Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-26-2008, 01:12 PM   #191
mook

Default Re: Examples of 4e Combat

I've updated the Ranged Example Four PDF to match the online version; I also included the Directory page and the FAQ in the bundled .zip file of PDFs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole
I'll need to look in High Tech and Basic, but doesn't our shooter need to take a second to work the bolt on his rifle? RoF is 1, so it's not semi-auto (or else it would be 3~). Shots is 4+1, but that only accounts for the magazine size.

I think Artie has to take a Ready action to work the bolt.
I suspect this is additional detail from High-Tech - the Sniper Rifle as listed on B279 doesn't reference any notes, and there is another rifle specifically named 'Bolt-Action Rifle' in the table, so I think I'll leave it as-is.
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:56 PM   #192
StormCrow42

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole
I'll need to look in High Tech and Basic, but doesn't our shooter need to take a second to work the bolt on his rifle? RoF is 1, so it's not semi-auto (or else it would be 3~). Shots is 4+1, but that only accounts for the magazine size.

I think Artie has to take a Ready action to work the bolt.
No, working the bolt is part of the ROF 1 for bolt action rifles in 4e, there isn't a separate action required (otherwise they'd be ROF 1/2).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Ah, we changed that in 4e -- with good reason. As our playtesters (some of whom shoot regularly, and I suppose even belong to the NRA :) pointed out, if the rules assume that you can pump a shotgun and pull the trigger two times a second (or hold down the trigger and pump it three times, if it lacks a disconnector) and fire a lever-action rifle once per second, then it's unfair to stick working a bolt out at once every other second. Having seen somebody empty 10 rounds from a Lee-Enfield* in 8 seconds, I don't really have any good reason to argue with that. So in 4e, the answer is, "Yes, you can operate a bolt and then pull the trigger once per second."

--

* Commonly cited as having a rate of fire in the vicinity of 20-30 aimed shots per minute. Let's choose 25 as the happy medium. If you take a second to Aim and a second to Attack with each of those, that's 50 seconds. After the first 10 and second 10 shots, you're pausing to ram a couple of 5-round chargers into the thing, which would add 5-6 seconds each time, or 10-12 seconds, for a total 60-62 seconds. There's your minute. A further 25 seconds for Ready maneuvers to operate the bolt won't fit into a minute.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:34 PM   #193
BalanceFx

Some other examples would be cool:

Fighter with Grenade Weapons vrs melee fighter at 20 yards.

Range mage vrs melee mage at 20 feet. (Each with blink)

Mage Vrs Fighter. (Staff spell, lightning weapon, death touch etc)

I love the examples there now and emailed them out to my players just for reference. Pretty cool stuff.
BalanceFx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:16 PM   #194
The Bearded One

I just wanted to post an update before going to bed. In rewriting the combat to reflect corrected spell-casting times, I noticed that I may have gotten the All-Out Defense wrong also.

In the scenario, the fighter has a high shock penalty, so he takes AOD (double); on the same turn, one of the zombies does AOA (double); the fighter retreats a step. The confusion? Do all of the AOD defense rolls get the bonus for the retreat? (IE: he attempts to parry (+1 for retreat) but fails, then 2nd defense attempts to dodge (+3 for retreat) and succeeds.)

Is that right?

-- The Bearded One
The Bearded One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:19 PM   #195
StormCrow42

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bearded One
I just wanted to post an update before going to bed. In rewriting the combat to reflect corrected spell-casting times, I noticed that I may have gotten the All-Out Defense wrong also.

In the scenario, the fighter has a high shock penalty, so he takes AOD (double); on the same turn, one of the zombies does AOA (double); the fighter retreats a step. The confusion? Do all of the AOD defense rolls get the bonus for the retreat? (IE: he attempts to parry (+1 for retreat) but fails, then 2nd defense attempts to dodge (+3 for retreat) and succeeds.)
Yes, you benefit from a retreat vs all attacks by the opponent you retreated from.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:30 PM   #196
mook

I'd say that's right, based on B377:

"Your step back takes place immediately. It is assumed to occur as your foe is striking...If he has multiple attacks...you get your retreating bonus on all active defense rolls against all of his attacks until your next turn."

EDIT: Beaten to the punch!
Old 02-26-2008, 11:47 PM   #197
StormCrow42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook
EDIT: Beaten to the punch!
Yea, but you had a page reference :)
Old 02-27-2008, 01:44 AM   #198
mook

Just from the few weeks I've been working on this project I now have dreams about the Basic Set, and my Campaigns book falls open nicely to about 6 or 7 spots!
Old 02-27-2008, 04:46 PM   #199
The Bearded One

Default 2:2 cbt w/Magic

Okay, I just finished the 2 v 2 combat example and sent it off to themook. It doesn't end as messily as I'd hoped. And sadly, it no longer includes a Slam attack (p371) which, I feel, should get a combat example of its own.

With luck, themook will put my contribution up on his website for all of you to help fix.

-- The Bearded One
The Bearded One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:05 PM   #200
mook

Awesome BeardedOne, thanks; I'll try to get it posted soon - I have another one sent in too, I think from LordHelmet.

Tags
examples, tutorial