Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2016, 02:36 PM   #1
Tom Mazanec
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Default Just how smart are those Neo-Coons

GURPS Bio-Tech pg 90
The two Neo-Coons are 3 and 4 years old. They fake a stomach-ache, lure their guard into their cage, took his tangler and glommed him to the wall. Then they used the computer to send out e-mail and wiped the system before getting loose.
Neo-Coons have IQ-3 [-60].

Uhhhh...huh?
Tom Mazanec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:17 PM   #2
Gollum
 
Gollum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: France
Default Re: Just how smart are those Neo-Coons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mazanec View Post
GURPS Bio-Tech pg 90
The two Neo-Coons are 3 and 4 years old. They fake a stomach-ache, lure their guard into their cage, took his tangler and glommed him to the wall. Then they used the computer to send out e-mail and wiped the system before getting loose.
Neo-Coons have IQ-3 [-60].

Uhhhh...huh?
IQ-3 just means that average Neo-Coons' IQ is 7. Their is surely far much higher. That is, at least for one of them: the one who planned that break-out.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:52 PM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Forest Grove, Beaverton, Oregon
Default Re: Just how smart are those Neo-Coons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
IQ-3 just means that average Neo-Coons' IQ is 7. Their is surely far much higher. That is, at least for one of them: the one who planned that break-out.
Their Intelligence Quotient would have to be an order of magnitude greater than humans as no 4 year old on earth ever could have done all that. But that's not what Gurps IQ is.
Gurps IQ is about skills and defaults not how long it took to learn them or how inventive you are when applying said knowledge.
__________________
Beware, poor communication skills. No offense intended. If offended, it just means that I failed my writing skill check.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:54 PM   #4
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics
 
roguebfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Melbourne FL, Formerly Wellington NZ
Default Re: Just how smart are those Neo-Coons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Their Intelligence Quotient would have to be an order of magnitude greater than humans as no 4 year old on earth ever could have done all that. But that's not what Gurps IQ is.
Gurps IQ is about skills and defaults not how long it took to learn them or how inventive you are when applying said knowledge.
B20 list a Human 5yo as on aver IQ7 [not the Neo-coon bing 4 is ervelvent]
But IQ8 being a 10yo

And I can easly see a human child in the IQ range doing thing like Fake such ache to get out of going to school. the plan is not that far fetch.
__________________
Rogue the Bronze Firelizard
Gerald Grenier, Jr. Hail Eris!
Rogue's Weyr
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:47 PM   #5
Flyndaran
Untagged
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Forest Grove, Beaverton, Oregon
Default Re: Just how smart are those Neo-Coons

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
B20 list a Human 5yo as on aver IQ7 [not the Neo-coon bing 4 is ervelvent]
But IQ8 being a 10yo

And I can easly see a human child in the IQ range doing thing like Fake such ache to get out of going to school. the plan is not that far fetch.
You have met 5 year olds capable of tricking and incapacitating adults followed by computer hacking to erase their presence along with contacting outsiders?
__________________
Beware, poor communication skills. No offense intended. If offended, it just means that I failed my writing skill check.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:31 AM   #6
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'
 
simply Nathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wyoming, Michigan
Default Re: Just how smart are those Neo-Coons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
You have met 5 year olds capable of tricking and incapacitating adults followed by computer hacking to erase their presence along with contacting outsiders?
Contacting outsiders via use of a computer? Heck yes.

The incapacitation part isn't based on IQ, and these raccoons had the advantage of surprise, size, and the advantage of weaponry as soon as they sprung their ambush.
__________________
Ba-weep granah wheep minibon. Wubba lubba dub dub.
simply Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:39 AM   #7
spacemonkey
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Default Re: Just how smart are those Neo-Coons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
You have met 5 year olds capable of tricking and incapacitating adults followed by computer hacking to erase their presence along with contacting outsiders?
It's a prison guard. IQ-4 template, unless the evil overlord had a neo-coon or smarter character review their SOP, plans, hiring practices, etc.
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:11 AM   #8
Gollum
 
Gollum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: France
Default Re: Just how smart are those Neo-Coons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Their Intelligence Quotient would have to be an order of magnitude greater than humans as no 4 year old on earth ever could have done all that. But that's not what Gurps IQ is.
Gurps IQ is about skills and defaults not how long it took to learn them or how inventive you are when applying said knowledge.
IQ is not only about skills and default.

Players also make IQ rolls to understand something (see Sense Roll, Basic Set, page 358), to snap out from mental stun, from surprise, and so on. GMs use an IQ-based roll every time intelligence is required instead of the usual controlling attribute ...

IQ also governs how fast a character learns since someone with a very high IQ will need far much less character points (and so, with improvement through study rules, far much less hours) to become a professional (basic skill of 12) or an expert (basic skill of 14) than a character with average IQ.

Brief, as described in Basic Set, page 15, IQ ...
broadly measures brainpower, including creativity, intuition, memory, perception, reason, sanity, and willpower.
It's not just Intelligence Quotient, sure, but it is also is. A character with IQ 6 or less is mentally disabled and one with IQ 7 has mental limitations that are obvious to anyone who meets him.

Last edited by Gollum; 08-09-2016 at 12:22 AM.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:24 AM   #9
mr beer
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Default Re: Just how smart are those Neo-Coons

I keep reading this as pertaining to Racial Template design for Neo-Cons.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:32 AM   #10
Gollum
 
Gollum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: France
Default Re: Just how smart are those Neo-Coons

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr beer View Post
I keep reading this as pertaining to Racial Template design for Neo-Cons.
Yes. They are mentally limited. But it doesn't prevent some of them to be exceptional. Exactly as humans are mentally average. But it doesn't prevent some individuals to be outstandingly bright.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bio-tech

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.