Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-24-2014, 06:38 PM   #11
MetaRob

Default Re: Brigadoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
It's in my playtest copy of DISCWORLD 2nd ed.
Yes! It's in the copy I bought, too, page 14: "Brigadoons are areas in which the structure of reality is weak, and the location (sometimes complete with buildings and population) slips in and out of local existence."

Thank you all for your suggestions; I was starting to doubt my sanity. I read Time Travel and The Marches and have spent time on TVTropes.org, so it easily could have been one of those.

Okay, so here's what's going on in my head. Under Planetary Spheres in GURPS Cabal, it's mentioned that planetary spheres have influence over other realms. Specifically, Venus has a connection with Atlantis. Venus revolves around the sun every 225 days. I'm thinking of making Atlantis a kind of 3-way brigadoon. Each of the example settings detailed in GURPS Atlantis, The Orichalcum Age, The Heirs of Minos, and Lords Of The Deep, will exist, but only for 75 days (Venus' 225 day orbit divided by 3; each Atlantean reality will make an appearance based upon where Venus is in its orbit).
Old 10-24-2014, 09:41 PM   #12
Flyndaran
Untagged

Where do the Brigadoons go when they fade out of connection with setting earth? Do they cease to exist, go somewhere else, or hide in impenetrable mists?
If I were playing, that's the first thing I would ask a resident.
At least with such a short cycle, inhabitants that somehow get caught outside when it shifts have a chance of returning home.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:07 AM   #13
Ashtagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Where do the Brigadoons go when they fade out of connection with setting earth? Do they cease to exist, go somewhere else, or hide in impenetrable mists?
If I were playing, that's the first thing I would ask a resident.
At least with such a short cycle, inhabitants that somehow get caught outside when it shifts have a chance of returning home.
A better question to ask first is where do they think the rest of the world "goes". From their part of view, the rest of the world might instantaneously vanish to be replaced by something that looks similar by advanced by a few weeks or a hundred years. Or it might be replaced by an impenetrable mist, a wall of force where they can see out by no one can see in (and anyone outside walking "in" passes through without noticing anything unusual), an actual solid wall, or even a literal nothingness. And while the Brigadoon is "away", time might not pass at the same rate in any case (Lexx's Brigadoon had its inhabitants lives extended to effective immortality).
Ashtagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:59 AM   #14
MetaRob

Quote:
that's the first thing I would ask a resident.
Lol, good point. That's the first thing I'd ask as a resident. Hmm ... I didn't think about it, but it could have even more cool possibilities. A party would arrive in Atlantis from the ocean, so if they were caught in Venus' transition, they wouldn't notice the world around them change until after they left. Maybe the three Atlantises will shift through Hyborea (GURPS Atlantis p. 18) and The Marches of In Nomine's Ethereal Realm (GURPS Atlantis p. 19).
Old 10-25-2014, 08:48 AM   #15
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Where do the Brigadoons go when they fade out of connection with setting earth?
The Phantom Zone, or someplace like it, I always figured.

In genre, it seems impolite to ask.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:54 AM   #16
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
where do they think the rest of the world "goes".
Or it might simply not occur to any of them at all. It's entirely natural that the world is just their village. It's always been that way (or so it seems when they're "phased out").

If the village were large enough to have someone with a philosophical bent, that person might (might) wonder why there isn't more to the universe, with about as much impact on the day-to-day thought of the other villagers as has real-world speculations about infinite numbers of bubble universes in a multiverse or all Everett's other many worlds.

But it's also fairly traditional for the magically enchanted not to realize it's an enchantment, as obvious as that might seem to outsiders.

Or they just pause. Where do Star Trek holodeck characters think the rest of the world goes when the program ends?

Last edited by Anaraxes; 10-26-2014 at 04:45 AM.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 01:34 PM   #17
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Or they just pause.
That's what Brigadoon did. Each of its days was in a different century. In fact I think the play is set on only the second and third days of the miracle, as far as the villagers are concerned.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 10-25-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 01:40 PM   #18
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaRob View Post
It's named after the movie, Brigadoon, of course.
Why "of course"? Is there something about the movie version that's different from the stage musical that fits this concept better (I've never seen a movie version; so I honestly don't know)?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:51 PM   #19
MetaRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Why "of course"? Is there something about the movie version that's different from the stage musical that fits this concept better (I've never seen a movie version; so I honestly don't know)?
I actually didn't know about the stage musical until I looked it up on Wikipedia. The movie was one of my parents' favorites.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:19 PM   #20
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
That's what Brigadoon did. Each of its days was in a different century. In fact I think the play is set on only the second and third days of the miracle, as far as the villagers are concerned.
Yes, this is also the case when it is handled as a curse from Hephaestus in an episode of HERCULES the legendary journeys. 50 year later, the current priest of Heph goes to he village to see if they are ready to be good and pious again. The villagers are skeptical, because a completely different man had given them the same speech just that morning. The priest fruitlessly explains to them that was his father and they had been cursed for 50 years.....really, this has to be one of the lamest curses and/or blessings ever.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternate earths, atlantis, brigadoon, infinite worlds, time travel