Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-15-2015, 04:04 PM   #71
Gold & Appel Inc

Default Re: [Bio-Tech] Template for Female Space Colonists

Quote:
Originally Posted by trechriron View Post
[snip] Childbirth is painful and slow. [snip]
I'd keep that modification. Why not make it fast and painless, if we can? Big impact on productivity. A lot of women would probably like to give up the menstruation part, too. I'd get rid of the buxom bisexual harem stuff, unless the only woman in the game was the one in the group who I know would think it was hilarious.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:39 PM   #72
trechriron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
I'd keep that modification. Why not make it fast and painless, if we can? Big impact on productivity. A lot of women would probably like to give up the menstruation part, too. I'd get rid of the buxom bisexual harem stuff, unless the only woman in the game was the one in the group who I know would think it was hilarious.
I agree these would be fantastic mods for an upgrade, Bioroid, etc. that a player (character) chooses! NOT part of the clone sex submissive barbie doll created by some misogynistic cult-government trying to "fix" girl genetics because #girlsareicky and #girlsshoulddowhatItellthem. :-)

The former is a potential business opportunity or even a push by an equality movement for improving women's lives ("why should women have to be out for weeks or months giving birth!!" "we have technology we don't need periods!").

The latter COULD make for a fantastic villain culture depending on your groups desire to deal with such subjects... (freeing sex slaves is a major theme in the new Mad Max movie for example...)
My Blog
trechriron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:42 PM   #73
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
If that can be done without having brains be incompletely developed, yeah. It would not be a worthwhile sacrifice on a colony to have the future generation be reduced in intelligence. Painlessness can be arranged by future anesthetics. As for speed, well that might be well enough if it isn't paid for by insufficiently developed children.

Another thing is to make for greater protection of the womb to avoid miscarriages. But perhaps that is best provided by armor rather then the risks of genetic meddling.

As for the other thing, all one can say is,"Gee whis, can they all go around in bikinis everywhere? And can the guys all be ridiculous shirtless, musclebound ogres?"
Old 05-15-2015, 06:04 PM   #74
Angle

Again, just use Exowombs. Better all round.

I'm actually considering putting up my own freaky colony idea, though mine is a bit different - it's basically a way to get lulz by shocking your players. "They do WHAT?"

Not that it's not an interesting idea in it's own right, and provides lot's of potential for adventure, of course.
Angle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:04 PM   #75
Donny Brook

Chromosomal gender comes from an input from the male parent.

Accordingly, for the female parent to determine gender you'll use either:

-anti-selection (discouraging/killing male embryos); or

-have some magic-science way for the gestating female to actually manipulate the embryo's chromosomes.

The first actually reduces birth rates and only makes sense if there is a serious and as yet unstated resource constraint. The second sounds like higher tech than has been posited so far.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:11 PM   #76
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurae View Post
... 2. Minimum viable population relies on total number of individuals, regardless of gender. Having more women than men just reduces genetic diversity because the number of pairings each generation is limited by the number of men.
Quibble -- the relevant number is the number of breeding individuals. This doesn't alter the main point you were making though.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:42 PM   #77
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post

-have some magic-science way for the gestating female to actually manipulate the embryo's chromosomes.
Actually, it's imaginable that you could have a bio-tech implementation of the Ericsson Method, and maybe other methods. Might be more than TL9, though.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:14 PM   #78
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Actually, it's imaginable that you could have a bio-tech implementation of the Ericsson Method, and maybe other methods. Might be more than TL9, though.
It's an anti-selection method and falls into the first of my categories.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:27 PM   #79
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Chromosomal gender comes from an input from the male parent.

The first actually reduces birth rates and only makes sense if there is a serious and as yet unstated resource constraint. The second sounds like higher tech than has been posited so far.
Anti-selection could also include selectively killing or inhibiting Y-chromosome-bearing sperm, rather than weighing in only after fertilization.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:34 AM   #80
Flyndaran
Untagged

Hostile uterine environments already moderately select for female births. But that's mostly by killing off the weaker male zygotes and fetuses.

Tags
bio-tech