Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 02-26-2024, 04:34 PM   #241
TGLS

Default Re: Lost in Dreams II (OCC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Julian is so dang dark...

Mom was a dreamer? was that signed off on?
Nah, I'm just spitballing things. It could be, it might not be. I toyed around with a few ideas as to why Julian was orphaned, and that seemed to be a plausible answer. Others I came up with were:
- Julian dreamt as a baby and ended up where he did.
- Julian's parents gave up their child during the great recession. (I fixed his birthday to when Lehmann Brothers went broke)

Quote:
Low Self Image is kind of a self fulfilling prophecy to make that the case, isn't it? He is bad at things, because has a -3 whenever the pressure is on or if it's hard. That's not a small penalty. A -3 penalty pretty much whenever it really counts? That is a Nasty disad there. Self-Loathing isn't inherently a part of the Low Self Image disadvantage, but it's a fine roleplaying choice. IMO
To be fair, I think it's been treated more like Laziness, where it's basically ugly quirk and not -3 to everything.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 09:31 AM   #242
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Well, we haven't, but I have (ohoho). I'm half divided between Julian being unique (on account of being from a weird close parallel or because his mother was also a dreamer who got yanked away after giving birth), or having alternate versions. I came up with a few alternate possibilities, including:
- A version where he wasn't orphaned (or was perhaps adopted)
- A version where his carer (Wyatt Beatty) isn't a monster. Probably make Julian think he's gone mad.
- A version where he was unable to pay Beatty and he got sold off to "extract value"

Quote:
Mom was a dreamer? was that signed off on? Do we know that's been around for a generation in the game lore to even be possible?
Quote:
Nah, I'm just spitballing things. It could be, it might not be. I toyed around with a few ideas as to why Julian was orphaned, and that seemed to be a plausible answer. Others I came up with were:
- Julian dreamt as a baby and ended up where he did.
- Julian's parents gave up their child during the great recession. (I fixed his birthday to when Lehmann Brothers went broke)
To be clear, I have a very specific answer to this question.

Quote:
Ah, yes. Send in the clones. Though given that there's no blip tricks going on that seems to be a longer term thing.
Different clones have different "Cook Times". Slick's facility is a lot faster than the panogans.

Quote:
It's probably not worth a lot less than -30%, but "some clothes" and "clothes, but no load" are probably good incremental steps in-between. No encumbrance
I'll need to look up the rules for unmodified jumper.

Quote:
I was just thinking that if we did want to do a crossover, we could do something where they had to pull off a criminal enterprise since it is an area Peter would be a total novice in, but Julian would navigate with practiced skill.
Quote:
Well, it's part of the tension of the character.
If you've got Peter working as part of a heist, there is probably at least a sympathetic reason for it (I'm curious if he would have helped out with the starpus project or not).

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 11:54 AM   #243
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Points for Mars:

Peter gets three points in Yaka training, assign them how you wish.
Sweet... I thought going home for Christmas might mean I needed to return for more training before I could invest.

There are 6 Yaka skills... As you let Peter use them at default, can he take improved defaults for the ones he does not put a full point into with dabbler perks?
Quote:
Peter has the bumped IQ, Selfless, and Skinny we talked about.
Updated!

Quote:
Different clones have different "Cook Times". Slick's facility is a lot faster than the panogans.
I have been concerned about Slick making a copy of Peter, but somehow I don't think that special something that makes Dreamers unique and gives them their powers is genetic.

Or maybe it is and it doesn't copy right... watch out, it's Bizzaro-Jumpers!
Quote:
If you've got Peter working as part of a heist, there is probably at least a sympathetic reason for it (I'm curious if he would have helped out with the starpus project or not).
I'm going to have to go read it again to form that opinion, but sharing it would be a bit like monday morning quarterbacking...
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 11:55 AM   #244
TGLS

Quote:
To be clear, I have a very specific answer to this question.
Cool. I will probably latch on to the barest traces of foreshadowing and continue to speculate.
Quote:
That does make sense; they wouldn't be shooting cloned dinosaurs if it took months to make a baby dino. Then again, if Slick (or given that he's probably in prison now, his colleague Slippy) decided to make clones of Peter, I imagine it would still take like a week. Fast for Peter (who has a lot of gloss over and montage sections), Slow for Julian (who's been on the same day since last November).
Quote:
If you've got Peter working as part of a heist, there is probably at least a sympathetic reason for it
True, though it's not utterly implausible that Peter might go a little more grey. Like, if Peter decided he needed a bunch of money to feed starving orphans or something, maybe he would feel slightly more morally grey options could go on the table.
Quote:
(I'm curious if he would have helped out with the starpus project or not).
I wonder what would have happened if Julian didn't get scared of the Starpus's telepathy at the beginning there. I have this feeling Peter would have responded more enthusiastically, and that would have (?) kept Royal off the table.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 11:58 AM   #245
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
(I fixed his birthday to when Lehmann Brothers went broke)
I like where I set Peter's Birthday...
Peter was born on Leap Day 2000. So he's about to be 15 years old, but his actual 4th birthday won't be until 2016. Peter will be 84 years old on his 21st birthday.

Gonna have to find a way to take advantage of that in a contract somehow...
Old 02-27-2024, 05:18 PM   #246
the_matrix_walker

Peter is overdue for a point in Administration.

Adding
  • Administration (12) [1]

I would like to ask for a custom perk! It is in the flavor of "Classic Type" and "Photogenic" and "looks good in uniform" Perks that give a situational +1 to effective appearance level.

Nice Physique - Your body is well cut possessing little body fat and a pleasant musculature. You look great in a bathing suit and when in a state of partial to full undress, you function as one Appearance level higher.

A little something to justify Peter's recent confidence when appearing naked in strange places. I didn't want to invoke that OTHER perk... he's a kid and it's just unseemly.

If Approved, I will add -
  • Nice Physique! [1]

If I can Dabbler perk those three points for Yaka... (I know they likely usually have no default, but they do for Dreamers, so...)

If they are Will/Average and default to Will-5 for a dreamer, using four selections of the perk's 8 gives default +3, or Will-2, (the equivalent of the 3rd Ed half point, as that is one worse than the Will-1 you get for a point in an average skill. Thank you dabbler. Welcome back half point.)

I'll do that and take all 6 for 3 dabbler points (I will be just listing them as half point skills in the spreadsheet for ease) if that works for you.

If Approved, I will add - Dabbler 3 [3] AKA:
  • Yaka Healing (12) [0.5]
  • Yaka Shield (12) [0.5]
  • Yaka Voice (12) [0.5]
  • Yaka Armor (12) [0.5]
  • Yaka Blade (12) [0.5]
  • Yaka Portal (12) [0.5]

Peter has two unspent points before the Mars award, so that leaves him with 5. My pending skill list is glaring at me angrily, but I am thinking I want to pull the trigger on a level of Destiny.

If I do not, I could either put a bit more into Yaka, or go to my pending skills, the next 5 in no particular order are Research, Merchant, Camouflage, Observation and Search. They are all skills he has used quite a bit at default so picking them up is not a big stretch...

I'm leaning towards Destiny now and skills later, but do you have an opinion?
Old 02-28-2024, 08:58 AM   #247
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
There are 6 Yaka skills... As you let Peter use them at default, can he take improved defaults for the ones he does not put a full point into with dabbler perks?
Updated!
Yes, dabbler perks approved...I hope they don't stay dabbler perks though.

Quote:
I'm going to have to go read it again to form that opinion, but sharing it would be a bit like monday morning quarterbacking...
Isn't that half the fun?

Peter is very different than Julian. At risk of stating the obvious.

Quote:
That does make sense; they wouldn't be shooting cloned dinosaurs if it took months to make a baby dino. Then again, if Slick (or given that he's probably in prison now, his colleague Slippy) decided to make clones of Peter, I imagine it would still take like a week. Fast for Peter (who has a lot of gloss over and montage sections), Slow for Julian (who's been on the same day since last November).
That varies though. "New Phase" Peter has not done much gloss over or Monotage: I bet he's done more in 2024 than in 2023 and 2022 combined, I'd think. His long periods are with Kumar and Rider. My experience with the time discrepancies in Corco's villa tells me TGLs is more likely to use time as a disposable resource, and Matrix is more likely to move quickly and directly.

Quote:
I would like to ask for a custom perk! It is in the flavor of "Classic Type" and "Photogenic" and "looks good in uniform" Perks that give a situational +1 to effective appearance level.

Nice Physique - Your body is well cut possessing little body fat and a pleasant musculature. You look great in a bathing suit and when in a state of partial to full undress, you function as one Appearance level higher.

A little something to justify Peter's recent confidence when appearing naked in strange places. I didn't want to invoke that OTHER perk... he's a kid and it's just unseemly.

If Approved, I will add -
  • Nice Physique! [1]
A full level of appearance is probably too powerful, but a perk to ignore social penalties for being naked is probably a good idea

Quote:
If I can Dabbler perk those three points for Yaka... (I know they likely usually have no default, but they do for Dreamers, so...)

If they are Will/Average and default to Will-5 for a dreamer, using four selections of the perk's 8 gives default +3, or Will-2, (the equivalent of the 3rd Ed half point, as that is one worse than the Will-1 you get for a point in an average skill. Thank you dabbler. Welcome back half point.)

I'll do that and take all 6 for 3 dabbler points (I will be just listing them as half point skills in the spreadsheet for ease) if that works for you.
That works for me. half points make sense here. Healing is Per-based, not Will, and portal is IQ-based.

Quote:
Peter has two unspent points before the Mars award, so that leaves him with 5. My pending skill list is glaring at me angrily, but I am thinking I want to pull the trigger on a level of Destiny.

If I do not, I could either put a bit more into Yaka, or go to my pending skills, the next 5 in no particular order are Research, Merchant, Camouflage, Observation and Search. They are all skills he has used quite a bit at default so picking them up is not a big stretch...

I'm leaning towards Destiny now and skills later, but do you have an opinion?
I have a preference for skills, but if you want Destiny, go ahead and buy it. I think with game time you get 1 point back every four days.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 02-28-2024, 11:57 AM   #248
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Yes, dabbler perks approved...I hope they don't stay dabbler perks though.
If I use them, I'll put more points in them... I like the idea of Peter getting a broad understanding of everything he was shown in the time allotted however, and this represents that well.
Quote:
Isn't that half the fun?

Peter is very different than Julian. At risk of stating the obvious.
Okay, I figure Peter would be backing the leader of the Starpus Revolution about now.

Quote:
A full level of appearance is probably too powerful, but a perk to ignore social penalties for being naked is probably a good idea
I'm not sure what the default social penalties are, but that sounds way more cinematic and powerful than my version!

(I'm imagining a character strolling through normal activities with no one reacting to their nakedness (not what you meant, I'm sure.) lol.)

Quote:
That works for me. half points make sense here. Healing is Per-based, not Will, and portal is IQ-based.
Okay, sweet. Are there functional differences between the Broken World healing and the Yaka? Does either cure disease, or is it just structural?

((Any notes on ability details will be eagerly quoted to the Scout's Guide thread!))

Quote:
I have a preference for skills, but if you want Destiny, go ahead and buy it.
I DO want Destiny... but I can wait until you have a preference for it.

Spoiler:  

Has Peter's experience and studies brought him to to the point where he can have self taught himself a point in Thaumatology?
Old 02-29-2024, 09:35 AM   #249
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Wow, that was abrupt!
Quote:
I didn't see this coming.
Gonna chime in and say...

Yeah! Twist!
Old 02-29-2024, 11:05 AM   #250
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
If I use them, I'll put more points in them... I like the idea of Peter getting a broad understanding of everything he was shown in the time allotted however, and this represents that well.
Cool.

Quote:
Okay, I figure Peter would be backing the leader of the Starpus Revolution about now.
Or at least trying to start it. Yeah, that sounds like Peter.

Quote:
I'm not sure what the default social penalties are, but that sounds way more cinematic and powerful than my version!

(I'm imagining a character strolling through normal activities with no one reacting to their nakedness (not what you meant, I'm sure.) lol.)
Ok, when you put it that way, it doesn't sound right, does it? I suppose the assumption would be that it only applies when he hasn't had the chance to get clothing, sort of "Everyone accepts your excuse".

I suppose the thing I object to in your version is that it would apply almost all the time if shirtlessness is normal. So maybe it only applies in situations where people would normally object?

Quote:
Okay, sweet. Are there functional differences between the Broken World healing and the Yaka? Does either cure disease, or is it just structural?
Both cure disease. Yaka requires a working copy of what you are trying to fix, and of course Broken Clockwork healing requires incense.
((Any notes on ability details will be eagerly quoted to the Scout's Guide thread!))

Quote:
I DO want Destiny... but I can wait until you have a preference for it.
You've got this huge skill backlog!

Quote:
Game Time exchange rates are set by the GM, by default Per Hour abilities convert to Per In-Game-Day, and Per Session abilities convert to In-Game-Weeks (Which I think is a terrible deal, four is much more attractive... not sure if you made that determination yourself and that's why you say four, It is more consistent with the standard four-ish hour game session)
I once complained about how variable "Session" was, and Kromm said the expected number of hours in a "Session" is four. I'm not going to try to sell that to my 7:30 to 9:30 group, but I can use it elsewhere.

Quote:
With all the talk of game time vs real time vs post count... I just kind of want to do this with all the traits with recharge rates...

Quote:
Luck (Game Time, +0%; Selectivity, +10%) [17]

I can use my luck once per real hour or once per game day, as I wish. So once I use my luck, it's unavailable until an hour passes or a day passes in game, whichever happens first. That's quite useful.
That's an interesting build! quite powerful. My first thought is that its too cheap, but when I use alternate advantages, that only ups the price to [18].

It feels especially appropriate for someone who is officially "In-Universe-Lucky"

Quote:
Has Peter's experience and studies brought him to to the point where he can have self taught himself a point in Thaumatology?
I understand Peter really wants this, and I suppose it makes sense for him to eventually get some sort of deep understanding of all this phenomenon. What do you want this Thaumatology to do?

Tags
ericthered, friendpmcii, lost in dreams