Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2016, 12:32 AM   #11
Gollum
 
Gollum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: France
Default Re: Just how smart are those Neo-Coons

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr beer View Post
I keep reading this as pertaining to Racial Template design for Neo-Cons.
Yes. They are mentally limited. But it doesn't prevent some of them to be exceptional. Exactly as humans are mentally average. But it doesn't prevent some individuals to be outstandingly bright.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:37 AM   #12
Celti
 
Celti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA, Arizona, Mesa
Default Re: Just how smart are those Neo-Coons

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTTG View Post
The hard part is the computer use, definitely. I think the only reasonable explanation is that the neo-raccoons were intentionally trained in computer use beforehand. Then they would merely have to guess, or find written down, the password for the database or whatever it was they manipulated. Or maybe the company had truly abysmal cybersecurity.
If they weren't trained in computer use beforehand, how did they even know who they were going to email? Either they had computer access before, to search and plot and set things up, or else somebody contacted them with a step-by-step of "Okay, once you escape your cell: email this address, then run `format C:` and make your way to the rooftop."

If you look at the plan that way, a pair with intelligence equivalent to a human five-year-old could easily fake a stomachache, glom the tangler off the guard's belt and shoot him with it, then follow instructions they were given and sneak the rest of the way out of there.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:31 AM   #13
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'
 
simply Nathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wyoming, Michigan
Default Re: Just how smart are those Neo-Coons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
You have met 5 year olds capable of tricking and incapacitating adults followed by computer hacking to erase their presence along with contacting outsiders?
Contacting outsiders via use of a computer? Heck yes.

The incapacitation part isn't based on IQ, and these raccoons had the advantage of surprise, size, and the advantage of weaponry as soon as they sprung their ambush.
__________________
Ba-weep granah wheep minibon. Wubba lubba dub dub.
simply Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:38 AM   #14
Icelander
 
Icelander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Iceland*
Default Re: Just how smart are those Neo-Coons

One of my players has a daughter. She often watches her father use Skype to call his friends and game.

When said Munchkin was 18 months old, I got a Skype call. Skype said it was from her father, but as it turned out, it was from a tiny tyke without any assistance. Who greeted me with name and much monkey-like celebration.

I'd consider the use of digital communications to contact someone reality tested for humans under the age of 2. As for pretending to be sick, that's certainly within the range of capabilities for a human child.

As for the rest, remember, these aren't human children. That's just our way of trying to frame their intelligence.

Neo-coons are racoons that are orders of magnitude smarter than others of their species. Given that real racoons manage to be cunning little beasts on occasion, it should be no surprise that hyper-smart racoons can be even more cunning.

Might have to pin a tail on them and call 'em a weasel.
__________________
Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:45 AM   #15
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Just how smart are those Neo-Coons

Well, to be fair the vignette said that they were Doolittle virus enhanced Neo-Coons. What does it mean? I don't know, but probably increased intelligence. Why the cage is big enough to fit the guard, or how they managed to hit the guard at an effective at around a skill of 6 (-4 from default, -2 due to lack of min ST) is beyond me. Possibly the guard was bribed.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:58 AM   #16
Icelander
 
Icelander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Iceland*
Default Re: Just how smart are those Neo-Coons

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Well, to be fair the vignette said that they were Doolittle virus enhanced Neo-Coons. What does it mean? I don't know, but probably increased intelligence. Why the cage is big enough to fit the guard, or how they managed to hit the guard at an effective at around a skill of 6 (-4 from default, -2 due to lack of min ST) is beyond me. Possibly the guard was bribed.
Using a one-handed weapon in both hands reduces MinST. Using a ranged weapon at melee range allows both All-Out Attack and Telegraphic Attack.
__________________
Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:55 AM   #17
cdru
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Default Re: Just how smart are those Neo-Coons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Using a one-handed weapon in both hands reduces MinST. Using a ranged weapon at melee range allows both All-Out Attack and Telegraphic Attack.
So, the Neo-Coon with gun could have a decent chance of hitting, i guess. Especially if they aimed before. However, tanglers are two-handed weapons, which means that there's still -2 penalty for not being strong enough

Last edited by cdru; 08-09-2016 at 06:58 AM.
cdru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:23 AM   #18
MechaMage
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Default Re: Just how smart are those Neo-Coons

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdru View Post
So, the Neo-Coon with gun could have a decent chance of hitting, i guess. Especially if they aimed before. However, tanglers are two-handed weapons, which means that there's still -2 penalty for not being strong enough
But they can probably claim somewhere to the order of +8 if they're at point blank range. Remember, if this is a true ambush, the guard is certainly partially or totally surprised. Ordinary security guards definitely lack Combat Reflexes, as their training is mostly going to be concerned with procedure rather than reacting to small mammal attacks. I don't think they exactly merit a fright check, but I might personally penalise guard's IQ roll for surprise a little to represent the sheer absurdity of being ambushed by hyper-intelligent animals.

As for MinST, they might both be handling it, which would probably let them add BLs and recalculate ST as usual, maybe giving them a better hope. Or maybe one of them grappled the guard. But there is the concern of SM modifiers too: -3 for trying to use an SM 0 appropriate weapon. The neo-coons could possibly have either Guns skill (Guns 12 would probably end up rolling about a 14 to hit after modifiers, at first glance) or at least some sort of perk or trait to represent them having grown accustomed to using SM 0 gear thanks to living in an SM0 society? Like a wildcard version of Bigger Weapons (SM) to let them ignore a level or two of size difference for gear they're familiar with, perhaps.
MechaMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:39 AM   #19
spacemonkey
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Default Re: Just how smart are those Neo-Coons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
You have met 5 year olds capable of tricking and incapacitating adults followed by computer hacking to erase their presence along with contacting outsiders?
It's a prison guard. IQ-4 template, unless the evil overlord had a neo-coon or smarter character review their SOP, plans, hiring practices, etc.
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:51 AM   #20
tshiggins
 
tshiggins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Denver, Colorado
Default Re: Just how smart are those Neo-Coons

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMage View Post
But they can probably claim somewhere to the order of +8 if they're at point blank range. Remember, if this is a true ambush, the guard is certainly partially or totally surprised. Ordinary security guards definitely lack Combat Reflexes, as their training is mostly going to be concerned with procedure rather than reacting to small mammal attacks. I don't think they exactly merit a fright check, but I might personally penalise guard's IQ roll for surprise a little to represent the sheer absurdity of being ambushed by hyper-intelligent animals.

As for MinST, they might both be handling it, which would probably let them add BLs and recalculate ST as usual, maybe giving them a better hope. Or maybe one of them grappled the guard. But there is the concern of SM modifiers too: -3 for trying to use an SM 0 appropriate weapon. The neo-coons could possibly have either Guns skill (Guns 12 would probably end up rolling about a 14 to hit after modifiers, at first glance) or at least some sort of perk or trait to represent them having grown accustomed to using SM 0 gear thanks to living in an SM0 society? Like a wildcard version of Bigger Weapons (SM) to let them ignore a level or two of size difference for gear they're familiar with, perhaps.
That particular vignette gave me an idea for a character I wanted to play in a THS campaign. A third-generation "Nova-coon" that was even smarter, and a bit larger. He had been brought up in an enclave outside of Vancouver, where his elders had established a community after escaping from a bio-tech research firm outside of Fort Collins, Colorado.

Nova-Coon Template

Attribute Modifiers
ST -5 [-50]; DX +2 [40]; IQ unmodified [0]; HT+1 [10] Total: 0

Secondary Characteristic Modifiers
SM -2; Per +2 [10]; Will +1 [5] Total: +15

Advantages
Claws (Sharp Claws) [5]; DR 1 [5]; Night Vision 1 [1];
Super Climbing 1 [3]; Teeth (Sharp Teeth) [1]
Attractive Appearance (Cute and Fuzzy, +1) [4] Total: +19

Perks
Fur [1] Total: + 1

Disadvantages
Disturbing Voice (Squeaky/Chittery) [-10];
Curious (12) [-5]; Horizontal [-10];
Sleepy (1/2 the time) [-8];
Social Stigma (Valuable Property) [-10]
or Second-Class Citizens (-5) Total: -43 (or -38)

I thought that would make for a cool mechanic character, with all sorts of useful tech skills. His small size and superb DX would offer some nice advantages, as well. The disads were obvious, I thought, and I added in that he wanted to earn enough money to buy his community big, strong shells of some sort so they'd feel safer.

I actually adapted him for a Shadow Run one-shot that G&AInc thought about running, but he wasn't keen on the idea, so the character has sat on my hard drive, for a long time.

As for the vignette, itself, I didn't have any problems with it. One of the neo-coons jumps on the face of the security guard, and then hangs on with teeth and claws long enough for the second, sitting on a table next to the door, to reach out and grab the tangler. Take a second to aim, and then glom the guard and scamper.
__________________
--
MXLP:9 [JD=1, DK=1, DM-M=1, M(FAW)=1, SS=2, Nym=1 (nose coffee), sj=1 (nose cocoa), Maz=1]
"Some days, I just don't know what to think." -Daryl Dixon.

Last edited by tshiggins; 08-09-2016 at 10:06 AM.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bio-tech

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.