Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-24-2014, 09:08 AM   #21
Gold & Appel Inc

Default Re: Zombie Killing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneRonin View Post
I'll probably go with something like that. Brain shots aren't going to be the ONLY way to kill zombies, but it's going to be the most certain way to do it.

I just want to avoid "basic HP depletion from torso attacks" being a viable method.
The thing I like about the Unliving + No Vitals build is that it makes death by torso attrition really inconvenient to do with guns, which is not what I'm after, but still relatively easy to do with explosives, large vehicular collisions or anything else that can crush the torso, setting the entire torso on fire, etc, which are all awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTraynor View Post
As far as baseball bats go, though, I wouldn't give a "Combat Sport" level. Using a baseball bat as the sport of baseball intends you to do so means a two-handed grip that significantly shortens your range. This is not a good thing.
I allow Sport (Baseball) for combat batting in realistic games with the addition of a 1-pt Skill Sub Perk. The standard baseball bat grip is specifically called out as what using Defensive Grip with a bat-like object looks like in the MA Defensive Grip description, and you could restrict users to that specific grip to gain the benefit of the Perk if you want to be even more realistic than that.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 09:25 AM   #22
TheOneRonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
All-Out Telegraphic Attacks to the skull are at Skill-1. Evaluate for a few seconds and you can get to Skill+2 or Skill+3. Against a DX-4 default, that is indeed DX-1.
I was thinking using Sport (Baseball) which is an Average skill, and one point it means you use the skill at DX -1.

Would you need to eat a -4 default penalty even though you have the skill? A -2 for using a sport in combat is something I could see...but -4 sounds really steep.

Most Melee Weapon skills default to DX-6, so with that, your Telegraphic AoA(D) Skull shots are going to be DX -5 without any Evaluates. Even 3 Evaluates only help out a little if you are DX 10 (net skill of 8).

It gets better with an Easy skill like Knife. Though if you are using a reach 1 weapon, you should have more chances to try that Skull shot before the zombie gets into CC.

One of the net benefits with this is the capabilities between non-trained folks and those with points in a melee weapon skill are going to be VERY apparent from the start. The melee characters will be far, far, far better at dispatching zombies than their non-skilled buddies.
TheOneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 09:29 AM   #23
TheOneRonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
The thing I like about the Unliving + No Vitals build is that it makes death by torso attrition really inconvenient to do with guns, which is not what I'm after, but still relatively easy to do with explosives, large vehicular collisions or anything else that can crush the torso, setting the entire torso on fire, etc, which are all awesome.
Agreed, especially since "scary, but maximum level of awesome" is what I'm shooting for.
TheOneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 09:43 AM   #24
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Agreed, especially since "scary, but maximum level of awesome" is what I'm shooting for.
One thing that gurps can sometimes struggle with is 'death of a thousand (read 20) cuts'. To avoid that Its possible to use this system.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 09:54 AM   #25
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
I generally try to make my Halloween zombie games (which generally happen in varying genres, but along the consistent theme "Bare-Handed Zombie Cull 20XX!") as much like a heavy metal video as possible, but the last one was more like 2001: A Space Odyssey than anything. Y'know, only with zombies. I used Homogenous for a similar effect to similar advantage in my Christmas "Claymation NATO Superspies Assassinate Claymation Commie Mastermind Bond Villain Santa" game, where guns were pretty much useless but flamethrowers, hand grenades, and martial arts were just as kickass as normal.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 03:34 PM   #26
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
I generally try to make my Halloween zombie games (which generally happen in varying genres, but along the consistent theme "Bare-Handed Zombie Cull 20XX!") as much like a heavy metal video as possible, but the last one was more like 2001: A Space Odyssey than anything. Y'know, only with zombies. I used Homogenous for a similar effect to similar advantage in my Christmas "Claymation NATO Superspies Assassinate Claymation Commie Mastermind Bond Villain Santa" game, where guns were pretty much useless but flamethrowers, hand grenades, and martial arts were just as kickass as normal.
Claymation game? Really?
Old 12-25-2014, 02:01 AM   #27
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
All-Out Telegraphic Attacks to the skull are at Skill-1. Evaluate for a few seconds and you can get to Skill+2 or Skill+3. Against a DX-4 default, that is indeed DX-1.
hang on skull is -7*, AoA(D) is +4 and Telegraphed attack is +4 so shouldn't that be net Skill +1 (before evaluates).

That said axe/mace (which is going to be most weapons), is average so defaults at DX-5, so even with 3 evaluates you end up at the same place DX-1 (DX-5-7+3+4+4)

That 1st CP in axe/mace skill is going to be a priority here, You go from over all DX-1 to DX+3!

Although for all those ex little leaguers out there GURPS Zombies does allow a two handed baseball bat swing at full Sports skill (and +1 damage)!

Anyway merry christmas, etc

*which brings up another point, attacks from behind will be a good idea, tying into the stuff I posted earlier
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 02:26 AM   #28
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

I should remind that Evaluate doesn't stack with Telegraphic Attack, so against zombies who always All-Out Attack, there's no point in Evaluating unless you have some non-RAW Perks.
Old 12-25-2014, 03:11 AM   #29
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
I should remind that Evaluate doesn't stack with Telegraphic Attack, so against zombies who always All-Out Attack, there's no point in Evaluating unless you have some non-RAW Perks.
Huh, no it doesn't you're right!

Wonder why, I can't think of a compelling reason (beyond the possibility of getting +11* with AoA:D, but you pay for it with the set up) . I've always stacked it in my games and not had issues.

Still I see your non-RAW perks on this.

Either way I'd allow it for inexperienced zombie survivors here, in the spirit of genre emulation and leveraging situational advantage to compensate for lack of skill and skull hits

*too many eye strikes? For me the +3 evaluates is only the icing on the +8 cake here, but +3 is +3.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 03:16 AM   #30
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
Huh, no it doesn't you're right!

Wonder why, I can't think of a compelling reason (beyond the possibility of getting +11* with AoA:D, but you pay for it with the set up) . I've always stacked it in my games and not had issues.

Still I see your non-RAW perks on this.

Either way I'd allow it for inexperienced zombie survivors here, in the spirit of genre emulation and leveraging situational advantage to compensate for lack of skill and skull hits

*too many eye strikes? For me the +3 evaluates is only the icing on the +8 cake here, but +3 is +3.
In general, it shouldn't be possible to get more than +10 under the absolute best non-combat conditions against a stationary target (e.g. shooting a target using AoA:D in a well-lit range set at a well-known position and distance). Being able to get +11 under combat conditions, even with drawbacks, seems wrong compared to that.

Tags
telegraphic evaluate, uppercut, zombies