipulate the classical element of fire.
Illusion: This sub-Realm of Mind deals primarily with creating and dispelling illusions.
Lightning: This sub-Realm of Energy enables the mage to manipulate electricity in all forms.
Luck: Also called Probability, this Realm deals with manipulating probabilities in order to alter circumstances to make the improbable probable. This Realm is a sub-Realm of both Matter and Time; someone with both of those Realms doesn't need Luck.
Water: This sub-Realm of Energy enables the mage to manipulate the classical element of water.

As advantages, the Realms of Energy, Matter, Mind, Spirit, Space, and Time are all 20 points per level. Body, Fire, Illusion, Luck and all other Sub-Realms are 10 points per level, being essentially the parent Realm with a Specialized (-50%) limitation on it.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
– Arthur C. Clarke

Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from SCIENCE!
– Phil and Kaja Foglio

Realm Levels

Level 1: Detection and Measurement.
Level 2: Basic Control and Diversion.
Level 3: Command and Create.
Level 4: Authority.
Level 5: Near Complete Power.
Level 6: PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER! (itty bitty living space)

Old 05-19-2021, 06:18 PM   #1700
Phantasm

As the last two posts indicate, I'll be diving into Dr. Strange's corner of the Reboot universe next. I've got the usual suspects lined up: Dr. Strange, Ancient One, Dormammu, Umar, Clea, Nightmare, Kaluu, Mephisto, Mordo, Topaz, and Wong, as well as Black Talon, Brother Voodoo, Jennifer Kale, D'Spayre, Dakimh, and the Man-Thing. Ideas for who else to toss into the mix?

I'll probably also give entries for Chthon, Eternity, Gaea, Oshtur, and Set, though without stats due to their very natures.

I'll also eventually compile a bunch of the big-name spells (Crimson Bands of Cyttorak, Winds of Watoomb, Flames of the Faltine, etc.) with indication of what they are typically capable of.

Tags
avengers, captain america, captain marvel, chandley, character creation, chargen, iron man, marvel, phantasm, supers, thor, x-men