Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-16-2015, 02:49 AM   #81
Ashtagon

Default Re: [Bio-Tech] Template for Female Space Colonists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Chromosomal gender comes from an input from the male parent.

Accordingly, for the female parent to determine gender you'll use either:

-anti-selection (discouraging/killing male embryos); or

-have some magic-science way for the gestating female to actually manipulate the embryo's chromosomes.

The first actually reduces birth rates and only makes sense if there is a serious and as yet unstated resource constraint. The second sounds like higher tech than has been posited so far.
Just occurred to me, this could also be achieved by the mother having some kind of gland that injects small quantities of testosterone into the foetus at the critical weeks. That would cause the foetus to continue development along male lines, and then once its own sex organs have had their development path confirmed, it would be self-sustaining. You'd then get a person who was male in every respect except chromosomally.

Disadvantage: These males would only be able to father female children, and any XY males subjected to this uterine environment might be hyper-masculine in some way.

Last edited by Ashtagon; 05-16-2015 at 02:53 AM.
Ashtagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 05:04 AM   #82
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
Just occurred to me, this could also be achieved by the mother having some kind of gland that injects small quantities of testosterone into the foetus at the critical weeks. That would cause the foetus to continue development along male lines, and then once its own sex organs have had their development path confirmed, it would be self-sustaining. You'd then get a person who was male in every respect except chromosomally.

Disadvantage: These males would only be able to father female children, and any XY males subjected to this uterine environment might be hyper-masculine in some way.
You'd have to move a number of genes from the Y to the X chromosome for this to work, as the SRY-gene doesn't merely turn on testosterone production, and there are other genes on the Y-chromosome that are essential for a functional, fertile male.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:05 AM   #83
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Anti-selection could also include selectively killing or inhibiting Y-chromosome-bearing sperm, rather than weighing in only after fertilization.
True, though adjustments of the male colonists don't seem to be contemplated in this scenario.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:41 AM   #84
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
True, though adjustments of the male colonists don't seem to be contemplated in this scenario.
While obviously it's simpler to skew sperm populations from the male side, it is not necessarily impossible to do from the female side.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:12 AM   #85
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
While obviously it's simpler to skew sperm populations from the male side, it is not necessarily impossible to do from the female side.
Of course, as mentioned above. Either way, such methods impede the stated objective of population growth.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:52 AM   #86
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Of course, as mentioned above. Either way, such methods impede the stated objective of population growth.
How do you figure? I suppose it might be a problem if after going to all this trouble you shipped a bunch of low-fertility males, but sperm is not generally the limiting resource.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:49 AM   #87
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
You'd have to move a number of genes from the Y to the X chromosome for this to work, as the SRY-gene doesn't merely turn on testosterone production, and there are other genes on the Y-chromosome that are essential for a functional, fertile male.
I've heard of fertile males with XX. Few, but some.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:52 AM   #88
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post

One aspect of excessive exposure to uterine testosterone for males is increased prevalence of homosexuality. As mothers produce more with each male child, it's why the more older brothers a man has, the more likely he is to be gay.

Strangely, no uterine "risk factor" has been found for lesbianism, that I know of.

Forcing "deviant" sex selection of fetuses would naturally lead to boat loads of gender disphoria.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:16 PM   #89
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
I'd keep that modification. Why not make it fast and painless, if we can? Big impact on productivity. A lot of women would probably like to give up the menstruation part, too. I'd get rid of the buxom bisexual harem stuff, unless the only woman in the game was the one in the group who I know would think it was hilarious.
Easy Childbirth would be a very useful trait for any world. Whether or not they wanted population growth.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 01:57 PM   #90
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Easy Childbirth would be a very useful trait for any world. Whether or not they wanted population growth.
Along with easy pregnancy, especially in the last couple of months.
Making it so that no one has morning sickness instead of just some lucky women like my mom.

Tags
bio-tech