Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-16-2018, 09:09 PM   #121
trooper6

Default Re: Virtual Table Top (VTT) support

The streaming world is dominated by Roll20 and I, for one, would like expanded GURPS support in Roll20.

On the topic of Fantasy Grounds...has Fantasy Grounds Unity been released yet?
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:48 AM   #122
Gigermann

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
On the topic of Fantasy Grounds...has Fantasy Grounds Unity been released yet?
Not as of yet
Gigermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:02 AM   #123
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by rerednaw View Post
I have been using VTT since rpg.net.
Oh. my gosh. I forgot about rpg.net! That, and OpenRPG, and I think something else, and IRC with chatbots and all kinds of hinkey solutions.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:07 PM   #124
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
The streaming world is dominated by Roll20 and I, for one, would like expanded GURPS support in Roll20.
That's one of the reasons I like TableTop Sim so much: it's more visually interesting.

Hand of Bobb's Zombie game in TableTop Sim. Link is to screen shot of TableTop Sim.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:28 AM   #125
benz72

FWIW=0

My dream solution would look something like:

Superusers of various systems generate their best guess at the support they would like to see in each program and invite a SJG rep with some approval authority to play a game in that system. The rep gets to review and comment on quality, consistency and policy compliance and then, after revision, the plug-in/frame is released for beta to the groups those superusers normally play with for refinement.
If there needs to be a 'final approval' stage before release then re-host another game with the SJG crew and release the product into the wild.

Dare to dream.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:59 PM   #126
Jaxilon

Firstly, I have no disrespectful feelings for anyone here and I'm not looking for an argument, I'm merely curious as to where things stand at this point.

I am a bit disappointed to read so much bickering about what VTT is better than another. I'm always willing to hear what others find helpful but the argument as to which is best has occurred so many times on other forums. As most of us did, I researched and selected the VTT I felt would work for me and my players. Necessary because I physically moved far away.

The point of this thread is we are interested in SJG supporting the VTT industry so we can play using our favorite rule set with friends anywhere in the world and have some official support while doing it. Currently, if you want anything specifically for GURPS you need to build it yourself for the VTT or use an unofficial mod because SJG hasn't given a real stamp of approval. If you then wanted to share what you created you could possibly get into trouble if you cross a line. I don't even know what exactly that line is but I understand it exists.

I don't pretend to know the details that go into this approval process but I do know that many other game systems have embraced the VTT technology and folks are able to purchase adventures and supplements as well as all sorts of things to support their games. It would be awesome to see links to GURPS stuff on the splash pages of my VTT and it's forums. One would think there is an advertising advantage to that.

I'm not planning to leave GURPS over this and I can play as things are now but I have wondered if it might be easier if I used a system with more support. My life is very busy and anything making it easier for me to get together with my friends to play online would be extremely welcomed. I am happy with my VTT but I think official support would be better.

So is there any sort of progress happening or is it a road so full of trouble that Wizards and all the other companies have somehow shot themselves in the foot without realizing it?

I think all of us love GCA and that didn't turn out to bad as far as I can tell.

In any event SJG, thanks for the all the memories. I look forward to having many more even if I'm not able to meet with my players face to face around a real table.
Jaxilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:11 PM   #127
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
Firstly, I have no disrespectful feelings for anyone here and I'm not looking for an argument, I'm merely curious as to where things stand at this point.
Not heard anything in a while but FG seems to still be going strong
http://gurps4efg.idea.informer.com/
Roanake (IIRC) started the ball rolling by talking to SJG and showing some product. I suspect any official announcement is waiting for the Unity release since a new version may have bugs working with prior software which could reflect poorly on SJG and GURPS, especially if thats someones first introduction.

Roll20 is likely to need something similar,a dedicated fan to do the work and work directly with SJG rather than through the forums. And if Roll20 requires they have the rights to content that is probably a deal breaker.
Remember GURPS is just a tiny part of SJGs market share and staff so its more a strain for them to put much time into this and would possibly decease new content coming out. So if you want more VTT support expect it from fans/volunteers.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:29 AM   #128
Celjabba

Fantasy Ground October Newsletter have some stats.
Over the last 12 months they recorded 5981 "usage" with the Gurps ruleset. About 1% of the total.
For a non-official ruleset with no supplements/advertisement, It is already impressive imho.

Last edited by Celjabba; 10-22-2018 at 08:54 AM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:46 AM   #129
Gigermann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
… but I have wondered if it might be easier if I used a system with more support.
Folks have been using both Fantasy Grounds and Roll20 for a long time now without official support. Being officially supported won't really change anything, functionally, in the long term, so long as SJG never sends a cease-and-desist demand (which seems unlikely).
Gigermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 04:23 PM   #130
Drone 5

To me, and I am using Roll20 as an example., official support would include things like;
1. An officially designed and supported character sheet.
2. Export from GCA and Import into said character sheet.
3. An official Compendium (not that high on my priority list though), or allow personal compendiums to be shared with other.
4. Official influence by SJG with Roll20 to make their product support GURPS, and other hex based games, better.
Just my opinion is all.

Tags
fantasy grounds, roll20, virtual tabletop, vtt