Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 03-01-2016, 10:19 AM   #1
Abelhawk

Default Epic Munchkin questions

1) In Epic Munchkin Pathfinder, the Pathfinder's epic ability is to turn over three cards, keep one, discard another, and kick down the door to encounter another. However, does this count as only kicking down the door once for the general Epic Munchkin rules? In other words, does an Epic Pathfinder do this whole routine twice every single turn?

While I'm here, in regular Epic Munchkin, it says that an Orc can immediately eat any level 1 monster it encounters to gain a level. But wouldn't it gain 2 levels, since by level 10, it is now beating a monster by more than 10 (provided it has even 1 piece of gear, which is likely at this point)?

Mainly I just ask because these rules seem to directly interfere with Epic Munchkin rules normally. They are written as if the abilities are standalone, but they are more overpowered naturally when applied to the general Epic rules.
Abelhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:30 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Epic Munchkin questions

The Pathfinder ability doesn't say it the way you've phrased it. You take the top three Door cards, discard one, put one in your hand, and put the other back on the top of the deck. Then you would kick open the door as normal. So, you know one of the two cards you're about to turn over, but that's it.

As for the Orc question: No. You can instantly kill a Level 1 Monster with nothing to stop you, or you can try to fight it to potentially get extra levels and Treasure, but then other people can do whatever they can to try to stop you. The Orc will not get 2 Levels for killing a Level 1 Monster that way, even if the Orc's combat strength is 12 or greater (the required combat strength to beat a Level 1 Monster by 11, which is the lowest value one can win "by more than 10").
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:23 AM   #3
Abelhawk

Ohhkay, I was misunderstanding the Pathfinder one. I'm glad you phrased it that way on the card, because that makes much more sense.

As for the Orc, does that mean that the Epic ability overrides his other ability to beat enemies by more than 10 and gain an extra level? Or is there a "kill" vs. "defeat" terminology I'm missing here? (I don't have the cards with me)

Either way, let me know if this is how it works:

An Epic Orc, level 12, kicks down the door and encounters a Level 1 Goldfish. Either he can:
  1. Eat the enemy and gain 1 Level
  2. Fight the enemy and possibly gain 2 Levels
Old 03-01-2016, 01:34 PM   #4
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelhawk View Post
Ohhkay, I was misunderstanding the Pathfinder one. I'm glad you phrased it that way on the card, because that makes much more sense.
Just to be clear, the Epic Pathfinder Faction's Keep Some Secrets to Yourself ability essentially modifies the Pathfinder Faction's special ability, Lay Bare the Secret. If you look at the Epic Munchkin rules, the ability is marked with an asterisk, which indicates (as noted on the bottom of the page) that the ability replaces or modifies an existing one.

Quote:
As for the Orc, does that mean that the Epic ability overrides his other ability to beat enemies by more than 10 and gain an extra level? Or is there a "kill" vs. "defeat" terminology I'm missing here? (I don't have the cards with me)
It doesn't override it completely, as the Orc can still use it. However, both abilities can't be used for the same Monster. Interestingly enough, you could use it to kill one Monster, and then the other in killing a second Monster in the same combat. An example of that is an Epic Orc with a combat Strength of 20 kicks open the door finding two Monsters, a Level 1 and a Level 9. He could face both Monsters and get 2 Levels, or use Munchkin Munch to get 1 Level from the Level 1 (which no one could stop), then get 2 Levels by killing the Level 9 by 11. Of course, the other players might have something to say about it, but that's the basics.

Quote:
Either way, let me know if this is how it works:

An Epic Orc, level 12, kicks down the door and encounters a Level 1 Goldfish. Either he can:
  1. Eat the enemy and gain 1 Level
  2. Fight the enemy and possibly gain 2 Levels
That's correct. However, remember that combat strength is Level plus any bonuses, so a Level 10 Orc with +2 in bonuses would have the eligibility of getting the bonus level against a Level 1 Monster. Of course, if someone adds some bonuses to the Monster, the bonus level is off the table unless the Orc can add enough to make the difference big enough again.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 03-03-2016 at 12:00 PM.
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:31 AM   #5
Abelhawk

Got it. I think. The next time I play an Epic Orc I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out. And yeah, by Level 12 I guess I meant at least Level 10 but with strength 12 overall. Thanks for the clarification!

Tags
epic, pathfinder