Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-02-2015, 12:17 PM   #1
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default GURPS Zombies: Day One

Rahr grahr argh gragh raaagh?
Guugh aaargh grrr raghgrah RAHR gragh
Braaains ungh grag more braaains
— A retort
Like a hungry ghoul walking day and night to find sweet, sweet flesh, GURPS Zombies covers a lot of ground. Usually that's a blessing – usually, but sometimes that kitchen-sink approach is a curse that turns the overworked GM into the biggest zombie of all. Infected mingle with undead, runners with shamblers, and supernatural with superscience, turning your brain (mmm . . .) to mush.

GURPS Zombies: Day One brings relief in the form of eight campaign seeds to help you get started. Each one filters out everything irrelevant to a particular type of zombie story, pointing you at just the parts of Zombies (and other GURPS supplements!) you need to run a game with a specific flavor, be that the umami taste of brains, the herbal essence of Datura, or the chemical tang of super-soldier serum. While it doesn't shy from providing details, it doesn't over-prescribe: You pick the town, nation, or planet, and then Day One blights it with zeds. You set the dials on the PCs' power level, abilities, and gear, and then Day One helps work out the implications. The idea is to fill your brain (mmm . . .) with sinister plots and to keep players who buy the supplement from knowing exactly what to expect – not to turn anyone into a mindless slave to our ideas.

Already running a campaign? Day One still has lots to offer! It includes something for every genre: action, conspiracy/weirdness, fantasy, horror, post-apocalypse, science fiction, and even supers. It spans tech levels, from collapsed societies and quasi-medieval lands, through modern times, to the not-so-distant future, and it tosses in mad-science stylings as well. Almost everything here could be a future development or a chilling discovery in a game that was zombie-free – until now.

And of course we think the backgrounds themselves are amusing in their own right. Any of them could be blown out into a full-fledged worldbook. They're certainly worth a read, especially if you learn that your GM already has a copy . . .

Store Link: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG37-1683
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:33 PM   #2
Nymdok

Default Re: GURPS Zombies: Day One

Ownz it!

I am reading it now...more to follow!

Thanks so much for this!

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:16 PM   #3
Nymdok

Allright Folks, Just finished it, heres a Quick Functional Review :

GURPS Zombies: Day One is in short, a worked example setting/campaign seed book. If you already own GURPS Zombies turn to page 137. Read that. If you think 'Wow this would be cool but seems like a lot of work' get this book.

I dont think its obvious at first glance HOW worked the examples are, but they are excellently done.

What I like about them in particular:
  • General starting and ending point range
  • General Begining-End Campaign story arc that can sustain VAST amounts of adventures in each.
  • Homework Section for telling GMs Specifically what they need to do to get it up and running.
  • Literal Page Callouts to Zombies and other supplements for Rules.
  • Specific Intersect Points between this work and others (DF, MF, Action, Supers, etc)
  • Specifically calls out Rules to Avoid
If your running a Zombie Game already, you should already own this book and be reading it to harvest it for ideas and new directions for your campaign.

If you're one of the people that worries about campaign prep. This book is custom made for you.

If you're one of the people that complains that GURPS doesn't have enough premade adventures, this book, combined with GURPS Zombies, is AT LEAST the 80% solution (For some of the Campaigns its prolly closer to 90%).

Nymdok

p.s. I am a notorious PIMP for the Zombie Genre, especially in GURPS, I admit this freely. Thats not the point. The architecture of the book itself is so amazingly functional, well laid out and practically useful that it appears to make Adventures almost trivialy easy to write. Thats what I'm on about. Thats what makes this such an impressive work. And I love Brains.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:37 PM   #4
GM Joe

How many pages is it?

(I wish more Warehouse23 entries included that info.)
Old 04-02-2015, 02:52 PM   #5
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Joe View Post
How many pages is it?

(I wish more Warehouse23 entries included that info.)
56 . . . but for full information, always click on the preview PDF. That way, not only do you see how many pages it is, you get the full Table of Contents, Introduction, Index, and a few sample pages so you can get a feel for the actual content.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:52 PM   #6
Steven Marsh

It's 56 pages.

BTW, if you're ever looking for that info, the New Products page lists it for items (as do individual item pages). And if you're ever looking for more detailed info for what's inside, the free preview has the full Table of Contents and index.

[EDIT: NINJA'D!!!]
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:53 PM   #7
Nymdok

It does. Look in the table of contents that normally comes with the preview.

Its right at 55 pages.

Nymdok

[EDIT: Also Ninja'd...you win this round feline...NEXT TIME!!]
Old 04-02-2015, 03:06 PM   #8
GM Joe

Re: Preview

Oh! Duh.

Thanks! :)
Old 04-02-2015, 04:28 PM   #9
Anders

My favorite zombie scenario is the quiz broadcast from Mitchell and Webb.

Edit: In the Necromancer King scenario... will dead animals re-animate? And will a zombie who has been reduced to -5xHP re-animate?

Last edited by Anders; 04-02-2015 at 04:49 PM.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:38 PM   #10
GM Joe

I bought the supplement and read the Intro as well as the intro to each chapter. Great stuff!

I'm still undecided which (if any) of them to use for running an iZombie-inspired scenario or two, though.

Tags
zombies, zombies: day one