Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-03-2011, 08:42 PM   #521
Humabout

Default Re: GURPS Monster Hunters: what will you do with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
But wouldn't that be just a big list that looks like-

Skill!: Skill, Skill, Skill, Skill, Skill, Skill, Skill, Skill, Skill, Skill, Skill, Skill
Skill!: Skill, Skill, Skill, Skill, Skill, Skill, Skill, Skill, Skill, Skill

There's not been much flavour text or extra crunch associated with them that would make it worth putting in a book worth money.

On the other hand, Talents look kinda similar and dry, so there might be enough in a combined Talents/Wildcards book to make it worth printing.
You could say something similar about perks, but Power-Ups 2 is pretty darned useful. That said, a combination Talent/Wildcard book actually sounds pretty solid. The two really are related - one being a cinematic version of the other. Tack on all the WC rules from around he various books, and it'd be worth the buy.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:14 PM   #522
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
You could say something similar about perks, but Power-Ups 2 is pretty darned useful. That said, a combination Talent/Wildcard book actually sounds pretty solid. The two really are related - one being a cinematic version of the other. Tack on all the WC rules from around he various books, and it'd be worth the buy.
Perks at least have a block of rule and descriptive text for each one. You'd have to add that for Talents and Wildcards, and Talents at least seem to be fairly genre-related, like Templates, so they'd be better placed in the appropriate sourcebooks.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:20 PM   #523
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Perks at least have a block of rule and descriptive text for each one. You'd have to add that for Talents and Wildcards, and Talents at least seem to be fairly genre-related, like Templates, so they'd be better placed in the appropriate sourcebooks.
Maybe some acompanying rules and examples. Maybe it will be really short and cheap... more like a play aid than a book.

Anyway they are both on the list

Then again if they are still on the wish list it is unlikely they would be coming out any time soon.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:45 AM   #524
griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I sort of thought this was pretty official myself in this thread
That is what I want but isn't apparent in the rules. I'd like to see it explicitly stated in a published book or PDF. Power Ups: Wildcard! Skills (or whatever the proposed title) makes the most sense as where this could be stated in a future general PDF.

Thanks for the reference. The thread was misnamed and I didn't pick it up in my search (or at least I didn't think it came up).
griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:48 AM   #525
griffin

Quote:
I could definitely see buying a combined Talent and Wildcard! book. It would be longer and more expensive but cover more items. Of course, I'd buy them separately as well though.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:05 AM   #526
griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Yes, at the beginning of Chapter 1: Monster Hunter Templates. I felt that it was important to establish a clear "feel" for this series, so vignettes are a key part of it.
Argh! Everything you say just makes me want the PDFs more. The anticipation is killing me!

Quote:
Not sure how many vignettes to leak, since a few of them make more sense in context than they do on their own . . . but there'll definitely be more leaks as we wait.
That'd be great! It will help with the wait.

Quote:
I'll let you know what I think whenever I get to see the artwork myself. :)
Thanks. I assume it's all recycled art mainly stuff from old GURPS 3 books - probably from Black Ops, Warehouse 23, Warriors, Wizards, etc.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #527
Not another shrubbery

Default [OT] Wish list stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba
Maybe some acompanying rules and examples. Maybe it will be really short and cheap... more like a play aid than a book.

Anyway they are both on the list

Then again if they are still on the wish list it is unlikely they would be coming out any time soon.
Actually, a treatise on Hobby/Professional/Expert Skills looks to me like it would be more helpful than ones on Talents or Wildcards.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:41 AM   #528
Humabout

Still, I am wondering just what the great P. Kitty did with Wildcard skills to enhance their utility.

I'm also starting to wonder just what he Fnorded from the Witch.... Perhaps Realms Magic based on decans (each decan governs and is represented by a Realm)?

With the apparent promise of Path/Book Magic, I could totally see Decanic modifiers getting in on the action. Tying that in with realms would give magic in more unified feel across niches. Witches would simply have greater mastery over the decans.

Another observation that makes me giddy with joy: It already looks like we get Spirit Vessels from the Crusader.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:04 PM   #529
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
I'm also starting to wonder just what he Fnorded from the Witch.... Perhaps Realms Magic based on decans (each decan governs and is represented by a Realm)?
I doubt that it is tied to any specific tradition, since it's a generic template.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:56 PM   #530
PK

Since everyone is speculating on the magic chapter, here's the vignette from Chapter 3 of Monster Hunters 1: Champions. (And since it technically includes an axe, it fulfills two requests! Well, kinda . . .)
“How close are you?”

Brad ignored her and continued to breathe and concentrate, the energy around and within him slowly taking shape. As he sat in his makeshift spirit-circle, he willed the light to flee from his body, the sound to hide from his footsteps, and his scent to gather at the small of his back, unable to escape.

“We have time, Danielle. The zombies don’t know we’re here. Let him do his thing.”

The forces were now bound to his will. With a mental push, he expanded the circle of energy, encompassing his teammates. His gift was their gift. They shall not be seen. The energy pulsed through his mind and was gone.

“Holy . . . did you do that?” Scott asked.

Brad stood up. “Yeah, it’s a cloaking spell. We’re not invisible or anything, but zombies are pretty stupid – this should give us the upper hand, if we’re careful.”

The team moved quickly into the sewer, taking care to avoid splashing and to stay in the dark. Zombie after zombie fell, to blade and silenced bullet, as the champions quietly cleared the tunnels. Then it happened – bad luck. A piece of walkway crumbled, plunging Scott and Danielle into the water. Up ahead, two zombies turned and raced toward the remaining members.

Everett readied his axe and charged into the first undead horror, cleaving it in two, but the second zombie managed to leap past him. Scott pulled his pistol out of the water, but before he could shoot, Brad grabbed a pendant around his neck and smashed it against the wall. The creature stopped and staggered, then dropped to the ground as flames erupted from its mouth and eyes.

Everyone caught their breath. Everett turned and quirked an eyebrow. “I thought you said magic took a while,”

“Usually, yeah. But sometimes you’ve, um . . . gotta give yourself some shortcuts.”

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monster hunters